Overclockable Dell computers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overclockable Dell computers.

although the e6500k still uses the core architecture but it is marketed as a pentium dual core. it uses crippled or faulty wolfdale-3m dies with 1mb of the 3mb L2 cache disabled so 2mb L2 cache total. so its not really a contest with the x6800 which uses a full conroe die with 4mb L2 cache.

Comment

But the X6800 was the very early B2 stepping of the 65nm process with very low thermal limits.
      https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_...557X6800).html

The small cache might actually allow the E6500K to OC better. It shares the R0 stepping with the Q9550S 65W Quad.
      https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Penti...71E6500K).html
      I stuck one the wrong way in my X5470 Xeon modded Optiplex 380 and needed a new MB. (notch the Xeon CPU, don't remove the socket pins!)
      I never did get one to boot yet. But the 120W confirmed BTX MB looks like a good candidate for an E6500K TS overclock. I have a G41 ATX to play around with to see what's what.
      I also want to try a tapemodded E7600 which will give good performance point to see how it does.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-16-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Here is a solid X6800 OC at Geekbench4 4.4Ghz 2966pts.
        https://hwbot.org/submission/4503406...eme_x6800_2966 points
        Here is an E6500K @ 5GHz 3398 pts.
        https://hwbot.org/submission/4641183...0k_3398_points

Comment

another weekend and yet another round of playtime with throttlestop on my dell latitude e6500 c2d p9700. this time, im testing out dual ida mode on my cpu.

to pull it off, i had to disable eist in my laptop's bios setup so that eist mode is not locked on, then throttlestop would be free to enable and disable eist mode at will. the laptop has to be left idle with no cpu intensive programs running, then i turn on eist, set the voltage to 1.075v first then the multiplier up to 11x and then turn off eist. the multiplier then got forced stuck on at 11x even when running a stress testing program fully stressing both cores. thats truly a wonderful loophole those guys at the notebook review forums found with intel's implementation of ida and eist which allows forcing the multiplier to be stuck on a certain value! hehehehe! thumbs up!

since i already know 1.0625v causes insta reboot of the laptop in idle when it engages ida mode earlier so i tried two steps higher at 1.0875v but that still caused insta reboots after several minutes of running a single threaded video game, so i tried 1.1v. this time its stable no matter what i threw at it: stress testing plus web surfing, stress testing plus video watching on media player classic home cinema, stress testing plus single threaded video gaming. it ran fine for hours overnight so that concludes the dual ida mode stress testing for the weekend. it ran 4°C hotter on average in dual ida mode tho compared to 2.8 ghz, 10.5x @ 1.0625v. the temps touched and exceeded 60°C so i wont be using this mode too often since i want this laptop to last and unless i really need that extra 125 mhz of a speed boost which isnt really much anyway...

i also did some testing last week to see what was the highest multiplier i could set it at the minimum vid of 1v and it was able to do 9.5x or 2.53 ghz at core vid of 1v. using 10x @ 1v causes an insta reboot. i also tested to see what voltage the cpu needs to be stable at 10x multiplier and it needed 1.025v.

so 9.5x @ 1v seems to be a good maximum performance at minimal voltage preset for this cpu in case i need a performance boost on battery without raising the voltage and consuming the battery much faster.

so i guess this is the performance table or chart of this c2d p9700 2.8 ghz (stock vid 1.1625v) penryn cpu:

2.53 ghz => 9.5x @ 1v
          2.66 ghz => 10x @ 1.025v
          2.8 ghz => 10.5x @ 1.0625v
          2.93 ghz => 11x @ 1.1v

wow! thats a really nice matching number there... 11x @ 1.1v lol! haha! well... thanks for reading my post!
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X