A2159 Macbook Pro 820-01598 stuck on 5V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A2159 Macbook Pro 820-01598 stuck on 5V

This is a mid 2019 Macbook Pro touchbar model. Motherboard is 820-01598. Technical information is going to be attached below including power sequencing graph.

I am having the issue of no 20V on the USB C port. USB-C Stays at 5V permanently. Current draw is 130mA. If I connect and disconnect in a certain way I can sometimes obtain a 300mA draw.

This laptop came in for water damage and although there was some corrosion it was not very bad. The board was ultrasonic cleaned but is not powering on. Laptop was having 20V prior to cleaning but there was no signs of charge or power with 0 or near 0A draw. Now there is only 5V 130mA draw.

Most of the corrosion found was around U8510 where it was cleaned and nothing too detrimental was found. This IC seems in charge of turning on the display panel and should not have much to do with our USB C issue. The worst of the corrosion was here and the biggest victim was a large capacitor where one end was completely eaten away. All traces and BGA balls look fine after cleaning and component replacements. This circuit is found next to LCD display connector though this connector itself does not show corrosion.

Some corrosion was found around one CD3127 chip but was fairly light and was easily cleaned. Chip was re-flowed with no luck.

A bit more corrosion was found on the bottom side of the board where U7800 is located. This corrosion was also light and the capacitors affected were only lightly corroded and could be re-tinned. No shorts found among these capacitors.

There was a bit more corrosion around U6903 which seems in charge of producing PP3V3_G3H RTC which was cleaned up and is working fine. Corrosion here was also fairly light.

Among the anomalies found are:

A bit of heat coming from the T2 chip while the USB C charger is plugged in and drawing 130mA. Same goes for when I can get the machine to draw 300 by quickly disconnecting and re-connecting the USB C ports. Behavior is the same on both ports. Heat on T2 is fairly light, warm at best.

The 5V LDO on U7650 was not functioning and was at complete zero though no short was detected. This chip produces PP5V_G3S and PP3V3_G3H. Out of the two PP5V_G3S is missing. PP3V3_G3H is present. Upon replacement of this chip 5V LDO partially returned at 2.75V. A second chip was installed and LDO still stays at 2.75V. No obvious short can be found on line. The filter capacitor immediately at the output of this LDO line was replaced with no luck. This does not seem to be connected to anything.

Enable signal for PP5V_G3S is missing.

LDO voltages at CD3217 chips are present and there are no obvious shorts around these two chips.

Using the power sequencing graph attached below the following voltage measurements were observed. Measurement list is up until the segment where I found issues.

VALID EXTERNAL POWER SOURCE, BATTERY OR CHARGER >4.0V

PPBUS: 12.4V
    PP3V3_G3H_RTC: 3.29V
    PP3V3_G3H: 3.21

VIN_RTC>VIN_RTC_UPPER_TRESHOLD

PP1V8_SLP_S2R: 1.77V
    PMU_CLK32K_SOCK: Unknown
    PP1V8_AWAKE: 1.77V
    PP1V8_SLPS2R_PMUGPIO: 1.77V
    PP1V1_SLPS2R: 1.1V
    PP0V8_SLPS2R: 0.79V
    PP0V82_SLPDDR: 0.79V
    PP3V3_AWAKE: 3.24V
    PPVDDCPUSRAM_AWAKE: 3.16
    PP0V9_SLPDDR: 0.88V
    P1V1_SLPDDR_SOCFET_EN 1.78 (A BIT HIGH)
    PP1V1_SLPDDR: 1.08V
    H9M_24MHZ_CLK: UNKNOWN
    PP1V2_AWAKE: 1.19V
    PPVDDCPU_AWAKE: 0.75V
    PMU_SYS_ALIVE: 1.75V
    PMU_ACTIVE_READY: 1.77v
    PMU_COLD_RESET_L: 1.76V

H9M LOAD SECURE ROM, SMC BATTERY TRAP

PMU_PVDDMAIN_EN 0V
    P3V3MAIN_PGOOD 0V
    PP3V3_G3H_RTC: 2.97V
    PMU_CLK32K_PCH: UNKNOWN
    PCH_RTC_RESET_L: 2.97V
    P5VG3S_EN: 0V
    PP5V_G3S: 0v
    P3V3G3S_EN: 0V
    PP3V3_G3S: 0V
    PP1V8_G3S: 0.31V
    P5VG3S_PGOOD: 0V
    PMU_CLK32K_WLANBT: UNKNOWN

I am unsure of the cause of the missing voltages after the final segment. What lines can I check to see if there are missing requirements for the U7800 to spit out some of the missing enable signals and voltages? Any tips would be appreciated. Even though I found no corrosion where the U7800 chip is I still tried reflowing it with no luck.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Comp_Pro; 03-02-2021, 03:04 PM.

Re: A2159 Macbook Pro 820-01598 stuck on 5V

Originally posted by Comp_Pro View Post
    PP3V3_G3H_RTC: 3.29V
    PP3V3_G3H_RTC: 2.97V
    Please clarify.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Sorry I made a typo in the last block of measurements. The second measurement you quoted should be PP3V_G3H_RTC. I had to put this board away for a little while to make time for other stuff, so apologies for the delay as well.

Here is the measurement block re-written.

H9M LOAD SECURE ROM, SMC BATTERY TRAP

PMU_PVDDMAIN_EN 0V
      P3V3MAIN_PGOOD 0V
      PP3V_G3H_RTC: 2.97V
      PMU_CLK32K_PCH: UNKNOWN
      PCH_RTC_RESET_L: 2.97V
      P5VG3S_EN: 0V
      PP5V_G3S: 0v
      P3V3G3S_EN: 0V
      PP3V3_G3S: 0V
      PP1V8_G3S: 0.31V
      P5VG3S_PGOOD: 0V
      PMU_CLK32K_WLANBT: UNKNOWN

Comment

Ok, makes more sense. PP3V3_G3H_RTC at 3.3V and PP3V_G3H_RTC at 3.0V is normal.

At this point it looks like typical T2 not booting, so perform T2 DFU recovery. (try revive first if data is important)

Not sure why the 5V LDO output would be low or if it even matters.

Comment

Thank you very much sir! Is there a good tutorial you could recommend for this process you are talking about? I've seen it talked about but have not performed it myself yet.

Comment

https://logi.wiki/index.php/DFU_Mode_Restore_(Macs)
            https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-resto...into-dfu-mode/

Comment

Originally posted by Comp_Pro View Post
              Thank you very much sir! Is there a good tutorial you could recommend for this process you are talking about? I've seen it talked about but have not performed it myself yet.
              Did you solve this issues ??
              I have exactly same issues like yours.

Comment

Unfortunately a DFU restore attempt did not work. Tried various times using apple configurator 2 on another USB-C mac and I never got anything to appear. Not sure if I'm not doing the key combo correctly but I tried doing it lots of different ways.

If anyone has any more ideas let me know.

Comment

I have the same issue, DFU revive not help :/

Comment

After my last message and many attempts i have managed to restore firmware and recovered the PMU_PVDDMAIN_EN line.

I have tried with a USB-A/USB-C cable and it has not worked, as last I do several tests on a MacBook with USB-C and a USB-C/USB-C cable, after each error turn off and re-enter DFU again, on one of those occasions the message "Installing system" appears for a long time, so much so that it seems like a bug, then it ends without errors and I have fan spin

It has never worked for me with a USB-A/USB-C cable, I recommend a lot of patience, try different cables, different ports, re-enter DFU or try to restore many times despite the errors.

Comment

Originally posted by iywdde View Post
                      After my last message and many attempts i have managed to restore firmware and recovered the PMU_PVDDMAIN_EN line.

I
                      @iywdde thanks for posting back about your success and congrats on the win. I am struggling with similar issues on an 820-01987 board and the info in this thread may help me somewhat. Stay safe everyone
                      My YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiD...5d6OgizDqoi_SA

Comment

820-01987 board in a similar situation. Problems around U7650 the enable signal is not there. All data points leads to T2 as the issue from the posts here. However; for the life of me I cannot get this board to come into DFU mode.

Does anyone know what signals must be there to enter the DFU mode?

20v both USB ports with 0A being drawn - cannot enter DFU.

Comment

PPBUS is 12.3v so no peripherals are working (no keyboard or trackpad) - so cannot use the keyboard combination to get to DFU mode.

Also the board switch to force DFU is not working either (SE032 switch: SOC_FORCE_DFU tying to PP1v8_SLPS2R).

Comment

Originally posted by aztech_1 View Post
                            PPBUS is 12.3v so no peripherals are working (no keyboard or trackpad) - so cannot use the keyboard combination to get to DFU mode.

Also the board switch to force DFU is not working either (SE032 switch: SOC_FORCE_DFU tying to PP1v8_SLPS2R).
                            Hi

I have the same Problem. Have you already found a solution?

Comment

similar case was resolved in this video : MacBook Pro 13'' (2018) Won't Turn On Repair - T2 Chip Data Restoring on youtube

Comment

on HP this problem says u must replace BOTH usb-c controllers. if no 20V, charger did not negotiate with controller

Comment

Anyone made any progress? I seem to have the same problem.
                                  A2159 with small traces of water inside. Would not go to 20V, ultrasonic cleaning lead to the 20V working again, both TB ports are okay.

When on charger, 5V lines are power cycling.

Input showing 20V, current cycling from about 350mA to 800mA.

PPBUS_G3H 12.36V (slight dip to 12.26V every 3s)
                                  PPDCIN_G3H 20.30V
                                  PP20V_USBC_XA_VBUS 20.30V (depending on which is connected)
                                  PP20V_USBC_XB_VBUS 20.30V ^
                                  PP3V3_G3H_RTC 3.3V
                                  PP3V3_G3H 3.3V (slight dip to 2.26V every 3s)
                                  PP5V_G3S 0.02V jumps to 5V every 3 seconds or so, 21kOhm to gnd
                                  Confirmed with scope it is exactly 3.5s, attempt to power PP5V_G3S on.

PP1V2_S3, PP1V8_S3 nothing
                                  PP1V_S0SW nothing
                                  PP3V3_TBT_X_S0, PP3V3_S0SW_LCD nothing
                                  PP5V_S0_BKLT_A, PP5V_S0_BKLT_D pulsing
                                  3V3_G3S, 1V8_G3S both power cycling (can barely see blip with multimeter, would have to test with scope), both kOhms to gnd.
                                  PP3V3_AWAKE 3.25V shows for about 1s, then 0 for 2s. PP1V8_AWAKE, PP1V8_SLPS2R same, 1.8V for 1s. All mOhm to gnd.

When on USB power (USB-A to USB-C) I get the following:

Input showing 4.91V, 0.3955A stable. =2W seem to be going to T2 mostly, nothing else getting warm.

PPBUS_G3H 12.26V stable
                                  PPBUS_HS_CPU 12.26V stable
                                  PPDCIN_G3H 4.69V stable
                                  PP20V_USBC_XA_VBUS 4.87V stable
                                  PP3V3_G3H_RTC 3.30V stable
                                  PP3V3_G3H 3.23V stable
                                  PP3V3_AWAKE 3.23V stable
                                  PP1V8_AWAKE 1.8V stable
                                  PP1V2_AWAKE 1.2V stable
                                  PPVDDCPU_AWAKE 0.75V stable

PP5V_G3S 0.0V no pulse
                                  PP3V3_G3S 0.0V no pulse
                                  PP1V8_G3S 0.0V no pulse
                                  PP1V2_S3 0.0V no pulse
                                  PPVCCGT_S0_CPU 0.0V no pulse
                                  P5VG3S_CSP1 0.0V no pulse

Cannot for the life of me find a short anywhere. Certainly not on the main power rails.

DFU:
                                  I tried USB-A to USB-C, both ports, with and without plugging charger in. Also tried connecting SE032 pads.
                                  Then tried USB-C to USB-C (12" Macbook Retina), with and without charger, SE032 pads.
                                  No sign of connection to the second computers.
                                  Last edited by Fyod; 03-18-2022, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Use boardview to identify each USB port and CD3217 pair.

Compare diode mode to ground on LDO rails of both chips.

Check for short on all big coils (secondary power supplies).

Comment

No shorts on coils, LDO rails are okay.

Comment

Please can someone upload to us the dmg file for the apple configurator 2 from applications ? my country does not support so the file is not available on the app store

Comment

Working...
                                        X