Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A1706 MBP Strange Power On with battery issue

Hi,

I have an odd issue with this A1706 which I'm having problems tracking down.

It will cold boot when plugged in to the charger.

Battery charges up fine and works fine unplugged.

Cold boot on battery power does NOT work!

Cold boot on battery power by opening and closing the lid works!

No liquid damage or burnt stuff. There was one small cap hanging off just below the CPU (C1028) but that wasn't the issue. Looked like a manufacturing fault.

Anyone seen this issue before?

Re: A1706 MBP Strange Power On with battery issue

What is the voltage of PPBUS_G3H with only the charged battery ? (remove the external dc adapter)

This is to confirm the operation of battery mosfet @ Q7065.

Also measure the voltage of PPVIN_G3H_P3V3G3H with only the battery. You can check this voltage @ pin # 3 of D6902.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I've already told my customer it's almost a non issue as the thing powers up from cold on battery when the lid is opened, so not so much an issue for them.

I will however do your suggestions before I put it back together and report back here. It might give a clue for someone else as not common by the looks.

I suppose most people have the 'open lid power on' option set on so it's not a problem until the battery has failed. Then opening and closing the lid won't work.

FYI for anyone:
      Replacing the battery makes it work again , but doesnt fix the power button problem. Use the lid-power-on as an interim, or plug it in to the charger.

Kim

Comment

Around 12.6v on PPBUS_G3H

12.3v pin3 of D6902

Gotta send it back now so all I can do. :-(

Comment

Working...
        X