X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Looks like that video card was built to fail on purpose. If the bad OSTs aren't enough for you, it also has Chemicon KZG and a tiny heatsink with no fins. Oh, and those GeForce 8x00 series do have the bumpgate issue, so that heatsink is not helping at all.
    The OSTs likely popped because the fan seized. That being said, OSTs would probably outgas anyway, eventually, whether they deform the can or not. As you recently observed, lots of bad capacitors, including Teapos and OSTs, likely went bad without showing it because they outgassed too slowly to violently die, but when the liquid electrolyte turns to hydrogen gas and dries up, ESR often goes through the roof.

Interesting how Dell (or rather Foxconn?) used good polymer caps on some of these (like the one I have in my 170L) and KZG in others.
    The pictured failure is a small form factor machine as evidenced by the type of fan used. Yours is a regular size desktop - that's likely why. Different motherboards. And those KZGs appear to have 2005 datecodes - frankly, I'm surprised they even lasted 10 years in a small form factor machine, even in storage.

Speaking of KZG, I had one 820 uF 6.3V KZG fail on a P5GC-MX while sitting unused in storage for a year. This was back in October. Yesterday, I had a look at that motherboard again, and another 820 uF 6.3V KZG has failed again, all on its own. I guess it is only a matter of time before others bulge on that motherboard. It's had something like 50k hours on the clock, though. So not too bad overall. I guess KZG doesn't like to sit unused more than anything else.
    If anything kills KZGs faster than storage time, it's heat. They seem to pop very quickly when overheated even mildly. I have an arduous time believing they (KZGs/KZJs) survived the 2,000 hour @ 105*C torture test - they seem to outgas under less thermal duress. Aqueous capacitors are more likely to bulge in storage because the bias applied to the plates also plays a part in inhibiting the corrosion-based failures, not just the oxidizers and neutralizers present in a good electrolytic solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
      I was just about to say ..
      Wow! XD

-Ben
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

That Dell was actually a production machine in the Lab where I work. Ran 24/7/365 for 9 or 10 years. Amazing the thing still worked at all, with the original PSU, HDD, and everything.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
        The OSTs likely popped because the fan seized. That being said, OSTs would probably outgas anyway, eventually, whether they deform the can or not. As you recently observed, lots of bad capacitors, including Teapos and OSTs, likely went bad without showing it because they outgassed too slowly to violently die, but when the liquid electrolyte turns to hydrogen gas and dries up, ESR often goes through the roof.

The pictured failure is a small form factor machine as evidenced by the type of fan used. Yours is a regular size desktop - that's likely why. Different motherboards. And those KZGs appear to have 2005 datecodes - frankly, I'm surprised they even lasted 10 years in a small form factor machine, even in storage.

If anything kills KZGs faster than storage time, it's heat. They seem to pop very quickly when overheated even mildly. I have an arduous time believing they (KZGs/KZJs) survived the 2,000 hour @ 105*C torture test - they seem to outgas under less thermal duress. Aqueous capacitors are more likely to bulge in storage because the bias applied to the plates also plays a part in inhibiting the corrosion-based failures, not just the oxidizers and neutralizers present in a good electrolytic solution.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
          That Dell was actually a production machine in the Lab where I work. Ran 24/7/365 for 9 or 10 years. Amazing the thing still worked at all, with the original PSU, HDD, and everything.
          Tsss, I'm trying to repair the power supply in a newer DELL at the moment, which is only about 3 years old.
          Apparently, these things go down like FLIES! -_-

-Ben
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
            Tsss, I'm trying to repair the power supply in a newer DELL at the moment, which is only about 3 years old.
            Apparently, these things go down like FLIES! -_-

-Ben
            One of the new Dell SFF 390/790/3010/etc ones? See my other thread on this. Apparently the little shunt ceramic cap by the PWM explodes.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzinforit View Post
              One of the new Dell SFF 390/790/3010/etc ones? See my other thread on this. Apparently the little shunt ceramic cap by the PWM explodes.
              Yes, and Ahhha! Yeah, same thing happened here.
              But it took out the main FET, PWM control circuitry, and the PFC FET.
              (Also a few other parts blew too)
              The fuse blew spectacularly as well! :P

Here is my thread:
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=613739
              (Didn't think to look it up before making thread .. lmao, oh well)

-Ben
              Last edited by ben7; 12-08-2015, 03:35 PM.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                The pictured failure is a small form factor machine as evidenced by the type of fan used.
                As big as that CPU fan is, I completely missed seeing it

Originally posted by ben7
                Didn't think to look it up before making thread .. lmao, oh well
                At least now you have something to compare against in terms of component values.

Comment

Bad capacitors from the power supply in my old Philips 170s. Stopped working properly one day:

Replaced 9 x 470uF capacitors (Samxon GF series) with rubycon ZLJ.

I still get some hissing from the backlights, but it goes away after it warms up. Backlights probably need replacing.
                  Attached Files

Comment

An OST of 1000 microfarad 6.3v RLS series, with 32.000h of usage, from there began to swell slightly xD.
                    It is an ECS RC415T-AM with AMD chipset from Acer Aspire.
                    I think swelled by the heat.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kevin!; 06-18-2016, 05:25 AM.
                    Gaming pc:
                    nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                    Workshop PC:
                    Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                    Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                      An OST of 1000 microfarad 6.3v RLS series, with 32.000h of usage, from there began to swell slightly xD.
                      It is an ECS RC415T-AM with AMD chipset from Acer Aspire.
                      I think swelled by the heat.
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1466248802
                      It appears to be on the input of a buck regulator (VRM). And OST RLS caps typically don't deal too well with that. Nor do they like heat either. Any of these two will ruin them rather quickly. They are usually okay only on the input/output of linear regulators that don't run hot.

I have two AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboads, and both are filled with OST RLS for the small caps. All of the caps appeared fine, but those that were located close to heat sources had either started to or have already developed high ESR.

So get that OST RLS cap changed ASAP. Buck regulators don't like it too much when their caps go out of spec - could end up with a blown chip.
                      Also change any other bad cap brands that are located near inductors/coils and/or heat sources.

Comment

It appears to be on the input of a buck regulator (VRM). And OST RLS caps typically don't deal too well with that. Nor do they like heat either. Any of these two will ruin them rather quickly. They are usually okay only on the input/output of linear regulators that don't run hot.

I have two AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboads, and both are filled with OST RLS for the small caps. All of the caps appeared fine, but those that were located close to heat sources had either started to or have already developed high ESR.

So get that OST RLS cap changed ASAP. Buck regulators don't like it too much when their caps go out of spec - could end up with a blown chip.
                        Also change any other bad cap brands that are located near inductors/coils and/or heat sources.
                        I'll keep that in mind, one of these days the change.
                        ever suffered artifacts in integrated gpu .
                        I have a pair of capacitors rubycon, I will make a recap you soon.
                        Thank you very much for your help
                        Bye
                        Last edited by kevin!; 06-20-2016, 04:45 AM.
                        Gaming pc:
                        Workshop PC:
                        Server:

Comment

I'll keep that in mind, one of these days the change.
                          Try to do that as soon as possible, though. I've had a Shuttle PC motherboard get damaged beyond repair when (ironically) some OST caps went bad on it (on a buck regulator circuit). Also have a permanently damaged router due to this.

Comment

O.o
                            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Try to do that as soon as possible, though. I've had a Shuttle PC motherboard get damaged beyond repair when (ironically) some OST caps went bad on it (on a buck regulator circuit). Also have a permanently damaged router due to this.
                              Just got a Shuttle AK32L in with OST and I.Q. everywhere but will recap and use with Voodo5 5500.

Comment

Since that day you warn me, I to not touch the computer to prevent damage.
                                Tomorrow surely repair .
                                Thank
                                (sorry my bad english hehe)
                                Gaming pc:
                                Workshop PC:
                                Server:

Comment

Momaka, already repaired the motherboard .
                                  i put rubycon 1000 microfarads 16v, MBZ series.

Now I notice that works more stable
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by kevin!; 06-24-2016, 02:41 AM.
                                  Gaming pc:
                                  Workshop PC:
                                  Server:

Comment

Momaka, already repaired the motherboard .
                                    i put rubycon 1000 microfarads 16v, MBZ series.
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1466757565

Now I notice that works more stable
                                    Good work... *BUT* change all of the caps around that inductor / toroid. It's only a matter of time before the other bad brand caps fail. Also, just because they may look okay doesn't mean that they are.

Normally, I am lazy when it comes to doing a full recap as well. But anything around an inductor or coil or toroid is *always* changed with a known good Japanese capacitor brand. I make no exceptions about that as I've seen things burn up way too many times.

Also forgot to add to my "unrepairable" count above: two eVGA GeForce 7600GT video cards. Both had *dead* RAM chips due to RAM voltage regulator going crazy due to bad caps.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 06-24-2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Don't be lazy. Some time ago I recapped some MSI 478 board, since that it has seen daily use, for last year 24/7. Left like 5 caps unchanged, some of them tiny D6.3. All went bad recently.
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Good work... *BUT* change all of the caps around that inductor / toroid. It's only a matter of time before the other bad brand caps fail. Also, just because they may look okay doesn't mean that they are.

Normally, I am lazy when it comes to doing a full recap as well. But anything around an inductor or coil or toroid is *always* changed with a known good Japanese capacitor brand. I make no exceptions about that as I've seen things burn up way too many times.

Also forgot to add to my "unrepairable" count above: two eVGA GeForce 7600GT video cards. Both had *dead* RAM chips due to RAM voltage regulator going crazy due to bad caps.
                                        Ok, the change all (OST/Toshin) capacitors, since the Toshin/OST not give me confidence.
                                        Now I understand why many die VRAM.
                                        There is one thing that impressed me this plate despite having bad capacitors, is that the CPU VRM polymers are sanyo.
                                        Bye .
                                        Last edited by kevin!; 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM.
                                        Gaming pc:
                                        Workshop PC:
                                        Server:

Comment

And this, so far put quality capacitors in areas of the inductors.
                                          I could not change them all (remaining capacitors I do not have enough microfarads)
                                          Attached Files
                                          Gaming pc:
                                          Workshop PC:
                                          Server:

Comment

Working...
                                          X