X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset/erase Hynix SC210 to factory default

Some Googling made this seem straightforward, but it ain't necessarily so:

First try was Hynix Drive Manager, supposed to be able to do PSID reset

In Win7 x86 context, what shoddy software – this greeted me first time I clicked it from Start menu:

After wild goose chase triggered by the OpenGL bit, I tried swapping graphics cards until penny dropped when it still objected to a Radeon HD3450

How I got it work:

1. Command prompt
    2. Change to install directory \Program Files\SK Hynix Drive Manager
    3. Copy d3dcompiler_47.dll taken from \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox of a Win10 x86 machine
    4. Run skhms-drive-gui.exe

To be fair, in Win10 environment, the POS does run without issue

But still won't reset SSD unless one knows its password (no sign of PSID reset option)

Next I tried EasyKit_WindowsInstaller_x64.exe from:
    https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index...41&v_langue=en

This did have a PSID reset option, but it was greyed-out, making me think my SC210 doesn't support that

Then I started chasing down various HDPARM rabbit holes on the Internet

It soon became apparent that Dell's password algorithm is much more sophisticated than leaving a default value for master password

Next try was a couple of Dell password generators, both originating from hpgl, Russia

Unfortunately they didn't work either:

So now I'm SOL unless I can get a Dell password that works for the SC210

Any help most appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 04-24-2022, 06:32 AM. Reason: Thread title changed as requested by OP
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Re: Wasting life trying to reset/erase Hynix SC210 to factory default

Use hdparm to send the drive an ATA_SECURE_ERASE command. This not only wipes the drive, destroying all data on it, but also clears the password on the drive.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      Use hdparm to send the drive an ATA_SECURE_ERASE command. This not only wipes the drive, destroying all data on it, but also clears the password on the drive.
      If only it was that simple ...

Attached Files
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

How are you connecting the drive to the computer?
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          How are you connecting the drive to the computer?
          Sata connector usually used by DVD drive

Dell BIOS seems to accommodate that alright - note in 2nd last pic, message says "system modular bay HDD is protected by a password"

Comment

dell bioses can be a real pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              dell bioses can be a real pain in the ass.
              Don't I know it ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...4&postcount=12

Comment

Re: Reset/erase Hynix SC210 to factory default

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...05&postcount=8

Comment

Working...
                X