Sony STR-DB940 pulled back from the brink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony STR-DB940 pulled back from the brink

A month ago, my Sony STR-DB940 began acting up. The center channel would cut out, and there were constant clicking from the protection relays. Alas, it's given me eight years of faithful service, but I wasn't prepared to do the quite extensive homework in preparation for a new AV receiver purchase just yet. Blu-Ray is still a little bit too expensive, and a new AVR isn't necessary until then.
    Last Saturday, I thought, what the f**k, having it repaired isn't cost effective, and its screwed like this anyway, so I decided to have a go at fixing it myself.
    I had researched the problem on the Net beforehand. This relay thing is a somewhat common problem with these receivers it seems. The speaker protection relays solder joints becomes bad with age. I opened it, pulled every board out to get to the bottom one. There was four blue components that upon googling the designation indeed showed themselves to be the speaker protection relays.
    Not having the service manual thus knowing which relay went to which speakers, I redid all 24 solder joints, and managed to get it put together again,and it didn't say KABOOM when powered on
    I have played six movies on it, and I still have sound in all five channels.

Re: Sony STR-DB940 pulled back from the brink

Congrats! It's always nice to hear a story with a happy ending. My monitor was having some problems such as dimming intermittently and uhh... it had some other problem... can't remember what it was, now. Anyway, I took it apart and fixed as many solder joints as I could, including a set that looked really old and cold, and it went back to working great. I still see the dim thing once in a while, but I think people said it was old caps. I noticed the refresh also caused the monitor to switch modes very quickly. When I would enter a program, such as a game, that wanted to change the resolution and such around, it would take a moment to switch over, but not it's much closer to instantaneous. Interesting things happen after rewetting solder joints. :p
    Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Hey dude, im new here, been searching the internet for a while regarding my sony STR-DB940, same problem, the relay is chattering constantly, i will get sound for anything between 2 seconds, to 10 hours, but it will constantly chatter, now ive opened the unit, and am lost al ready, to me the amp is dead, so any help would be great, is it possible for you to give me a little more info on what you done to fix the problem, because i love this amp

Cheers,

Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by Ethan McF
        Hey dude, im new here, been searching the internet for a while regarding my sony STR-DB940, same problem, the relay is chattering constantly, i will get sound for anything between 2 seconds, to 10 hours, but it will constantly chatter, now ive opened the unit, and am lost al ready, to me the amp is dead, so any help would be great, is it possible for you to give me a little more info on what you done to fix the problem, because i love this amp

Cheers,

Ethan
        Free advice (worth every penny I'm charging for it).

1. When we are not meeting face to face, clear communication is essential. This 'stream of thought' stuff gets old fast. Use short, simple sentences.

2. Most of the people here are willing to help you, but you have to help us. If you don't hear from the OP, take a few pictures and attach them to your next post. That will let us see what you are looking at.

3. In the nicest way possible, what are your skills? Have you ever used a soldering iron? Are you able to take this receiver apart and put it back together? From the sounds of this, it is almost a novice project, but I'd hate to have you try to do it, then wind up with some burns from the soldering iron, bleeding from stabbing yourself with a screwdriver, and your hair singed when the STR-DB940 blew up!

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
          Free advice (worth every penny I'm charging for it).

1. When we are not meeting face to face, clear communication is essential. This 'stream of thought' stuff gets old fast. Use short, simple sentences.

2. Most of the people here are willing to help you, but you have to help us. If you don't hear from the OP, take a few pictures and attach them to your next post. That will let us see what you are looking at.

3. In the nicest way possible, what are your skills? Have you ever used a soldering iron? Are you able to take this receiver apart and put it back together? From the sounds of this, it is almost a novice project, but I'd hate to have you try to do it, then wind up with some burns from the soldering iron, bleeding from stabbing yourself with a screwdriver, and your hair singed when the STR-DB940 blew up!

PlainBill
          Hey, sorry, new here, well im not exactly amazing with stuff like this, ive taken the Amp apart, and completly rebuilt it, yea i can solder etc, but i really have no idea on where im going with it, because when i took the amp apart, and from looking at the Service manual, i can't seem to find the relay, so i just need a little help, if anything is avaliable.

Should i attatch images of all the boreds i can take out of the amp?

Thanks, and thanks for the reply,

Ethan

Comment

Hey, sorry, new here, well im not exactly amazing with stuff like this, ive taken the Amp apart, and completly rebuilt it, yea i can solder etc, but i really have no idea on where im going with it, because when i took the amp apart, and from looking at the Service manual, i can't seem to find the relay, so i just need a little help, if anything is avaliable.

Should i attatch images of all the boreds i can take out of the amp?

Thanks, and thanks for the reply,

Ethan
            That would probably be best. The OP indicated it was the bottom board, so try to get especially good pictures of that. I'll do a little searching and see if I can find something helpful.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Here are some of the images ive taken, ive found the 4 blue things on the main bored!

Ethan
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are some of the images ive taken, ive found the 4 blue things on the main bored!

Ethan
                Ahem!! That's board!!! Now all you have to do is get to the other side of the board and solder all the pins on the relays. You've already done the hard part - getting the receiver apart. Don't make the mistake of skipping pins 'because they look ok'.

PlainBill

Comment

Ahem!! That's board!!! Now all you have to do is get to the other side of the board and solder all the pins on the relays. You've already done the hard part - getting the receiver apart. Don't make the mistake of skipping pins 'because they look ok'.

PlainBill
                  Sorry, from a bad school :|

So the blue things, just solder all the 16 legs again, because there are only 4 legs per relay.

Thanks for your help

Ethan

Comment

So the blue things, just solder all the 16 legs again, because there are only 4 legs per relay.

Thanks for your help

Ethan
                    Sorry just realised after checking throught the service manual, there are 6 legs per relay, so 24 in total.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help

Ethan
                      Mrs. Stewart, my grade school teacher would have said "There are no bad schools. There are bad teachers and bad students."

Glad to help.

PlainBill

Comment

Mrs. Stewart, my grade school teacher would have said "There are no bad schools. There are bad teachers and bad students."

Glad to help.

PlainBill
                        That would be correct!

I'll let you know how i get on in fixing the amp!

Thanks

Ethan

Comment

This old thread suddenly came back to life. Resoldering those four relays is what I did. It was a long shot that paid off. Your mileage may vary.
                          One tip. I didn't make any notes whatsoever about what connector went where. In hindsight, that would have been a good idea. Most of them fit only in one place, or could be determined by cable reach, but in one instance I had to make a guess.
                          A service manual, which I didn't have, but you do, would have been helpful.
                          Another thing, it took some headscratching before I realised that the bottom mainboard had to come out with the big heatsink for the power transistors still attached.

Good luck with the repair attempt

S.G.

Comment

Originally posted by Sudum Gumudu
                            This old thread suddenly came back to life. Resoldering those four relays is what I did. It was a long shot that paid off. Your mileage may vary.
                            One tip. I didn't make any notes whatsoever about what connector went where. In hindsight, that would have been a good idea. Most of them fit only in one place, or could be determined by cable reach, but in one instance I had to make a guess.
                            A service manual, which I didn't have, but you do, would have been helpful.
                            Another thing, it took some headscratching before I realised that the bottom mainboard had to come out with the big heatsink for the power transistors still attached.

Good luck with the repair attempt

S.G.
                            Hey, i didn't need to take the board out, i took the whole thing apart to take photos, then realised that the underneath of the case unscrews to show the underneath of the mainboard. i re soldered the 4 relays, and it works now, well, so far so good, the digital board gets warm thought, don't know if this is normal or not, but other than that, saved me alot, thanks to this forum.

Ethan

Comment

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice on this thread. The tips, experiences and diagrams have enabled me to re-solder all the relay joints today.

So far, so good after 4 hours use. The 'B' speakers are now useable once again and the dreaded relay chatter has gone on my 940. I just hope this stays like it for a few more years.

I was looking at spending on a new Amp, so thank you once again.

Comment

I've had the same problem with mine, B speakers didn't work and it kept clicking and sometimes coming up with "protector"

I resolder the relays today as described above. So far so good, it's been over an hour. Hopefully this solves it for me as I'm not ready to give up yet, I need the phono inputs, my new amp doesn't have this!

Comment

Well it's been a few days now and still working perfectly, fixed!

Comment

Another 940 with clicking relays and centre speaker cutting out here.

Have already pulled it apart once and randomly touched up the solder joints on the output stages, which made naff all difference, never thought of doing the relays

Was thinking it was new amp time but I just love the sound this one makes, anyhow thanks for the info here I'll break out the Soldering Iron again and wave it over the relay connections

Will report back and if I have anything further to add to the thread I will.

Furball

Comment

Result

4mins work with the soldering iron and job done, all points can be got at via the removeable panel underneath.
                                      It took longer to disconnect and remove the amp from the AV rack than it did to solder up the relays

So far its been running for about 20mins and hasnt clicked or dropped a channel once so recon its cured, also the centre speaker output quality has improved by 50% at least, I just hadnt realised how bad it had got

Many thanks to Ethan and the others who have contributed and for anyone else with the same problem heres a pic of the underside of the amp with the relay points that need touching up in RED, the YELLOW dots are a set of connectors that I also touched up as they looked a bit rough.

I've also added it as an attachment just incase the host of the above drops out

Right time for a film I recon

Furball
                                      Attached Files

Comment

And if the host above does drop out your post will end up with a lovely 404 error or something in it I expect.

That's why we say to upload photos here and not bother with anything else.

Good to know you fixed your Amplifier though!
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X