Preventing Windows 10 from installing stuff without my permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing Windows 10 from installing stuff without my permission

I just mentioned that my laptop keeps reinstalling Dolby Access at random. The Internet seems convinced that this program does nothing, but there is an audio control panel inside it with some "enhancements" (as I mentioned here) and the latest version of the software doesn't seem to let you completely disable the bullshit like the old version could. Does anyone here know how to prevent Windows 10 from reinstalling the built-in "apps" after I uninstall them?

Before some troll tells me to switch to Linux, the audio under Linux on this laptop is actually worse (at least under Pop OS). The headphone volume slowly decreases while a song is playing, so I keep having to turn the volume up as I'm listening. It also sounds like there's some kind of AGC or "loudness equalization" effect, but my hearing loss makes it difficult to hear any kind of dynamic range problem.

Re: Preventing Windows 10 from installing stuff without my permission

Try using the Show Hide update tool KB3073930, You may need to get it from majorgeeks

Comment

It looks like right-clicking on the volume control tray icon and turning off spatial sound actually turned off the Dolby Access "enhancements." That didn't happen when I made that other post last year.

Never mind, then.

Comment

try running malwarebytes

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
          Try using the Show Hide update tool KB3073930, You may need to get it from majorgeeks
          I forgot to say that I looked at that tool, and it only shows Windows updates. It doesn't show the "apps" that aren't included with Windows, but are automatically downloaded and installed when Windows detects an Internet connection. Turning off "Show suggested apps occasionally in Start" in the start menu settings prevents Windows from downloading most of them (as long as you do it before connecting a fresh Windows installation to the Internet for the first time), but a few still slip through.

Comment

I never have that problem, What "apps" are you talking about? Sounds like you have purchased one of the pc's that have many sample apps pre loaded
            The only updates that download and install automatically are updates to the os it self

Comment

It's the stuff like Candy Crush that appears in a standard Windows installation.

Dolby Access is also "included" with Windows 10 (although it's one of the programs that gets downloaded instead of being included with the Windows installer), but I guess it's considered part of the audio driver on this laptop (and part of the graphics driver since this thing has a low-grade HDR display).

Comment

Try removing the "App Updater" app Also see this information, it might help https://www.minitool.com/news/window...sh-remove.html

My 10 install was an older version, I see the newer versions install that stuff like:
                Candy Crush Soda Saga, Bubble Witch 3 Saga, and March of Empires.Candy Crush Soda Saga, Bubble Witch 3 Saga, and March of Empires.
                As well as Disney's Magic Kingdoms, Autodesk SketchBook, Dolby Access (offering a free trial of the Atmos surround-sound technology, with the option to pay $15 after the trial period ends), and Spotify Music.

I would find them all and un-install them if they are there
                Last edited by R_J; 07-03-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I right click on the extra icons in the start menu, right click and go to "uninstall" if it's there. Some you just have to hide

Once they're all gone, I can resize the menu to old windows size
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                    It's the stuff like Candy Crush that appears in a standard Windows installation.
                    WTF...what version of 10 did M$ start this? I don't ever remember seeing this.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by topcat View Post
                      wtf...what version of 10 did m$ start this? I don't ever remember seeing this.

Comment

Do a format c. Then put Linux on it problem solved!

Comment

Linux will do the formatting for you - it's not dos

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                            WTF...what version of 10 did M$ start this? I don't ever remember seeing this.
                            I had it happen in 1709 and 1803. I thought it always happened.

Comment

I just checked one of my pc's with windows 10 and the games were there , but a simple right click and uninstall and they are gone.

Comment

They don't stay gone. If you still have the "show suggestions occasionally in Start" setting turned on, they reinstall immediately (as quickly as your Internet connection allows them to be downloaded). The games don't reinstall if that setting is turned off, but other stuff does (and nothing reinstalls immediately anymore - there is now a random time delay from one hour to two months). I was trying to help my parents with something earlier today, and Spotify suddenly installed without anyone's permission, even with that setting turned off.

Comment

it's obviously malware - windows i mean!

Comment

I guess I just never paid any attention....
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                    Team : 49813
                                    Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                    X