Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Nitro 5 an515-55 dead laptop no lights

Hello

Got the above laptop I am trying to diagnose/repair.

Got 19v in all places of the board it seems. However I am definitely missing 5v as I also have a working version and 5v is not present in places it should be on the working one with just the charger plugged in. I have found a large black capacitor on this line shorted to ground.

I was thinking of voltage injection into this capacitor but being a relative noob on laptops I would appreciate some advice please.

Thanks

Re: Acer Nitro 5 an515-55 dead laptop no lights

Measure the resistance on the shorted cap.Remove the shorted capacitor. re measure resistancce on the shorted cap pads. Is there a significant rise in resistance??

Comment

I have done more investigation at the regulator of the 5v line. Whilst this was in place the resistance was 24 ohms. When removed the system side was still the same but the other side was in kohms.

Comment

Hope, that that wasnt an inductor. Can you provide a photo of board and that element?

Comment

Just added a photo of the coil removed.
          Attached Files

Comment

Was the part @ PCV36 removed ?

That is an electrolytic capacitor footprint.
            Attached Files

Comment

I didn't remove it, however I have a working version of this laptop that does have that second capacitor in place. It does have a slightly different version number, I assumed it was because of this. I bought the laptop second hand as non working and it has definitely had some work in this area.

Comment

Working...
              X