ECS random bios crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECS random bios crash

I was on my old computer with a old ECS elitegroup RS482-M754. I left it running over night, just fine when i left it. I turned on the monitor in the morning, and it was only showing the splash screen. So i waited, and waited. Did nothing. I restarted it, and it did nothing, then restarted it and got into the bios. Some reason it wasen't detecting the hard drive or cd/dvd drive. I made it manually detect the hard drive, but it would sit there, and still not detect it. It would detect the cd drive though. I shut down the computer, and reset the bios jumper on the motherboard. Suddenly it works.

Now, I've had this problem once in the past. I'm just going to chalk it up to ECS's unique build quality. What do you guys think?

Re: ECS random bios crash

That's usually the PSU fault, when it can't provide the power required.

Comment

But it worked when i reset the bios. Wouldn't do anything until i reset the bios. The hard drive was running.

Comment

I don't really know what's the reason behind the failure. Some ideas:
        - I've read somewhere that some pcchips / ECS motherboards (IIRC it was the m825 or m810 motherboards) don't like low CR2032 batteries.
        - Some custom BIOSes autodetect hardware modifications at boot time, and write them to the CMOS. If the PSU is failing and doesn't show up t POST, the CMOS gets changed accordingly. This also makes CMOS corruption more probable.
        - I usually avoid connecting an slave device to the main hard disk. If the slave starts to fail, it makes recognition of the master harder.

Comment

a low battery could be the cause of this sort of corruption.
          if its right at the voltage the sram starts dropping bits at all sorts of random errors can occur.

Comment

Working...
          X