HP Pavillion DV6700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Pavillion DV6700

I found a HP Laptop. When I plug it in to the adapter it charges but when I press power the LED lights light up, the fan starts for 2 to 3 seconds then shuts off. After looking it up, I've done all the hard resets with and without the battery. I completly disassembled it and heated up the graphics card, dont have a heat gun but read and watched several people put the board in the oven for a few minutes to resolder it. Apparently thats a popular fix. The 3V coin battery was really low so I replaced. But its still shutting off.

Re: HP Pavillion DV6700

Dont waste your time on this crap mb. The gpu there is very well known to fail and all those oven fix wont last for more then 10-20 days. The only solution is to replace the chip but unfortunately the chips sold as so called new are all garbage chips.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      Dont waste your time on this crap mb. The gpu there is very well known to fail and all those oven fix wont last for more then 10-20 days. The only solution is to replace the chip but unfortunately the chips sold as so called new are all garbage chips.
      Yeah, I figured I would part it out if the oven didnt work. Just seeing if maybe someone had another suggestion.

Comment

Depends on which model exactly it is (as usual full model number is required…). see-ic still has some good fixed G84/G86 GPUs.
        If it is an AMD model with a dead MCP67 it's a different story…
        Of course you need a BGA rework station to replace it.

Another solution is to the replace the motherboard with an Intel one without dGPU. You need the correct heatsink as well though.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          Depends on which model exactly it is (as usual full model number is required…). see-ic still has some good fixed G84/G86 GPUs.
          If it is an AMD model with a dead MCP67 it's a different story…
          Of course you need a BGA rework station to replace it.

Another solution is to the replace the motherboard with an Intel one without dGPU. You need the correct heatsink as well though.
          Unless P/N is the model number then it doesn't list the model number on it.

NVIDIA GeForce 7150M GPU

Sounds like more money than Id want to put into it just by looking at the rework stations lol. Cant use a soldering iron?
          Attached Files

Comment

Part number is written on the die of the chip. That's gonna be some variant of the defective MCP67 anyway, which is not available. So the only solution is to replace the board (and heatsink) with one that doesn't have a defective NVidia chip (Intel platform without dGPU).

I don't see how you want to replace a BGA chip with a soldering iron…
            OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
              Part number is written on the die of the chip. That's gonna be some variant of the defective MCP67 anyway, which is not available. So the only solution is to replace the board (and heatsink) with one that doesn't have a defective NVidia chip (Intel platform without dGPU).

I don't see how you want to replace a BGA chip with a soldering iron…
              Because I don't want to buy the station that would cost more than the laptop is worth. It's just an old laptop I found, no biggie. I'd make more parting it out than fixing it and selling it. Granted, it'll take longer.
              Last edited by CapsDude; 03-12-2021, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X