X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi all,

Old timer here but I am a professional electronics technician. I've been in the field nearly 40 years and one thing is for sure, you are never too old to learn a thing or two.

Look forward to picking some of your brains from time to time.

Cheers folks!

Ps. I am also a ham radio operator. WA4BEB/VK3BEB

Comment

hello all.

Comment

Hey, my name is Ed and I worked with circuit boards for about 5 years in a Fortune 500 company. My frustration today as a new guest is a Magnavox LCD TV. Replaced 6 caps and still no power! Any thoughts out here on what gets replaced next? TV suddenly lost power - it is 5 years old, the caps were not bulging and had no signs of leakage but I replaced them anyway, with no results on power.

Comment

Hello,
          My name is David and I found that this forum has helped me troubleshoot a lot of boards on google, I figured I should join in case there was something I could not find on the net. The people here seem to know a great deal about hardware and being that I am a newbie to this biz will help me a great deal. I appreciate forums like this and I would like to thank each and every one of your help in the future.

Comment

Hello all,

I'm a computer enthusiast that likes to tackle his own repairs. Currently I'm trying to learn how to repair my old LCD TV. I want to learn more about electronics and troubleshooting for computers TV, receivers, radio's.. etc.

I'll be in and out time to time, after all this is mostly a hobby for me.

Comment

Hello Badcaps forum

I am primarily posting to enable full functionality for this forum. But hey, I am Brian Ottosen. My specialties are more on the software side of computer graphics but I came across this site in an attempt to repair by 30" Dell monitor. Thanks to this site I am now waiting for the ordered spare part with high hopes.

Best regards
              Brian Turner Ottosen
              Managing Director, HoBSoft
              www.hobsoft.net

Comment

Howdy all,
                New to this forum. Just got a philips 42pfl7422d/37 out of a dumpster and think that all that is wrong is the power supply so just doing a bit of research before sending off for one.

Comment

My Introduction -

Name = TomS. I've been into electronics repair since I took my father's pinball machine apart at age 10, that was 45 yrs ago! Spent most of my family raising years as a Sr. Field Engineer for Electronic Data Systems (credit union services), working remotely from the company in S.E. Wisconsin. Now on a solo career path doing custom A/V installs, HVAC, Electrical, Custom Fabrication, Golf Simulators (OptiShot) & PC/Network Support. But My free time is spent repairing other people's broken electronics along with the poor unwanted and discarded equipment that finds it's way to me. Spare time right now is filled with 37" Vizio (back light only), 42" Vizio (no 12 or 24v), 4 800w Polk mobile amps, CVID-E40 Multimedia Player (no blue on vga), Onkyo TX-SR604 (blown outputs), couple of Dell Laptops - the list goes on. Why do I come here? This site saves me the one resource I have to little of - TIME! As much as I enjoy sifting through circuits & schematics to find that failed component, the time consumed doing things solo is time I don't have! So I resort to tapping the experience and technical talent of the membership on this and other forums. Yes - I'm an admitted leach. I thank all of you on this site for your questions and time saving answers. I'll be watching.........

Comment

Hi, my username is ishelly404, I have been lurking on the fourm for about 6 months, but just recently registered and started posting.

Just a little about me, I have been reparing electronics for about 6 years, usually picking up broken pc's, lcd tv/monitors and various small electronics cheap or free, and then reselling them on ebay, craigslist etc. I dont usually make much of a profit on items I have repaired, its more of a hobby than anything else. I am also a keen ham radio operator. I have a General class license, and my call is KC2YXU.

Ian

Comment

Hello, My username is Snippit and my real name is Craig. I am from Vancouver Island Canada and have been in the Tech Support field for almost 15 years. What brought me to this forum was a google search about a dead Samsung 245BW monitor to find out what was wrong with it when one day the screen went black but power was still going to it. Anyway, so far I have found quite a bit of information on that particular monitor and am currently attempting to fix it. Thats all for now. Thanks for all the wonderful information

Comment

Hi, just joined the forum which I found in looking for repair info for a TV. Looks like a great forum. My user name is Kart_Wump (don't ask - its not that interesting!), real name Barry.
                        I developed an interest in electronics when I was 15 (45 years ago - yikes!) have worked in the telecoms industry all my working life, and spend spare time building and fixing electronics.

Comment

Hello y'all,

Sorry 'bout the username, it just came to me in a flash . My name is Wil. I found you folks because I just lost my Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 24" monitor, it went black, blue power LED still on. I'll post later about it after I read more of your good threads on it.

About thirty-five years ago (oy vey), I got my First Class RadioTelephone with Ship Radar License, but then went in another direction and became a helicopter bush pilot. Lots of good times, but always missed electronics. Now I'm retired and can maybe learn some more about it, maybe buy an oscilloscope, already have a DMM.

Looks like a great website with a good bunch of people!

Thanks,
                          Wil N. Stevenson
                          Stanwood, WA

Comment

Hey everyone:

I've always wandered around the forum, but finally decided to join.

Hope I can add to the great community.

Comment

TWBranch

Well I finally joined. I have been reading posts for a few months and decided I like the folks who post on this site.

I got interested in electronics while trying to repair my guitar/bass amps when I was in a band. I joined the USNavy and became an Aviation Electronics Tech and now I am a calibration tech in the civilian world.

The funny thing is I search ebay and craigslist for broken tvs, game consoles, radios and other electronics to repair. I consider that my hobby. It is funny because I have noticed all the bad caps you have listed are in so many other electronics not just computers.

Anyway that is me!

Comment

I'm Pushit

I'm a new member, but have lurked around for a while. So far I have fixed an AMD quadcore computer by replacing a few caps & sold it for $400. =)

Comment

Lurked for a few days. Have fixed hundreds of computers, but have never reclaimed a mobo with recapping. The two times I tried it, it didn't restore the mobos. Have recapped a Samsung 22" monitor successfully though. Using it now. Since I have the time now, think I'll try it soon. On my own Dell...which surely needs it. Should have the cap kit tomorrow. Fingers crossed since the mobo is working fine.

Comment

I started out repair TV & radios when I was a kid back in the 50's
                                    My first job, after high school was tv & appliance repair shop in Arcade NY back in 1964 for $1/hr. Worked for GE, Sylvania, JC Penney product service.
                                    Switched to electronic design for Moog Music back in 1973, Emersion Industrial controls then on my own as a design and mfg consultant in 1982.
                                    Was fine until 2008 when economy went south. So I am back to fixing things for some extra money after forced retirement. Yes, most problems with LCD monitors or TV has been capacitors. Lack of documentation makes it difficult to fix anymore.

Comment

Hello, I am Michael from Indianapolis Indiana. I don't know very much about tv's or any electronics. I am a race car mechanic, so I am fairly hands on. I have a Samsung FP-T5084 tv that will not turn on. When you try to turn it on. it makes a clicking sound then the red light on the front will blink until you unplug the power.

attached are two different pictures that show 3 different capacitors that the tops are bulged out

Do all 3 of these capacitors need to be replaced for the TV to work?

I was able to remove the board that is in the middle of the TV with no problems.

I am not sure where to begin on removing the board on the left.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

^Well, if they're bulging, you should replace them.
                                        Replace them all if they're a crappy brand. A bit of preventative measure goes a long way.
                                        There are loads of tutorials on the site, and many lists indicating brands of caps you should trust and stay away from. Ya came to the right place, man.

Anyway, hello! I'm not what you would call "certified" or "experienced" in the ways of electronics, but I have been teaching myself component replacement and electric theory over the past few years or so, and so far, it's a nice little hobby. I work mostly with computers, and enjoy working with older systems.

I'm still a newbie at this, so this site seemed like an excellent start, as there seems to be a lot of electronically well-versed people here. Thanks for having me. ^^

Comment

Howdy,
                                          joined so i could get some advice. reading the intro posts now.

Grew up on Apple II+, learned qbasic on a 386 in H.S. Bought my first 486 in college, fell victim to Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM, and the rest is history.

i'm a recent victim of a 40" samsung LCD TV with picture going out, flashed at first until it warmed up, now won't come on at all, but the sound is always there. took the back off, the caps all look good but one transformer is burned up. Looks just like the pics in other posts. So i ordered a new transformer and will see if that is the magic fix. fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X