e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

I have an E701i-A3E that went black while watching it a few months ago, sound still works and image is still on screen after flashlight test. When the TV powers on the V logo and the backlights do appear for maybe a half second, then it goes black, sometimes with a slight flickering. replaced the tcon and nothing, replaced the power board and had the exact same issue. finally i took the plunge and removed the screen to find that this is actually an edge lit TV with 3 led strips along the bottom of the screen, which i did not expect. upon further review i was able to find at least 2 burned out LEDS in one of the 3 led strips. this problem to me did not seem at first to be bad leds since the backlights were coming on and then flickering and turning off. the flickering caused me to believe it was power supply related. however it would seem this model was released after the backlit led model and from what i have gathered the power supply on this TV will cut all power to the backlights if it detects any of them being bad. this particular issue, with this particular model is very hard to find any info on. i am not a pro and just like to do this in my spare time, so if this can help anyone i would be happy. good day to all and if anyone knows what the part number for these led strips are, it would help, as i cannot see a clear part number on the strips themselves. or maybe a little help as to where to find the part number, thanks.

Comment

You need to replace the bad LEDs or the whole strip. The power supply will shut down to protect from over voltage.

Comment

Well need some help guys... i removed the drivers and put it all together have some lines.. I think I need to clean the cables and put them back. BUT I noticed the following:

- I used a OO power cable instead of the [ ]O looking power cable to power up the tv.
        - The LEDs seem to brighten and darken and brighten like a very slow strobe.

Did I mess up the board with the power cable? I switched to the [ ]O type and still slowly pulses....

what would make the LEDs do this?

any help would be appreciated. What should I test? Will the shop Jimmy Referb power board kit fix this?
        Last edited by cueballsi; 09-29-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

here is a tip. in a dark room, boot up the TV. If you see the screen V flash, then that means it is an LED issue. IF an LED shorts out on a strip, it will take out the whole strip (like xmas lights). IF you want to tackle this job, be very carful when removing the Lcd... If that cracks, Bye Felica!

Once you get the LCD screen and diffusers off... turn on your phone camera to high speed and boot up the tv.... you will see the LEDs light up on boot up ... and the surge of power will arch through the bad LEDs. your high speed video will capture this, and you can determine which ones are dimmer/not lighting in the video... those are the bad LEDs.

I learned all this on youtube :-)

NOW- replacing the LEDs ... you tube that... they use a heat gun type soldering iron.

Originally posted by BOOSKI00 View Post
          I have an E701i-A3E that went black while watching it a few months ago, sound still works and image is still on screen after flashlight test. When the TV powers on the V logo and the backlights do appear for maybe a half second, then it goes black, sometimes with a slight flickering. replaced the tcon and nothing, replaced the power board and had the exact same issue. finally i took the plunge and removed the screen to find that this is actually an edge lit TV with 3 led strips along the bottom of the screen, which i did not expect. upon further review i was able to find at least 2 burned out LEDS in one of the 3 led strips. this problem to me did not seem at first to be bad leds since the backlights were coming on and then flickering and turning off. the flickering caused me to believe it was power supply related. however it would seem this model was released after the backlit led model and from what i have gathered the power supply on this TV will cut all power to the backlights if it detects any of them being bad. this particular issue, with this particular model is very hard to find any info on. i am not a pro and just like to do this in my spare time, so if this can help anyone i would be happy. good day to all and if anyone knows what the part number for these led strips are, it would help, as i cannot see a clear part number on the strips themselves. or maybe a little help as to where to find the part number, thanks.
          Last edited by cueballsi; 09-29-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, i have removed the screen using 4 glass and tile suction cups and an extra set of hands. No issues and it was actually pretty easy using this method. I made sure to align all of the suction cups so they were all holding about the same weight. I removed all the other filters and there is a thick clear plastic layer that the light travels through from the edge lit leds. Layed all the layers down in order so hopefully re assembly is easy. Returned my power supply and will sell my extra tcon once i know its working. Waiting now on the replacment led strips. They are very hard to remove as they are glued into place. And there is a small black cable conduit that runs directly in front of the strips that is also very well glued down. A razor did the job luckily i didnt cut myself or any wires. I will update once its done. Wish me luck !

Comment

glad it all worked out... NOW... who can answer my questions

Originally posted by BOOSKI00 View Post
              Thanks guys, i have removed the screen using 4 glass and tile suction cups and an extra set of hands. No issues and it was actually pretty easy using this method. I made sure to align all of the suction cups so they were all holding about the same weight. I removed all the other filters and there is a thick clear plastic layer that the light travels through from the edge lit leds. Layed all the layers down in order so hopefully re assembly is easy. Returned my power supply and will sell my extra tcon once i know its working. Waiting now on the replacment led strips. They are very hard to remove as they are glued into place. And there is a small black cable conduit that runs directly in front of the strips that is also very well glued down. A razor did the job luckily i didnt cut myself or any wires. I will update once its done. Wish me luck !

Comment

Came across this video, might help with figuring out which side is the problem. https://youtu.be/cyCKoMi_5IA

Comment

Originally posted by Hornnumb2 View Post
                  Came across this video, might help with figuring out which side is the problem. https://youtu.be/cyCKoMi_5IA

YUP, that is what I used to diagnose which side... great info ...

Comment

Hi everyone, I've read through dozens of pages of this thread and I think I have a decent idea of what I'm doing but just want to get some confirmation. I'll try to outline my situation so far:

I have the classic issue with no picture/'blue' screen/audio still works/the whole nine. I've taken off the back panel and tried taking off the left and right driver wires with no changes (leading me to believe that the T-Con board is fried). I have not tried purchasing a new T-Con board or anything, all of this has transpired over the last 24 hours, but I came across this forum and I want to figure out what I might need to do moving forward.

It sounds like my next move is to buy 2 new T-Con boards and test them out with the left and right side disconnected to figure out which side of my drivers is shot.

My main questions are:
                    - when I get the new boards, Should I connect them fully before turning the TV on (ie. should all 4 wires be connected directly to the TCon when I test out with the left and right side disconnected?)
                    - assuming I'm able to figure out what the problem side is on the first try, is there any reason to test out the other side?
                    - Once I figure out which side is fried (let's say for argument's sake, it's the left side) - all I need to do is pull off the drivers from tht side and I should be home free?
                    - is there a certain retailer or store I should try to buy the T-Cons from?
                    - Are there any other things I'm missing?

I don't have any experience with soldering or measuring voltage or anything so I have no issue with buying 2 new TCon boards even though I know it might not be the most cost effective.

I've read through about 40 pages of the forum so admittedly it's possible that these questions have been answered before, I think I'm capable of doing all of this but I just would prefer if it was spelled out for me.

Thanks a ton for all your help

Comment

Absolutely NOT, you first need to determine without doubt that you have bad drivers on one side, because it can not be undone and should NOT be done if you have a whole different issue, most of the time that is determined by having lines and or a distorted screen on the side that is plugged in, while the other side is blank of course, because the ribbon cable on that other side is unplugged. From what you describe, you have a different problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                        Absolutely NOT, you first need to determine without doubt that you have bad drivers on one side, because it can not be undone and should NOT be done if you have a whole different issue, most of the time that is determined by having lines and or a distorted screen on the side that is plugged in, while the other side is blank of course, because the ribbon cable on that other side is unplugged. From what you describe, you have a different problem.
                        I thought I had the same problem described by most people in this post - backlights but no picture. From what I understand, it sounds like my T-con needs to be replaced in order for me to test out if one of my drivers has failed, correct? Because without the new T-con, I won't be able to get any picture and determine which side of my drivers are bad.

My main question was about how exactly to test each side with the new T-con. There are 4 ribbon wires that lead into the T-con, which should all be connected, right? The only thing disconnected should be the left or right side drivers to test which one is the problem.

Am I completely off base or does that sound like my next move?

Comment

See if this helps, see how he determined his issue right around 2:55? watch whole video, see if you have a similar setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXhb_jGJKE

Comment

Keep looking on youtube, it's all there, just hard to locate sometimes.

Comment

See if this helps, see how he determined his issue right around 2:55? watch whole video, see if you have a similar setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXhb_jGJKE
                              So I think I'm a step behind this - I'm not getting any picture at all, just backlights and sound. Which based on previous posts in here, it sounds like I need to replace the T-conn board before I can determine which side is giving me the problem, right?

So my next step should be to put in the new T-conn and turn the TV on with one of the drivers disconnected and see if I get any picture.

Does that make sense?

Comment

I think I realize what you're saying - I haven't considered the possibility that it really is just my T-con board that needs to be replaced. I've been operating on the assumption that one side of the drivers is what caused the T-con failure, but I'm guessing it's possible that the T-con fried independently right?

So if I test with the drivers disconnected on each side and don't see any obvious signs of either side being bad, then I obviously wouldn't want to rip off any of the drivers and I can just reconnect them both and call it a day.

Comment

You know I think I've read about every post in this thread but my memory is pretty much gone, I'm not sure if this is the type tv that the bad panel is taking out the tcons or not, that's if the panel IS bad, if it is, I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, they went over every detail more than once. Member budwich would probably know, he spent a lot of time with this thread.
                                  Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-19-2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

You know I think I've read about every post in this thread but my memory is pretty much gone, I'm not sure if this is the type tv that the bad panel is taking out the tcons or not, that's if the panel IS bad, if it is, I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, they went over every detail more than once. Member budwich would probably know, he spent a lot of time with this thread.
                                    I just read through the entire thing over the last couple days and it seems like the most likely cause of T-con failure is one side of the panel drivers, although there are cases on other forums/videos of people just swapping out the t-con and being good to go. I didn't see any obvious visual signs that either side of the drivers failed on my set (no dark spots or anything) but I want to minimize the risk of going through multiple T-cons to try and diagnose it.

I bought a used T-con on ebay that should hopefully be here later this week so I'll try disconnecting each side of the drivers and seeing if there's any signs pointing to one set being the problem. But if the picture looks fine either way and there's no difference in brightness/lines/color issues, then maybe the T-con just went independently.

Comment

Yes, good idea, if you see the lines or distortion with one side connected at a time, then you know it's likely a panel issue, if you get half a good picture on each then you should be ok.

Comment

Found this video as an example of only the T-con needing to be replaced. What he describes in the beginning of the video sounds like exactly what happened to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPLlN2m0nOU

But to be safe I'm still going to test with each of the sides disconnected. I'll post updates later this week or over the weekend, wish me luck!

Thanks everyone

Comment

You bet, good luck, let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X