Bionic Pup 32-bit O/S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bionic Pup 32-bit O/S

This is a Linux OS that runs in Ram that I found on an Explaining Computers You Tube video. It's available for download on Source Forge. Select "Linux" then search "uppup". This is a tiny yet powerful distro. Burn it to a USB stick. I downloaded it in MX Linux because their USB burner allows you to create a rewritable partition on the install USB stick.

Why would you do this? Main reason it's only 300MB in size. The included "Light" browser allows you to watch YouTube or post here with as little as 1GB of ram and a slow processor. The browser is based on Firefox but WAY more efficient.

Did I mention it's blazing quick? Theoretically you can save your session. I'm still working on that aspect.

As long as your system will boot from a USB stick you are good to go. In fact, I'm thinking you could use an Optical Drive with a "PLOP' CD to start up Bionic Pup on an ancient machine.

Anyone else tried this?

Re: Bionic Pup 32-bit O/S

On old 32 bits only machine I generally install Debian with LXQt. If it's for my personal use it's ArchLinux32 with i3.
    Although I personally use Firefox, I found Chromium to be slightly more efficient than Firefox in terms of RAM with only one tab open, and lagging a bit less when video acceleration is not available or CPU is overloaded.
    There are of course other more lightweight browsers but website compatibility is a problem for the lightest ones, and in fact rendering is slower without video acceleration or with overloaded CPU.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

There are a lot of Puppy Linux variants. I still have an older one (based on Ubuntu 12.04) on a flash drive.

I also used Tiny Core a long time ago. It ran in RAM, but it didn't include any software beyond a terminal and some minimal form of a package manager.

Comment

I still run a full 32-bit OS that's still constantly updating on my 32-bit machines... just to run Firefox 78ESR ...

Comment

Working...
        X