X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial

cooler master(hipro)
    looks decent for a cheap psu.i would rather not see ost in anything though.panasonic inputs and teapo on the output exept for 2 ost.
    look at the input filtering.
    this unit is heavy.and no pfc choke to account for the weight.
    Attached Files

Comment

My new power supply. Enermax ELT620AWT 620 watt. I hope it lasts.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mutant
        My new power supply. Enermax ELT620AWT 620 watt. I hope it lasts.
        Welcome mutant!

I'm sure it will last - I've always found the Enermax units to be reasonably powerful, very well-made and solidly-built. Another bonus is that the insides are always so "neat", with all components relatively accessible for measurements or troubleshooting.

Comparing it, (at first glance) with my 480W Enermax 'Coolergiant', I can easily see that the heatsinks on yours are are probably twice as wide (maybe even more so in the case of the sink on the output diodes). Your input toroid and main transformer also appear to be more massive.
        Last edited by tiresias; 04-04-2006, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Hmm, a Primary Hitachi capacitor, just as usual...

But like tiresias said the secondary caps looks "different" (for an Enermax that is) Jackcon maybe?

Anyway, I've seen a few Enermax units 5 years old, still going strong with no bulging caps despite not using any good caps really... I think the nice layout and airflow in them helps allot... (have we ever seen a bad Enermax PSU here on badcaps btw?)
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by tiresias
            Welcome mutant!

I'm sure it will last - I've always found the Enermax units to be reasonably powerful, very well-made and solidly-built. Another bonus is that the insides are always so "neat", with all components relatively accessible for measurements or troubleshooting.

Comparing it, (at first glance) with my 480W Enermax 'Coolergiant', I can easily see that the heatsinks on yours are are probably twice as wide (maybe even more so in the case of the sink on the output diodes). Your input toroid and main transformer also appear to be more massive.
            I do like this Enermax and hope it is money well spent. It's the most expensive power supply I've ever bought at $159 us. It's replacing a 400 watt that became unstable because I overloaded it
            3 capacitors leaked and I replaced them thanks to the info of this site

I'm new to learning about capacitors. I have learned more on this website and forums about capacitors than anyplace else. It's a great resource.

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            Hmm, a Primary Hitachi capacitor, just as usual...

But like tiresias said the secondary caps looks "different" (for an Enermax that is) Jackcon maybe?

Anyway, I've seen a few Enermax units 5 years old, still going strong with no bulging caps despite not using any good caps really... I think the nice layout and airflow in them helps allot... (have we ever seen a bad Enermax PSU here on badcaps btw?)
            Yes I still have an old Enermax thats about 5 years old too.
            So is Hitachi not ideal to have?

Well thanks for everyones comments.
            Attached Files

Comment

i did replace a hitachi cap recently.it was 20+ years old in an oven of a motor drive.
              btw all the epoxy sealed panasonics were open too.
              the hitachi was a 2700@450v beercan.
              fanuc used good parts but when something runs hot enough that the mill operators warmed their lunch in the cabinet failures can be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by mutant
                So is Hitachi not ideal to have?
                Hitachi is very good
                Originally posted by kc8adu
                fanuc used good parts but when something runs hot enough that the mill operators warmed their lunch in the cabinet failures can be expected.
                LOL! Gotta remeber to take a pic of the caps in my tubelaser machine at work... Adige LT702D
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Power supply found inside a Neo brand model N525U2-BK-LT external USB2 drive enclosure I bought from DealSonic. The high voltage side uses an FQPF 5N60C MOSFET. I forgot the capacitor brands:

Attached Files
                  Last edited by willawake; 05-02-2006, 11:57 AM.

Comment

An Austin '250w' AT supply, L&C built, model LC-200C. The "Hyena" AT is very similar.

From a K6 machine I got free a while back. All the capacitors are "Viva" brand.
                    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

DVE (Dee Van Electronics) DVS-1454P from 1996, Rubycon USP 470uF 200V primary units, CapXon KM series (2200uF 16V before output inductor on +12V, 1000uF 16V after output inductor on +12V, 3300uF 6.3V after output inductor on +5V, 1000uF on -12V rail ) with one "WC" brand (HL series) 6800uF 6.3V unit before output inductor on +5V, as well as a couple of low-value Jamicons.
                      Primary switching transistors are 2SC2625.
                      Attached Files
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Brand new as of 4/25/06 PC Power & Cooling Silencer 360 ATX

this is mine, bought for personal use, its a piece of junk. I think I damn near melted it and it shut off.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Cisco 827 Power Adapter Model ADP-20JB. +5v: 3.0A, -24v: 0.05A -71v: 0.06A Max 20W. Has Delta Electronics written all over it. Uses a Primary bulk cap from Rubycon, MXW 400v 56uF. Some smaller Rubycon YXF caps and 10v 1000uF United Chemi Con LXJ caps for the output side (and some smaller KMF) Without doubt the most well built power adapter I have ever seen, it also has a thermal protection circuit in the form of a thermistor connected to the main transformer... The Cisco 827 ADSL modem itself does not have a single capacitor inside of it...

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-17-2016, 05:35 AM. Reason: broken links

Comment

Fortron Bluestorm 400w - FSP400-60THN-P

the primary caps are teapo, the rest are teapo, ost, capxon. the fan is usual protechnic for the bluestorm series. i like these psu they are very nice to show to clients, all the bling and inside not BS. prices 55 euro for the 350w which is nice and what i usually get for them, and 79 for the 400w. but if you need 20 pin atx then bluestorm 20+4 pin is the way to go for nice psus. actually i have problems to find good 20 pin psus at the moment, everything is either crap or 24 pin. adapters suck, they are so bulky impossible to cable tidy nice......

the primary caps are 1000uf 200v instead of 820uf on the 350w.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by willawake; 05-14-2006, 03:11 PM.
                            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Enhance SFX-1209F 90w ATX PSU

This is out of the MSI SlimPC series of machines. It is ATX spec, but in a small formfactor. For a sense of the size, look at the power cord plug compared to the size of the rest of the chassis. Teapo main caps, a mix of Teapo and Jamicon on the output side.

Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I won't name any names like G-Y but I heard a little birdy say that there were some pervs in this here forum that likes to view pics of nekkid power supplies, so without further ado here are some pictures for your fwapping pleasure!

First picture shows the setup. We have 8 beautiful models for today's pictorial. I'm your photographer Zap D. Bone. The camera is a 5MP Kodak on a tripod because one hand may be busy at times. My lovely assistant Miss Postal Scale (and her MIA friend Mr Ruler) will help with some of the vital specs of the models. We also have two assistants, Right Light and Left Light, also known as righty and lefty. Bulbs are "natural light" flourescent, which really suck at lighting up a room but seems to be better for pictures.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Our first lovely PSU is an Apollo unit that is perhaps made by HEC. She's the most petite of the bunch but isn't shy about undressing for the camera. Her vitals are:

HEC-200FC-T
                                  16.7/21/10 (amps on 3.3/5/12)
                                  3.3+5= 110W
                                  200W total
                                  1x 20 pin
                                  1x 4 pin +12v
                                  1x FDD
                                  4X molex
                                  1x single row 6 pin???
                                  10cm deep
                                  2 pounds, 2 ounces
                                  single 80x25mm fan labeled "HEC sleeve bearing"
                                  2 screws to disassemble, no warranty stickers
                                  big caps say LTEC, some others say CapXon
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Next up is Big Sis, a HEC Orion. Can you believe that she's a virgin? I took her right out of her shrinkwrapped box and popped her warranty stickers - once you pop you can't stop! Her vitals are:

HP585D
                                    36/36/19/20 (amps 3.3/5/12v1/12v2)
                                    585W max
                                    1x 20+4 pin
                                    1x 4 pin +12v
                                    1x SATA
                                    1x PCI-E
                                    2x FDD
                                    6x molex
                                    16cm deep
                                    3 pounds, 2 ounces
                                    two 80x25mm fans with stickers saying "Ruilian Science & Technology"
                                    5 screws to undress her, two covered by stickers
                                    big caps say CapXon, smaller caps say Teapo
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Our next gal is the svelte Fortron unit. She's trim and "green" but works out so there's more to her than meets the eye... I think. Her vitals:

FSP400-60GLN
                                      30/30/14/15 (amps 3.3/5/12v1/12v2)
                                      3.3+5= 152W
                                      400W total
                                      1x 20+4 pin
                                      1x +12v
                                      1x PCI-E
                                      1x FDD
                                      2x SATA
                                      6x molex
                                      14cm deep
                                      3 pounds, 11 ounces
                                      4 screws to undress, no warranty sticker
                                      120x25mm "Yate Loon brushless" fan
                                      all caps seem to be CapXon
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Next up are another pair of siblings and a cousin (the family that sleeps together stays together, ya know). We have the younger sister, the Antec True330 with the following vital stats:

True330
                                        28/30/17 (amps 3.3/5/12)
                                        3.3+5+12= 310W total
                                        1x 20 pin
                                        1x +12v
                                        1x inline 6 pin???
                                        1x fan RPM
                                        2x "fan only" molex
                                        7x molex
                                        2x FDD
                                        14cm deep
                                        4 pounds, 3 ounces
                                        80x25mm and 92x25mm clear "Top Motor" fans
                                        4 screws, one covered by a sticker
                                        caps?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Zap. Would it be too much to give the rating/spec on the caps? Plz.
                                          There is a 10 minuet time limit for editing here.

Dang! Set the beer down and step away from the camera. j/k

Comment

Working...
                                          X