My new (used) Fluke 175 DMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new (used) Fluke 175 DMM

I have recently found having multiple DMM's to be very handy so I was looking to get a third one. I was able to find this Fluke 175 at a local pawn shop and was able to get it for $55 including tax. For a bonus it also came with the strangest amp meter I have ever seen.

I have included before and after cleaning pictures for comparison. The fuses are good and the DC voltage reading was spot on with my Fluke 77 testing a 1.5V battery. I was also careful not to remove the yellow stenciling marking the secondary functions of the front while cleaning like I somehow managed to do with my Fluke 77. The leads it came with will also work well with my Fluke TL-81A test kit.

I have not yet tested the clamp meter but I was able to download a manual from the manufacturers web site. Since it is analog I would think it is old but I may be mistaken. All the clamp meters I have ever seen were digital so I am fascinated by this one.

Anyway I thought I made a good score and wanted to share it.
    Attached Files

Re: My new (used) Fluke 175 DMM

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    I was able to find this Fluke 175 at a local pawn shop and was able to get it for $55 including tax.
    Another retiredcaps' bonus point for a teardown of your 175 multimeter.

Another good score for $55. That is cheaper than the going price on ebay for a 175 ($80 to $120).

As you can see the 77 IV and 175 share a common platform. The extra silicone leads are nice as well and I can tell the tips are very sharp (enough to draw blood if you are not careful).

The only real differences between the two are

1) 77IV is not True RMS whereas the 175 is
    2) 175 has no backlight, but could potentially be hacked to have one
    3) 175 has slightly better accuracy specifications
    4) 175 has a few extra HZ functions
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Another retiredcaps' bonus point for a teardown The only real differences between the two are

1) 77IV is not True RMS whereas the 175 is
      2) 175 has no backlight, but could potentially be hacked to have one
      3) 175 has slightly better accuracy specifications
      4) 175 has a few extra HZ functions
      5) 175 has a 600mV AC range for a resolution of 0.1mVac, 77IV only has a 6.000V AC range for a resolution of 0.001Vac.

Great score for $55.
      Last edited by modemhead; 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM. Reason: congrats on the score

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post

As you can see the 77 IV and 175 share a common platform. The extra silicone leads are nice as well and I can tell the tips are very sharp (enough to draw blood if you are not careful).

I have been using the leads and meter and I have to say I really like the leads. The pointy tips easily cut through oxidation and you do not have to worry about slippage like you do with the standard probes. The TL-81A kit has some pointy probes also but they are long, slender and most likely easily bent so I have only used them on a limited basis. These seem stronger than even the normal probes so I am not hesitant to use them in the least.

There were also some spring loaded ends (see attached picture) included with this but the red one was broken. I have already made use of the black one, as it is handy for quickly testing the voltage on many points that have a common ground.

As far as the meter is concerned, for my purposes I can tell no real difference between it and the 77IV. I will hopefully have the opportunity in the near future to compare the ability to do true RMS readings with the readings of the 77IV. This of course should only matter in certain circumstances.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X