Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on how to remove a very stuck memory chip on a GPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on how to remove a very stuck memory chip on a GPU?

Hi Everyone

I'm after some tips on how to remove a VERY stuck memory chip on an RTX2070. I am a beginner with this size chip so I bought an old non working GTX960 and I can remove and refit the memory chips to that with ease.
    So far I have cranked my hot air station to as high as it will go (It says 450C but I have no way to confirm that but its hot... its a cheap ebay unit. And I have a large square nozzle and have tried smaller nozzles.) I cant get the solder balls under the chip to melt. It has taken some flux in under it but still wont move. I have chipped one of the edges of the chip away by putting my tweezers under it whilst heating it. I've tried taking the top layer of the chip off but still cant get the solder to melt. I have shielded the GPU from the heat with some aluminum foil as I have gotten the board as hot as I dare (heated for a few mins @ 450C and pre heated the board before I started).
    Has anyone got any tips? Different flux? trying to get some solder flowing under it? just give it all the heat in the world??? I'm really not sure how to do it from here, so hoping for some experienced hands to help me out. Sorry if this is in the wrong section too

Thanks in advance, Kurt

Re: Tips on how to remove a very stuck memory chip on a GPU?

You might be able to get away with using a bottom heater to hold the board around 100c and your cheap hot air station but ideally you need a decent hot air station like an Atten 862D or the Quick 861DW.
    I struggled to do some jobs with my cheap station but don't now i have the Atten.

Comment

I don't have a board heater. I was just heading it with the station. It just seems weird to me that I can take the 960 chips off with ease but not the 2070. Maybe they changed the solder? Thankyou for the suggestions on the hot air station I think I'll invest in one of those

Comment

I guess it's because the 2070 has a much higher peak power requirements so has thicker/larger ground and power planes sucking away the heat.

Comment

If at all possible using low melt solder and I just bought this one (haven't used yet) but northridgefix uses this hot air station: https://northridgefix.com/product/at...ith-4-nozzles/

Comment

You can't get low melt solder under ics that use BGA. The gap is to small and the solder too thick.

Comment

Working...
            X