Which used bench multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which used bench multimeter

OK so I don't need a bench meter. My Fluke 87 and 77 are really good enough.
    But, I wouldn't mind a bench meter to live on my bench next to my scope and power supply to be always on and ready.
    And I don't need any more accuracy than my 87 but I wouldn't say no to more digits. That said, I don't want to spend a lot either.

So, if you were keeping an eye open on Ebay etc for a good deal on a used bench meter, what brands/models would you watch for?
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Which used bench multimeter

Well a Fluke 8050A it can be a good candidate if you do not need more than 20,000 counts.

Edit: I will add a picture of my meters, its model has its own strong points.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
      But, I wouldn't mind a bench meter to live on my bench next to my scope and power supply to be always on and ready.

So, if you were keeping an eye open on Ebay etc for a good deal on a used bench meter, what brands/models would you watch for?
      I wish you would have posted this a few days earlier because I thought about it and decided not to get it, but I'm surprised it went unpurchased for such a long time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321071052374

Shipping would have cost around $30 to Canada + $15 BIN.

ModemHead noted that the nicd batteries would need replacing soon due to the BT symbol.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep that model in mind.
        Quite a range of prices on Ebay. Any other models come to mind?
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I recently acquired a Fluke 8600A and I like it very much. It's a 20,000 count 4-1/2 digit meter like the 8050A, but it has an LED display (a proper bench multimeter should glow in the dark.) It also has auto as well as manual ranging. The 200mV and 2V ranges are spec'd at greater than 1Gohm impedance, I actually measured 10Gohm on mine. I find this very useful.

These models are old, but volts and ohms and amps are still the same as they used to be.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by modemhead View Post
            , but it has an LED display (a proper bench multimeter should glow in the dark.)
            Cool, I'll keep that one in mind as well. I saw your 8050 LED conversion, that looks awesome.

Comment

Another alternative if you want a multimeter that is always powered on is to buy a handheld Fluke 8000 series and use the A81" AC adapter.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Some more reading about digital meter.
                http://www.designworldonline.com/how...er-accuracy/#_
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  Another alternative if you want a multimeter that is always powered on is to buy a handheld Fluke 8000 series and use the A81" AC adapter.
                  Thanks, but I do want the form factor of a bench meter (should have mentioned that in my initial post)

Comment

I wish you would have posted this a few days earlier because I thought about it and decided not to get it

Shipping would have cost around $30 to Canada + $15 BIN.
                    I was never known for my good timing. That would have been a good deal.

Comment

I was never known for my good timing. That would have been a good deal.
                      Subscribe to this thread and/or I'll send you a PM when I see a good BIN deal with reasonable shipping costs to Canada. I monitor the auctions daily.
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Subscribe to this thread and/or I'll send you a PM when I see a good BIN deal with reasonable shipping costs to Canada. I monitor the auctions daily.
                        Thanks. will do.

Saw one in Surrey BC for a good price. 3 problems. Descriptions says "Powers on" nothing else.
                        Seller has 0 feedback.
                        Seller has been on Ebay for 2 days. Yeah, maybe not.

Comment

Many old 8050As have the -01 option, which means they have NiCd batteries inside. The power supplies on these models use the batteries as a voltage regulator, so when the batteries get old and crusty the unit no long powers on, but the "Bat Chg" light on the front will light up. It's an easy fix to solder in some replacement cells, or you can modify the PCB to work w/o the cells.

Good thing is that you can get those units cheap, but it's bad that you will not be able to see if the LCD works, which is another common problem on these units. They 'bleed' and turn black.

Comment

Primarily I was up to for an 8050A with battery option, and I did buy one with all the outside markings to indicate that is was what I was looking.
                            By opening up the meter, the PCB was had an modification by Fluke, which was converting the PCB with battery option in to a non battery powered one.

The seller told me that Fluke did some of those ( afterward modifications) so to please some large customers.
                            I did get an discount after my finding from the eBay seller, but the point is that I did not get an meter capable to operate on battery ....

The PCB with the inductor at the right replaced the charging circuit,
                            Which usually looks as one black box.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok Guys,
                              I cheat.
                              If it's worth doing it's worth over doing.

Way back in my deep dark past I used to work for a company that made automatic test equipment for the US Navy.

http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm...sStory&id=3217

We had to have the very best equipment to service the items used on the VAST System.

That included every long string DMM available at the time.

25 years later I was able to afford one such meter.
                              The HP3456 is a big systems bench meter.
                              It also has a 6.5 digit display, true RMS AC section and a four wire ohms function.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9010884...57628575273797

Use it mostly for fixing big ham radio power supply's. Measuring AC ripple down to the 'gnats ass' kind of numbers.

I think I paid $100 for it shipped on Ebay. I got real lucky, all of it worked.

Also look up the Fluke 8500 series, last time I looked they were up to 8508 or so. Again amazing instruments.

The HP3455 is also very good.

Had one of these for a few weeks 'way back when', this was a stunning bit of gear.

http://www.testequipmentconnection.c...0-51-80-90.php

Also look up the Fluke 8800 with the right options, that is a tough mother.
                              A Fluke 8300 is worth the effort too. It has lightening fast reading ability.

Hope this helps.
                              Jack Crow
                              "You are, what you do, when it counts"
                              The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
                              Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
                              You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
                              But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
                              If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

Thanks, Jack. I'll expand my watch list.
                                I'm not against overkill, as long as the price is right
                                I've read a few threads over on EEV, and some of the HPs gets good marks. The Fluke 45 is pretty, but not as well received, and it's a tad pricey.
                                I just noticed the 8050A only goes to 2A for current.
                                Not a show-stopper, but would prefer 10. The 8300 might be a bit big for my taste.

Comment

Well, I went a bit overboard, couldn't resist:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KEITHLEY-2002...ht_2162wt_1186

Just kidding! Holy crap there are some expensive meters out there!

Actually got a Fluke 8840A for around $200.00 More than I was originally looking to spend, but looks nice.
                                  Will post some details when it arrives.

Comment

out of all the bench meters in my college's labs, my favorite by far is the old HP 3478A... it has 4 wire resistance among other things.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well, I went a bit overboard,
                                      Wow, I didn't realize you were looking more than 10x the original 8050A $$$ that I suggested.

Can you be one of my customers?

Looking forward to the pictures and first impressions.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize you were looking more than 10x the original 8050A $$$ that I suggested.
                                        Well I wasn't really, but it's so darned pretty. (I sound like an Apple customer )

Comment

Working...
                                        X