new OS on a Sonim XP5s phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new OS on a Sonim XP5s phone

To you programmers out there I want to know if it is possible to put a new OS on the Sonim XP5s phone? I only need this phone to make calls, receive calls, have a list of contacts and be able to call voice mail.
    I bought this phone new Sep.2021 as an unlock phone from a third-party seller. The phone worked fine until Jan 2022. I then had intermittent problems with the sound setting resetting itself. One of the settings, outdoor, would go to silent all by itself. When in silent mode it does not indicate a call has come in. I missed very important phone calls. All the other setting in sound would change. I called Sonim and they had me do a factory reset of the phone. However, the problem persists. They then had me fill out a bunch of questions in order to send the phone in. When they found out I bought the phone from a third-party seller they told they would not repair the phone nor honor their 3-year warranty. So, me being me I just canceled my phone service. I had bought this phone because it was rugged, and I have a cat. Now, this over $100 phone makes a good paper weight. Also, I emailed the company which is on ebay and they have never returned a message. I have also found out that if you are not a member on ebay there is no way to contact ebay or a vendor. My solution to that has been to stop buying anything from ebay.
    Last edited by keeney123; 05-13-2022, 07:23 PM.

Re: new OS on a Sonim XP5s phone

I personally do not buy phone or tablet on eBay except for maybe trying to repair one that I already have that is having issues that I might be able to fix for the reason that you mentioned in your post

Even if you had an account with eBay that would not do you any good because the most warranty you would get is 30 days maybe if it is clearly stated in the description of the item and you can convince eBay that the seller is not working with you that is the reason I do not buy phones and tablets on eBay

I work for a company that used this brand of phone and I was not very impressed with the quality of the product ( but what I did like about the phone is that it was water resistance that was a nice feature ) because it was maybe a year later they went to a iPhone instead

But that being said one option is to put in your phone model number and also put in the description not working on eBay and find least expensive phone and you might be lucky to fix it one note do not buy one that has a ENS number that has reported stolen or has been flagged non payment for service because you will not be able to have it activated ( now if you were replacing the lcd screen or something like this then this would not matter )

Here is an example of what you would be looking for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12385510738....c101113.m2108

I would highly recommend that if go this route make sure that you get ESN number from the seller and check your self to make sure that it has not been flagged ( there are websites where you can check it your self but go to more than one site to make sure that it has not been flagged )

I have personally done this myself and was able to fix one of the company phone that way because I broke something on the phone and did not want to buy a replacement phone

If you have the idea that you might be able to get a working phone this way I caution you of one thing READ the description very CAREFULLY of what the issues are wrong with the phone I have also gone down this route and I got lucky to get one that worked correctly but only chose a seller that has a rating of 95% or higher the better for best results

You also must have an account with eBay for this to be successful and you must have patience for this to work in your favor
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-14-2022, 06:27 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

This company is call tech4wireless. They sell both lock phones and unlock phone listed as new. I had no idea buying a new phone would not carry the warranty with it. Otherwise, I would not have bought it.
      I am learning that these companies' warranties are not worth 2 cents. I bought a shark vacuum cleaner from Walmart and when the dust collector latching mechanism failed, I called shark up. They would not repair the mechanism for free even though the vac was less they a 1year old. I then fixed it myself.
      My policy now is not to even consider the warranty of any device. If I buy an item, it will be the cheapest product I can find.
      When I get stung for a phone that I had to buy because my old phone became obsolete. I then just stop using the service. I can then play around with this phones OS because I have nothing left to lose.

Comment

None of the phones tech4wireless sell are new. They all have the same description , Open box "in new condition" coming with 30 days warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          None of the phones tech4wireless sell are new. They all have the same description , Open box "in new condition" coming with 30 days warranty.
          Perhaps, they do today but, when I bought it, it said new "not" new open box. It explained that tech4wireless covered it as a return for 30 days. The Sonim warranty should of pick it up after that.
          If you go on eBay right now you will find vendors selling the same phone as new. Not open box. That then makes me wonder if these vendors change their name when a problem arises so, they can continue to sell new. They then keep the old name and just list it as an open box. That way they can sell to people who are willing to gamble.

Here is the listing of the phone in the comfirmation email.

Sonim XP5s XP5800 - Black (AT&T) 4G Rugged Phone GSM Locked / Unlocked T-Mobile
          Do you see open box?

This is from the shipping email

Item # Description Qty
          SN-XP5800-ATT-UNLOCKED Sonim XP5s XP5800 - Black (AT&T) 4G Rugged Phone GSM Locked / Unlocked T-Mobile[GSM Unlocked] 1

Do you see anything that say open box?

Finally here is the delivered email.

his shipment included the following items:

Item # Description Qty
          SN-XP5800-ATT-UNLOCKED Sonim XP5s XP5800 - Black (AT&T) 4G Rugged Phone GSM Locked / Unlocked T-Mobile[GSM Unlocked] 1

Thank you for your business. If there’s anything we can do to improve your experience, please let us know!

Do you see any open box?

When I click the link, I have to order description eBay say it looked everywhere and was not found.
          Last edited by keeney123; 05-15-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Ebay saves the original listing so you can check. Evey single listing for their phones says the same, open box, 30 day warranty.

Comment

Ebay saves the original listing so you can check. Evey single listing for their phones says the same, open box, 30 day warranty.
              You are not correct I click on the link that say view order details from the email they sent me and eBay comes up with we looked everywhere and can not find it. I use to be able to call Ebay. I am not able to do that any more. I use to be able to email Ebay I can not do that anymore. I use to be able to contact the seller on Ebay. I can not do that anymore. Last time I purchase something from Ebay I was sent the wrong thing. There was no way for be to contact anyone from all the ways I have contact before. I no longer purchase anything from Ebay. I do not have an account on Ebay because my financial institution informed me about fraudulent activity on my account. They were able to tell me where the activity took place. It was the same area I had bought something. Ebay's policy now is if you don't have an account you can't contact anyone. At least that is what I have experienced.
              Here is a link for you that say new on Ebay I can show you 10 more like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18542158090...Condition=1000
              Last edited by keeney123; 05-15-2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, that is a listing for a new phone with a new phone price.
                Now search tech4wireless and their listings. every single one is Open Box with prices to suit.
                Ebay are contactable, they answer their phone surprisingly quickly but I see no reason why you would need to in this instance.

Comment

Yes, that is a listing for a new phone with a new phone price.
                  Now search tech4wireless and their listings. every single one is Open Box with prices to suit.
                  Ebay are contactable, they answer their phone surprisingly quickly but I see no reason why you would need to in this instance.
                  So do you want another one that is new with a lower price? You told me in the previous post that Ebay does not sell new. That all their sales are opened boxes. "Ebay saves the original listing so you can check. Evey single listing for their phones says the same, open box, 30 day warranty." You were wrong then and you are wrong now.
                  As I have said to you before when I bought this phone in Sept. of 2021 it was listed as new unopened box. Do you think I would pay over $100 for a phone that only had a 30 day warranty. Would I save all the email of confirmation, shipping and delivery if I was buy a open box phone?
                  Understand that I had been buy for Ebay for many years without joining their membership. I decided to join and then I had a problem with the my bank say there was fraudulent activity on my account. I then went back to not having a membership.
                  Do you have a membership account? Try canceling that membership. Then buy something on Ebay. Then tell me if you can contact them in the US.

You know what I think is that you sell on Ebay and you do not want them to have a negative rating.

And Folks all those Sonim phones sold on Ebay whether new, openbox, used and costing $400,$300,$200,$100,$50,$5 are from a third party and Sonim will not cover the 3-year warranty. All of them have 30 day warranty. You might as well buy it from the guy down the street that say it fell off the truck.
                  Last edited by keeney123; 05-16-2022, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Today a friend of mine knock on my door with a phone he bought for me. He paid over $200 for this phone online. It was listed as only an Android. Model only said Plus. The information that came with the phone did not explain how to put the sim chip in. Neither one of us could tell looking at the connectors which one to use or how to insert the sim chip. Looking online with Microsoft Edge, Google and Firefox one could not even find the phone or the manual for it. It was a really kind offer but, in the end, he is going to have to send it back. Unbelievable, that this country allows these phone manufacturing companies to sell such junk for such high prices to their citizens.

Comment

The only thing I have found that works so far is the adb command however the root command will not work. Still even if the supersu-pro.apk if installed on this phone through the adb commands from a Windows 10 computer the program will not work.

Comment

I buy and sell on ebay, I have done for many years.
                        Regardless of what you say the price you paid for the phone shows it wasn't new. Every other listing by the same vendor is Open Box.
                        The facts are very clear even if you don't want to admit them.

Comment

I buy and sell on ebay, I have done for many years.
                          Regardless of what you say the price you paid for the phone shows it wasn't new. Every other listing by the same vendor is Open Box.
                          The facts are very clear even if you don't want to admit them.
                          As I say you are wrong again. Here is a new unopened box for under $100
                          Understand, all the third-party sales will not have a warranty other that 30 days according to Sonim and it does not matter if you pays more money. How did I know you sold on Ebay. You are trying to defend a position that is not defensible. The old salesman addish if I argue long enough I will become right.
                          This thread is looking for programmers who will help me put a different OS on this phone. It is not about Ebay and their practices or whether what one says about Ebay is correct or not. I could care less about Ebay. I have better things to do. So, if you do not have any input on how to reprogram this phone please refrain from comments.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18388681151...temCondition=3
                          Last edited by keeney123; 05-20-2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I posted in this thread as a warning to others to check the listings in detail as it's easy to get mugged off and to point out why they weren't accepting warranty. Nothing to do with the seller.
                            The phrase is "I couldn't care less" not "I could care less".

Comment

I posted in this thread as a warning to others to check the listings in detail as it's easy to get mugged off and to point out why they weren't accepting warranty. Nothing to do with the seller.
                              This is the homework you should be doing. Here is one that is under $89 with contract and new Unopened box. You make all sort of claims and then you do not follow them up. Instead. you let other people prove you wrong. Once your claims are proven wrong you jump on other different claims. Like, read all the legal fine print You should go get a Law Degree so people will not screw you over a telephone sale. Being deceptive so people buy things that cost a good deal of money just to sell a phone tells me a lot about what Ebay will tolerate. I am sure that they will lose customers who find such deception leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth. That's one of the reasons I will never buy from them again. I am not reading all the features on this phone listed for Ebay "as I would if I was buying a phone." If you find some remote peace of information on this Ebay web site that you come up with that YOU say well, the person should have seen this. To me it is like a legal contract with endless escape clauses that no one reads except lawyers. I am just showing you that your statements are wrong. So, how long do you go and not take ownership of your previous statements and then pretend that they were all ok. Your thinking is a person who lives in a fantasy world just made for them with no wrong doings.
                              My phrase I could care less. Is what I mean. Think about it. The words "Could care less" I do not have to care less but, I could care less.
                              https://www.ebay.com/itm/18540701811...101224%26rk%3D
                              Last edited by keeney123; 05-20-2022, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Instead of a warning why not just say if you want to buy from Ebay Please cover your butt because they are out to screw you. I would advice them not to buy from them but, to buy from people who stand behind their product. If no one stands behind their product then buy the cheapest product on the marker if you really have to.
                                Here is a better ad for Ebay. Real simple Authorized Dealer of Sonim phone. All phone are new. covered by Sonim 3year warranty. Any other person selling Sonim new phones that are not authorized will not be covered. No other information needed.

Of course, Sonim most likely could wiggle out of the 3 year warranty somehow. I mean really, these phones are made in China for next to nothing. The operating System is a piece of manure so why would Sonim an American Company what to cover them.
                                Last edited by keeney123; 05-20-2022, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Now, that the Ebay thing is over. I liked to say that I was able to get the sonim xp5s phone into it's start up menu. Not really sure how I did this. I was pushing all sorts of buttons. One thing that I did do is to take out the sim chip and the SD card and disconnect it from the computer in order to get to this menu. Still when I selected adb and it ask to sideload a file is would not sideload the supersu.apk that I had on my computer. I guess the device remains locked. Next time when I get into this menu I will start to delete partitions.

Comment

To get into the recovery mode in the Sonim Xp5s one has to first power the phone off. Then hold down the down volume button while pressing the power button. The power button is the same as the phone off button. The screen will show the start. Use either volume button to get to the recovery. Recovery will appear at the top of the screen. Select recovery with the middle button between all the positioning arrows on the keyboard. This brings up the recovery screen with a ! mark that says no command. Now, hold down the power button while monetarily pressing the volume up button. This gets one into the recovery screen.
                                    My phone has a API 3. The At&t OS is an 8.1 Oreo firmware. Now, I am going to study the API mode and I am starting from here. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...api-level-mean
                                    Last edited by keeney123; 05-21-2022, 11:19 AM.

Comment

What I am finding is that and OEM phone that has developers' mode with bootloader OEM unlock option selected does not actual allow for the bootloader to be unlocked. Most likely one may need a code. The OEM says that they own the Operating system on the phone which includes the bootloader and all of the Apps. What if one wants to get rid of all their software including the bootloader and put on their own bootloader and OS and Apps. I think there is a legal issue here. If you own the phone and they own they own the software, then you should be able to get rid on the OS, bootloader and Apps to put your own system on.

Comment

I was able to get into the remote shell of the adb platform. I found out that even when one does adb devices and the device show up that does not let one go into the shell. I had to first restart the USB mode on the adb platform tools and then I was able to get into the shell of the phone through the USB cable. It did not help because even though I can see /system/bin/sh I could not list any of the system directories.

Comment

Working...
                                        X