Cheap places to buy broken Lcd tvs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap places to buy broken Lcd tvs?

Where do you guys buy your broken Lcd tvs to fix yourself?

I've been using Craigslist but there is not much selection in my area.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cheap places to buy broken Lcd tvs?

I have seen them in pawn shops, they usually want too much for them IMO. If you find something you like, you may could talk the price down.

Comment

My local grocery store has a corkboard near the entrance for people to advertise babysitting, lost pets etc. After a couple months I had to pull my handwritten note offering cash for nonworking flat panel tv's and computer moniters down, as I had more projects than I had room for. If I averaged the cost paid per set, it is around ONE dollar apiece LOL

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwise View Post
        My local grocery store has a corkboard near the entrance for people to advertise babysitting, lost pets etc. After a couple months I had to pull my handwritten note offering cash for nonworking flat panel tv's and computer moniters down, as I had more projects than I had room for. If I averaged the cost paid per set, it is around ONE dollar apiece LOL
        LOL, that is a truly awesome Idea!!!

I like the $1 price point lolol

Comment

In my side of the pond, you get 30% discount on the new.. if you hand over the old one at the store for recycling.
          If you sale the remote control on eBay, you get even more than 1$.

Dear business man, you need a better plan.

Comment

I was under the impression he meant that he is buying the displays off of people for an AVG of $1 each.

Comment

I used to find them all the time on craigslist. Can still find them but a lot harder lately as more people are doing the same thing.

Have an app on my phone that alerts me for new postings and that has helped.

Comment

Which App are you using that sends alerts?

Comment

I put an ad on CL and had a ton of emails that turned out lucrative. Now it has dried up!

Comment

I've been doing Craigslist. Some people are outrageous, ie $350 for a 50in sony that appears as if someone put a brick through the front of it. But I routinely get them for $10-$20 each with remotes and stands.

Comment

Wow. In my area people are asking for an AVG of $100 for a 46" lcd that does not power on.

Comment

Any recycling centers around ? I'm in a rural area where keepers are nice enough to let you pick up a thing when you ask them, as long as there are not too many people around.

Comment

Recycling centers have broken tvs?. Interesting , I didn't think to check with them.

Are they heavily damaged when they are in the center?

Comment

Originally posted by FlipTV View Post
                            I was under the impression he meant that he is buying the displays off of people for an AVG of $1 each.
                            Thats exactly what I meant. I got many calls from people wanting 50-100$ for non working sets and I just told them good luck. Several called and said just come get it for free to get it out of their house. A couple old ladies talked me into setting up their new tv's for the old one. In the end I think the most I paid for one was $20 for a 60" samsung plasma.

For the sheer number of tv's I had in the storage shed it came out to the $1 each.
                            Last edited by fleetwise; 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Recycling centers have broken tvs?. Interesting , I didn't think to check with them.

Are they heavily damaged when they are in the center?

It depends of the center really. In the ones I go to, it's a big metallic case where people place they're dead electronics in, so they're don't see much violence, most of the big flat screen TVs I find are there for smashed screens, and they're too old for me to bother. But today I got a 32" LED FullHD Philips TV in near perfect shape (not even two years old!), just a very small scratch on the screen, barely visible (might even be dirt). It was on top of the pile and must have been thrown just before I arrived. I also found a Samsung T220 back in november which has been my main screen since then, and many many 19" and 17" computer screen and countless computers.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                                It depends of the center really. In the ones I go to, it's a big metallic case where people place they're dead electronics in, so they're don't see much violence, most of the big flat screen TVs I find are there for smashed screens, and they're too old for me to bother. But today I got a 32" LED FullHD Philips TV in near perfect shape (not even two years old!), just a very small scratch on the screen, barely visible (might even be dirt). It was on top of the pile and must have been thrown just before I arrived. I also found a Samsung T220 back in november which has been my main screen since then, and many many 19" and 17" computer screen and countless computers.
                                I'm going to have to check this out tomorrow. I hope they don't have a problem with people going to look for electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwise View Post
                                  Thats exactly what I meant. I got many calls from people wanting 50-100$ for non working sets and I just told them good luck. Several called and said just come get it for free to get it out of their house. A couple old ladies talked me into setting up their new tv's for the old one. In the end I think the most I paid for one was $20 for a 60" samsung plasma.

For the sheer number of tv's I had in the storage shed it came out to the $1 each.
                                  How old were the screens that people were giving you on average?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
                                    In the ones I go to, it's a big metallic case where people place they're dead electronics in,
                                    I asked at a recycle place and they told me that once an item is placed inside the recycle "cage" or "area", it is their property. Removal is considered theft.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Which App are you using that sends alerts?
                                      Android - 'CLapp' and 'Clapp Notify' both free from Playstore.

I also agree, they have dried up in my area also.

Comment

Gumtree, in the UK, almost exclusively. Rare one from off the curb, had three so far. Two were easy to fix, the other had a completely smashed screen (Polaroid 32", piece of junk anyway...)

On Gumtree I pay from £20 to £60 for a TV. £20 for a 32" generic, which I'd sell for £65~£100, £30 for a 32" good brand, which I'd sell for £90~£130, and £40 generally for most LCDs above 32". I paid £60 for a 50" 1080p Panasonic, shame I broke the screen working on that one. I'd -LOVE- to get a 60" plasma for $20, but that ain't happening here, large screens are quite rare in Europe, we actually don't watch that much TV...

eBay ain't too bad if you're prepared to pay high for some good models. I paid £71 for a 46" 1080p Panasonic plasma, but in the end, the only problem was a loose cable, so that was an awesome find!
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X