This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

Pete and gonzo, in this case, one huge 400V cap stores the energy and the second brown cap proides the filtering? Would using two huge Blue caps be overkill? Also, why don't I see any metal-polymer (polyester, tantalum etc) caps in there? I know 400VDC caps of this nature exsist, but why are they not being used? Tantalum especially, to cut down harmonic noise?in electronic ckts I use, I've always used two lytics and two Tantalums to decouple harmonics in the power line to the IC's i.e supply to the VCC and -VEE.
    Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
    Zippy GSM-6600P
    Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
    Abit IP35Pro
    ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
      Pete and gonzo, in this case, one huge 400V cap stores the energy and the second brown cap proides the filtering? Would using two huge Blue caps be overkill? Also, why don't I see any metal-polymer (polyester, tantalum etc) caps in there? I know 400VDC caps of this nature exsist, but why are they not being used? Tantalum especially, to cut down harmonic noise?in electronic ckts I use, I've always used two lytics and two Tantalums to decouple harmonics in the power line to the IC's i.e supply to the VCC and -VEE.
      COST!
      also mostly unneeded.

Comment

Hu i think we should take the Discussions in the other topic.....this is pic`s only.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1262

Comment

Nice heatsinks.

Can we trust the Teapos?
          Attached Files
          Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Rainbow: L&C crap? That's worse than usual! I see you got a decent digital camera too.
              The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                Rainbow: L&C crap? That's worse than usual! I see you got a decent digital camera too.
                I don't think so. AFAIK Skyhawk's Skyhawk.

Then again, that's a pretty old model. They've gotten A LOT better, but still aren't anything top notch.
                Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

It's 1999 AT PSU. Looks a bit like DEER to me. Some ATX Skyhawks were DEER so this one might be too. It works fine, just needed cleaning.

Comment

I just had to open my Windows server up to investigate a grinding PSU fan. I thought I was going to replace it, but a drop of oil on the fan bearing solved the problem.

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the PSU. It's a 'Super Power Computer Co' 200W AT PSU. Fan is not original (I replaced it once before, when the old one wore out and dropped to 50rpm.) - note the connection made with plastic tape!

SC (planet logo) caps on the input, Fuhjyyu and a few more SC on the output.
                    Attached Files
                    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1992
                      Originally posted by Rainbow
                      It's 1999 AT PSU. Looks a bit like DEER to me. Some ATX Skyhawks were DEER so this one might be too. It works fine, just needed cleaning.
                      DEER also made AT power supplies when ATX was the standard in 1999 (and still is, with some small changes)?!
                      My gaming PC:
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Vantec Stealth 520W

All Fuhjyyu(sp?) caps on this one (my main PC too)
                        Attached Files

Comment

LiteON 190W PSU from Compaq Proliant DL360 server

This one seems well made. Teapo on the input, but has all Rubycon and Panasonic on the outputs. Has 3x 40mm cooling fans that still work like new. Also has PFC and a sturdy case.

This system was old when I bought it, and I've since put 110 Days of uptime on it without a single glitch. It is my main firewall/gateway, running Clarkconnect Home Edition. Dual PIII 1.13Ghz and 9.1GB SCSI2 RAID. My favorite older system

I posted a couple pics of the motherboard as well so you can see the OSCON's on the VRMs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a fun one. A brand new Sparkle FSP300-60PN vs. a generic "450W" power supply. Look at how much bigger the transformer is in the Sparkle, and it's only 300 watts. The Sparkle uses OST on the input and Teapo on the output. Build quality seems good, much heavier than the generic PSU.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A 480w "COLORSit", UL traces back to "Unitek Electronic Co." Fairly light, fan died after less than a year and was replaced with an older Sunon 2.2w. This PSU came in a case bundle with cheapo keyboard, mouse, and speakers - more specifically, this.

"Fulltec" input caps, and some on output, also a few Fuhjyyu on output if my memory (and these slightly fuzzy photos) serve me correctly. Nothing bulging yet that I could see.

(The photos are better than my last go at this, anyway. )
                              Attached Files
                              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Old DELTA Electronics DPS 110MB-1 A Rev 00

Hi All

DELTA Electronics DPS 110MB-1 A Rev 00

Taken from a PII 450MHZ HP box

well haven't seen this listed (I don't think) so thought I would post some photos

it has died on me and since I had it apart thought it would make for some good shots
                                This uses the DNA1002 DNA1001 chips plus, not sure if its ST90A905 or 339?....
                                nothing falls out of google ....3 x HA17431VP shunt regs to name but a few components
                                Want more let me know

Have put a zip with larger photos for those that may want them

So since we have been call a bunch of pervs who like looking at naked SMPS's

here goes

cheers all
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by starfury1; 11-11-2006, 05:53 AM.
                                You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Nice way to terminate the wire bundles.
                                  I'd be curious to see the spec sheet on where each gob of silicone is supposed to go.
                                  It seems to be smushed over anything that might vibrate.
                                  Jim

Comment

not sure if its ST90A905 or 339?
                                    It's STMicro's version of an LM339, a quad GP comparator. The 90A905 is the date/lot/fab code. The P/S was built in 1999; UCC/Nichicon O/P caps and Teapo I/P caps.
                                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial Macase 250W atx

Hi All

well another blast from the past.

This puppy was running my PII 350 Mhz around 2000

It came with the case And I put in an Enermax 350W
                                      (still going but suppose Id better check it)

It was working when I pulled it I do vaguely remember it may have been a bit flaky

Anyway pull it out today it it dont work you will see that two 470 uF 16V near the TL 494 CN have blown.

(it looks a bit better put together then the very first I posted here)

IP caps are 470Uf 200V
                                      Note: the use of purple on the connector
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by starfury1; 11-14-2006, 11:47 PM.
                                      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Built in Jan. or Feb. 1999. 250W was substantial then. The TL494 is actually made by TI.
                                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Samsung 160W ATX PSU (PSD - 160DAX-1)
                                          No UL number. Is this one of Hipro's made? Or Samsung really made this PSU..?
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by yanz; 11-21-2006, 05:37 AM.
                                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Working...
                                          X