Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap d3076-s1 motherboard- appropriate caps

Hello guys,
    I have Fujitsu motherboard that starts, fans are spinning but no display. It has integrated graphics, but i also tried with another graphics card and the behavior is the same.
    I had almost identical issue with one older motherboard D2156 -S21 and I solved it by replacing caps near CPU.
    On this board caps are solid, and I have standard electrolytic caps.
    I wonder if I can use 1000 uF 6.3V instead of these 820 uF 2.5V caps?

Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Recap motherboard- appropriate caps

You can buy the proper replacements cheap enough (aliexpress and elsewhere) but in my experience this type of capacitors dont' tend to fail. did yo remove them and check them (capacitance and ESR)?
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Hello dickey,

The board is fujitsu d3076-s1. I also know these caps very seldom fail. But there are no any other types on the board. I didn't remove them so far. My experience with these types of problems tells me that recap is solution. Fans running and no post no display usually means one or more caps failed. I have already checked RAM.
      I already have 1000 uF in my stock so I wouldn't wait for long.

Comment

there are many threads on here like yours with the symptoms of motherboard starts and fans spin but no display. and in some of these threads, recapping didnt fix the problem and the issue and symptoms remain unchanged.

in these sort of situations, im hesitant to say a recap will fix the problem. u have to see why the motherboard wont start the post process and why is it halting? if u have a post card, i'd like to see which post code it stops at and if u have a multimeter, i'd probe the inductor legs at the cpu vrm to see what voltage is going to the cpu to see why the board and/or cpu wont start.

that would be a good start on things to make an informed check to see what is going wrong and why the board wont start rather than gamble on a blind recap which wont necesarily fix the problem but waste your time instead if it doesnt work...

Comment

Hello Chaos,

you're probably right, the motherboard is about 8 years old and it s unlikely that solid polymer alu caps failed. I don't have post card and not really sure what it is.
          During normally scheduled restart computer didn't start but had TEMP LED red flashing. After removing dust with compressed air and starting again, I only have green LED and I can hear that HDD is vibrating. Case and CPU fan are working but there is no post or beep. After cca 1 min, fans accelerated to full speed and become noisy. I have replaced RAM but that didn't help. I also replace thermal paste, but nothing changed. I'll try to measure voltages on coils on the motherboard.

Comment

a POST analyzer card is something like this (depending on the slot type on your motherboard) They are inexpensive and an essential test device

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...post+test+card
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Comment

Hello,

I have checked all voltages around CPU ad I have 1.1V on all four of the coils. I have also checked on different areas of the motherboard and I have 12V, 5V and 3.3V.

Perhaps, the CPU is dead because it doesn't getting warm when computer is started.
              Attached Files

Comment

dead bios?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  dead bios?
                  That is also probability, but I'm not sure how to know for sure or to rule out this.
                  On the fujitsu support web page I can dowbload flash BIOS update program that can work either from Windows, or from USB bootable drive in form of so called Admin Pack.There is a file called DosFlash.bat. That doesn't help at all, since the commputer doesn't POST at all, so update is not possible,

So it seems that the only option is to find identical board, remove BIOS chip, uplod its content and download to the chip of the faulty board.
                  On the Fujitsu web page there is a .rom file, but is it possible to use this file with the programmer?

Is there any other way I can confirm the problem is actually BIOS?
                  I have removed CMOS battery and short circuited + and - on the batterz placeholder on the board, but that didn't change anything.
                  Last edited by Adenitz; 06-21-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

you can read the bios and pass the file into something like MEcleaner or MEanalyser
                    https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/...cleaner-status
                    https://github.com/platomav/MEAnalyzer

Comment

Hello guys, here is the update.
                      It took me a while to find the same board (D3076-S11) and to read BIOS from it. I wrote that BIOS to the faulty board and it came alive. So it was a corrupted BIOS after all like @stj suggested.

However there‘s more to it. The original configuration had external GPU card (the board has integrated graphics as well).
                      So, I went to BIOS and there was the following option chosen PEG/IGX as priority graphics boot. I have chosen IGX only, and after reboot the same situation, no picture, but all fans spinning on the board. I removed external graphics card, but that didn‘t help. So I had to reflash BIOS again to make it work.
                      I have played a little bit but it was not possible to start the PC correctly with only integrated graphics.

There is also one more thing. Original problem happened when I restarted the computer and pressing F2 in order to enter BIOS and to change boot order (didn‘t start from bootable CD, so I suspect CD is lower on the boot list). I didn‘t wait to see the message „Press F2 to enter Setup“, but was pressing the F2 key during process of rebooting the machine.

So I decided to make the same test and the result was the same. I chose restart from Windows menu and during the shut down process I was pressing F2, and when the computer restarted (black screen), it stayed in that state.

So, I had to rewrite BIOS again, but this time I downloaded the latest BIOS version for this board from Fujitsu support web page and performed BIOS flash from windows. That went well, but I don‘t have time and courage to try F2 during restart any more, so I don‘t know if I solved that problem.

Anyway the computer is working, but still remains two things unexplained:
                      - cannot boot when only internal graphics is present. If changed in BIOS to IGX a new BIOS write is required
                      - it was possible to knocked out BIOS by pressing F2 during restart of the machine.

Is it possible that actually there is a HW problem with integrated graphics on this board?

Thank you.

Comment

When booting with discrete graphic card you can see both integrated & dedicated graphics cards in Windows Device Manager?.

Output video on your mainboard are DVI & Displayport?
                        Try another cable & output connector.

Comment

Originally posted by pelolu View Post
                          When booting with discrete graphic card you can see both integrated & dedicated graphics cards in Windows Device Manager?.

Output video on your mainboard are DVI & Displayport?
                          Try another cable & output connector.
                          No, it is like internal gpu does not exist. There is option in the BIOS and there is a DVI port on the motherboard, but other than that, nothing.

Comment

Re: Recap d3076-s1 motherboard- appropriate caps

What cpu do you have?, there are Sandy Bridge Xeons without integrated graphics.

Comment

The Device Manager says it is Intel Pentium Dual Core G850.

I have found this info on the Internet:
                              Intel Pentium G620, G840 and G850 are all 32nm dual-core processors
                              rated at 65W TDP with 3MB of level 3 cache,
                              an integrated DDR3 memory controller, PCI Express 2.0 interface,
                              Direct Media Interface 2.0, and Intel HD Graphics 2000. The Intel HD
                              Graphics 2000 GPU has a base clock speed of 850MHz
                              Last edited by Adenitz; 07-25-2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The most important thing is that computer boots and works without problems now. It already has external graphics card, so I don't know if it ever worked on integrated graphics before.
                                Lucky, I didn't start to blindly recap the board. It was BIOS problem.
                                Can you please tell me if USB tester like this would be helpful to diagnose if the computer post or not (in these cases where there's nothing on the screen)?

This is supposed to be used on Mac computer, but I wonder if it can be helpful on regular desktop PCs.
                                Last edited by Adenitz; 07-25-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

No that is useless, you need a post card that dicky96 linked above for example.
                                  However not all mainboards support them so it is best to try first on a working board...
                                  That said your BIOS does support a recovery method, see attached PDF page 55 (page before the last page of the manual).
                                  Attached Files
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I know that the motherboard support BIOS recovery with USB stick. I tried this but didn't have any luck. I didn't see anything on the screen and didn't know if it started, or wait for some user input etc.
                                    The only way I could restore life in the motherboard was to use Flash programmer and BIOS .bin file that is read from another board.

Comment

Originally posted by Adenitz View Post
                                      Can you please tell me if USB tester like this would be helpful to diagnose if the computer post or not (in these cases where there's nothing on the screen)?
                                      Just press caps lock key and see if caps lock LED turns on/off. And plug a USB drive with an activity LED on it and see if it blinks.
                                      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                                      X