This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Agilent U1253B OLED display failed

are you sure the original had more pixels?
    a lot of oleds and lcd's have more screen ram than pixels so you can do offscreen writes to create smooth scolling.

Comment

the original SSD1303 had 132x64 pixels. The new SSD1309 etc. OLEDs are 128x64 pixels, that's why there is a 4 row column shift if things aren't done properly and wander from the end of the right side of the screen to the beginning of the left side. Plus it also gives a mirror image, but that can be flipped around.
      Some don't care, but that column problem would drive me nuts just looking at it.

Comment

A quick update: I did get the display from a U1273A today. It does work on the U1253B, BUT: it doesn’t fit right (display is to the left and the mounting holes are different). More to come later…

Comment

Here are a few pics. Look at the display being offset due to the connector location on the back.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fast forward a few months: The display I've ordered from that EBay seller worked fine as kind on my meter, but I couldn't mount it correctly. After a bit of chatting back and forth, I decided to send the seller my original display so he could "redesign" his old board.
            So he DID! I've got the new display! Thanks bra! You've made my day! Haven't had time yet to install it, but hopefully soon. Here are some pics of the new display and board.
            Attached Files

Comment

I caught a lucky break today and got home early and had to try that new display out. I've got this display drop in replacement from "atomicfrenzy" on EBay for the Agilent U1253A and the early model U1253B. So remember to verify the old display that it has the same old style SSD1303 display. Atomicfrenzy's replacement is perfect and fits correctly. No clearance issues or anything like that. The artifact issue due to the old 132x64 to the new 128x64 is not existent and properly dealt with on this fully assembled version. I had chosen a white display not the yellow.
              Be careful what you order. Atomicfrenzy also has a kit, which does not address the column shift issue and is cheaper. You may contact the seller and I am sure he will get you the right display.
              He will put a new listing up for this drop in display later on today. Thanks again buddy for making this happen!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by CapLeaker; 05-14-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

i still want to see OLED's sold in green and orange like old crt's

Comment

That's great, using an MCU as a protocol translator to keep new displays compatible and stick it to Keysight. He totally redesigned the power section.
                  I think the first board fits U1273A. OLED TV's are still out there, so there is hope for the lifetime issue.
                  I wonder what to price something like this at. I have to finish the 34401a board I started before my old one totally gives up the PMOS lol.

The new green OLED is a bit gnarly, I think it's the brightest but a bit icky.
                  As far as CRT green and amber screens, I was looking for the phosphor colours because I use them on terminal programs, like Teraterm lol.

Comment

Cording to atomicfrenzy his drop in replacement display consume less power than the Chinese replacements. I didn’t have enough time yet to verify this.

Orange display… would fit perfect on this meter.

Comment

Trying to give an update on the display:
                      So far so good with the drop in replacement OLED on my U1253B. Not sure why, but I like the white display better than the original yellow one. Everything is functional as it was before. No glitches or anything. I tried it with rechargeable NIMH true 9V (9.6V) batteries, with regular 8.4V NIMH and a 7.2V LI-ION. Works fine as kind!

Comment

with a white oled, if the CRI is reasonable then you could probably put coloured gel filters infront of it

Comment

I suppose…. It hadn’t crossed my mind yet to look for a filter. I may do that at some point to see what happens.

Comment

The Signal Path fixed his U1253B using the same module. Congrats!
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwGgG_TMMk

Comment

Nice!
                              My OCD caught that the SMD capacitor C10 in his meter is bulging though.
                              See screenshots from the video:

I have the same with C19 in my Agilent U1733C does anyone know if it is normal or not?
                              Based on the markings it seems to be the same cap model, not sure who makes it?

Attached Files
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Per’s hawkish eye brings out his OCD full tilt on bulging caps!
                                Those caps look a little pregnant. In order to calm you a little down I’ve opened my Agilent U1733C and snapped a few pictures. There is already one board picture of my U1253B here on this thread, so I am not going to bother reposting that.
                                Here is my take on this cap issue:
                                To me those caps / brand in question do have a very slight bulge to it. To me these aren’t completely flat. Even mine are not on the U1253B nor on the U1733C. It seems that those caps you pointed out are having a worse bulge than mine… what’s your take?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I guess it could be normal.
                                  I did measure the ESR in circuit on my U1733C:
                                  I don't remember the exact values but C19 , C83 & C44 measured normal in my eyes.
                                  But C4 seen on my picture here above that has a flat top measured a bit high!
                                  I still think it is strange that some have flat tops and others not.
                                  Still no idea who the manufacturer of the caps are, but seems like Agilent / Keysight likes them as they are used in multiple meters from them!
                                  I did post some high resulution pics of my U1733C on eevblog here:
                                  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...adings-normal/
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

My U1253B failed after about 4 years with virtually no display left at all. So went online & bought what I was told was a replacement, however
                                    it didn't work properly and some of the digits were off the side of the screen 🤬

Anyway after that I just boxed the thing up ready to sell as parts. Luckily I forgot about the meter only noticing it again in a drawer about 8 months later. So before posting it for sale on eBay I had a
                                    look around for any new options, and to my surprise there were replacements showing up in the search 😀 I semi-reluctantly bought one.. And it works like a charm.

If anyone's interested.. Here's the link to the one I chose..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314802774...r=613317945839

Attached Files
                                    Last edited by orbiter; 12-09-2023, 04:32 AM.
                                    Don't Bin It - Repair It.

Comment

turn the brightness down!!!
                                      thats why you only got 4 years on the old one!

Comment

Hi all, after a lot of work, U1253A/B & U1273A(X) firmwares were reverse-engineered and modified to work with the $10 oleds from aliexpress.
                                        More here:
                                        https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microc...-modification/

Comment

good - forward it to HP just to give them the middle finger!

Comment

Working...
                                          X