• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Originally posted by stj View Post
    16v was a minimum figure,

104 = 100nf
    103 = 10nf
    cheers stj it wasnt really the voltage i was worried as you said 10 uf these are 100uf will that be ok?

Comment

fine, they are only power-smoothing

Comment

cheers stj i will have ago tomorrow at building this kit and post the results.

Comment

upgrades
          http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crystal-units/8149440/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/voltag...ences/5343037/

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/idc-connectors/6257252/

and:
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272041588746
          Last edited by stj; 06-19-2016, 05:27 PM.

Comment

next time i place a rs order i will add those too it stj what will i need too do regarding software upgrades ive got to admit ive never dealt with this side of things ie re programing chips etc so i guess i will need a chip re programmer?

Comment

updated the previous post.
              Last edited by stj; 06-19-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                updated the previous post.
                Thanks again i will get the kit built up and tested etc then will order the upgrades and go from there.

Comment

btw, you need a decent cap to calibrate it.
                  100n - 1uf preferably film type.
                  i use a 220nf polyester cap.
                  you can salvage one from some junk.

Comment

cheers stj i have already got a pack of 100nf polyester caps here so willl use one of these if its ok just to clarify something each time you remove the 9volt battery do you have too re calabrate these units? (i always do but wasnt sure if needed too)

Comment

update for stj ive built the kit up as per your list bad news does not power up on pin 7 and 22 of the empty ic socket i get about 1.46v should be 5v i think? the screen does flash very quickly with the ic installed, now i dont want to start swopping resistors around etc as its really hard to remove them and leave a clear hole in the pcb the good news is the ebay seller of the kit has refunded me fully so ive just ordered a pre built kit from a diffrent store but exactly the same board revision etc so when it comes i will check all resistor values as per good working tester and the one ive built as a kit and see where ive gone wrong i did double check all the resistor values today using the hobby-hour calculator and all seems spot on with your list so will update this thread as soon as the pre built kit arrives.
                      Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                        cheers stj i have already got a pack of 100nf polyester caps here so willl use one of these if its ok just to clarify something each time you remove the 9volt battery do you have too re calabrate these units? (i always do but wasnt sure if needed too)
                        it's saved in the eeprom.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                          update for stj ive built the kit up as per your list bad news does not power up on pin 7 and 22 of the empty ic socket i get about 1.46v should be 5v i think? the screen does flash very quickly with the ic installed, now i dont want to start swopping resistors around etc as its really hard to remove them and leave a clear hole in the pcb the good news is the ebay seller of the kit has refunded me fully so ive just ordered a pre built kit from a diffrent store but exactly the same board revision etc so when it comes i will check all resistor values as per good working tester and the one ive built as a kit and see where ive gone wrong i did double check all the resistor values today using the hobby-hour calculator and all seems spot on with your list so will update this thread as soon as the pre built kit arrives.
                          short the emitter and collector on the 4673 transistor and try again - not sure what the hell a 4673 is anyway!

Comment

im not sure what it is either no data sheet that i can see and the numbers rite as just checked wasnt sure wich pins to link but tried all combinatons no change hopefully pre built tester will be here soon last kit only took 9 days to arrive.
                            ive emailed all the sellers selling this version of the kit none come with part location/values etc, instructions and none will send me a picture so we can see resistor colour bands clearly i think thats why i got a refund so fast too as maybe other people buying these kits are having trouble too.
                            Last edited by vinceroger69; 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM.

Comment

short the center pin to the pin nearest the battery + lead.

then you should see 9v on the rightmost pin of the surface-mount 1117 regulator, and 5v coming out of the tab.

if you dont, check the electrolytics arent reversed and check between those points and ground for a short.
                              because frankly - there is nothing else involved in generating the 5v.

Comment

bear with me stj im going over each part ive fitted just too double check my parts ive fitted are in the correct locations etc and just nipping to get my multi meter back as was using a cheap one (neighbours borrowing my good one)

Comment

So a update with my good meter and new battery pins 7 and 22 5.01 v when hold rotary switch down bad news screen will only stay lit with no writing on screen just backlight? when rotary switch is held down no led on board lit when testing voltage or when switch held down.

Comment

i dont understand what you said!

what happens if you press the encoder for a second?

btw, the led wont light when the button is held down because of how it's wired.
                                    Last edited by stj; 06-20-2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

when encoder held down have 5v on the socket pins ok re install ic press encoder button backlight very quick flash then off.

Comment

could be cpu not running.
                                        does your meter have a frequency counter?

Comment

ita a maplin meter PG017 it does say hz lo/hi

Comment

Working...
                                          X