Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips TV 42PFL3606H/58 (Thriller) (TPM6.1E) PSU problem (wrong Vdd-S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips TV 42PFL3606H/58 (Thriller) (TPM6.1E) PSU problem (wrong Vdd-S)

Hi!

I have a problem with a faulty PSU in the TV set (as in title) and honestly I'm stuck on it and could use a bit of advice if you don't mind…

The PSU's schematics is attached (psu1.png, psu2.png):

It produces +5VSB (standby), but doesn't produce any other voltage (12V, 24V, backlight). To test it, I connected +5VSB to S/B input (and to ENA input to disable the backlight).

After a bit of measuring I came to these conclusions:

1. +5VSB is produced and stabilized correctly (4.68V with S/B unconnected, 5.19V with S/B connected to +5VSB, is stable under load)

2. T904 (flyback transformer which produces +5VSB) has an additional winding to power the PFC, 12+24V converter and CCFL inverter (Vdd-S)

3. Vdd-S is only 4.78V, which is way too low (should be around 14-15V)

4. Disconnecting it (at Q907's emitter) and providing 14V externally causes the PSU to start and work properly

During my testing, I disconnected everything (except from C946) from D916's cathode, leaving only T904, R959, D916 and C946 in this fragment, and caught some oscillograms:

Cathode of D916 (voltage on C946):

- the voltage correctly goes up to around 15V

Anode of D916 (input of D916):

- we can see 15V pulses (OK)

Pin 4 of T904 (output of the transformer):

- we can see 15V pulses and it doesn't differ from the anode of D916 (OK)

…but it got more interesting when I loaded C946 with a 1kΩ resistor (which should draw around 15mA):

Cathode of D916:

- we can see that the voltage goes up (I think it's due to the less cycles being skipped by TNY277 because of empty C950 – if I understand the mechanism of regulation in TNY277 correctly), but quickly falls down to 2.5V

Anode of D916:

- positive pulses are strongly clamped

Pin 4 of T904:

- we can see proper positive pulses around 15V

R959 seems to be dropping the voltage because the duty cycle of these positive pulses is too low (too many cycles are skipped by TNY277, so positive pulses occur too rarely), but how can it be too low if +5VSB is regulated properly?

After loading the +5VSB output to skip less pulses, the voltage on C946 went up – loading +5VSB with 1A makes it go up to around 10V, which is still too low and I doubt this PSU needs over 1A to be drawn from +5VSB to work…

And now I'm stuck. I checked (and even blindly replaced) D916, R959, C946, but they seem fine. The duty cycle cannot be higher, because then +5VSB wouldn't be regulated.

What am I missing here? What's the trick?
    Attached Files

Re: Philips TV 42PFL3606H/58 (Thriller) (TPM6.1E) PSU problem (wrong Vdd-S)

Check that ic907 optocoupler is working and that it enables ic905, It could be that the ic is staying in standby (burst mode)
    Last edited by R_J; 06-11-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Check that ic907 optocoupler is working and that it enables ic905, It could be that the ic is staying in standby (burst mode)
      But load regulation of +5VSB works (it maintains the voltage when I draw current from it), and +5VSB raises from 4.68V to 5.19V when I set S/B high (as expected from the circuit built around IC908). Could it work this way if IC907 was faulty?

Comment

It may be worth also checking the zener diodes in that area have not gone short circuit or low resistance.
        Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

What is the voltage on IC905 pin 1 in standby and when S/B pin is turned on? Post pin2's voltage as well, this should determine the state of the ic.
          Check that ZD907 is not bad
          Last edited by R_J; 06-12-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            What is the voltage on IC905 pin 1 in standby and when S/B pin is turned on? Post pin2's voltage as well, this should determine the state of the ic.
            Check that ZD907 is not bad
            Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, but life got in the way and I had to suspend it for a while…

Voltage on IC905 pin 1 varies:

1. In standby (and Vdd-S not loaded) it's around 0.6V with ripples around 1.25V (every 5ms or so):

Pin 2 is 5.80V then.

2. When running, but with Vdd-S not loaded, it's about the same, buth ripples are more frequent (every 1ms or so):

Pin 2 is 6.28V then.

3. When running, but with Vdd-S loaded (with a 1kΩ resistor), the ripples are gone. Pin 1 has a stable voltage of 1.26V and pin 2 is at 4.05V (starts at 4.17V and slowly goes down).

ZD907 seems fine.

One interesting thing is that I connected the PSU to the TV with additional supply to give proper Vdd-S (it took me some time as the TV isn't in my home, I only have the PSU unit with me) and it produced 12V and 24V, but the backlight didn't work (I don't know yet if it's due to PSU not generating backlight voltage, or if the backlight itself is faulty). I'll have to investigate it closer (it seems like a separate issue, but maybe it's somehow related?).
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X