CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD - bad caps + ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD - bad caps + ??

CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD displayed fault code F03, indicating a failure of the charging circuit. Batteries were run down to 8.5 volts, they are known good used batteries that work fine in another UPS. The batteries charged back up to ~12.8 volts just fine outside the UPS, using my car battery charger.

I opened up the case to get a look at the board, and found at one cap clearly blown out. Looks like the glue at the base of the cap aged and become conductive? There's more of the same glue in other spots. I plan to clean all that off, and then replace all the electrolytic caps.

What else should I test?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Maxbumpo; 09-07-2019, 08:10 PM.

Re: CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD - bad caps + ??

Here are a couple other pics.

I tried to remove the push-on connectors for the heavy wires from the transformer and the back cover, but they are fighting me. Any special trick to getting those off? I tried using a pliers on one, and was worried that if I pulled too hard I would damage the board or the wire/connector.
    Attached Files

Comment

the male spade connectors can have a lock on them, and you need to push it in to release the connector. This lock lever is large, they are usually small and hard to see but work the same way.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by R_J; 09-07-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks RJ, I'll see if I can find the release. Ran into those on a microwave a couple years ago, was suspecting these might be similar.

Comment

In your first photo, it looks like an SMD diode (i think that's what it is) next to one of the capacitors blew its guts, the skidmark on the capacitor next to it would also indicate this.
          Attached Files
          I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            the male spade connectors can have a lock on them, and you need to push it in to release the connector. This lock lever is large, they are usually small and hard to see but work the same way.
            Well the spade connectors are covered with heat shrink tape, so should I cut that off?

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
              In your first photo, it looks like an SMD diode (i think that's what it is) next to one of the capacitors blew its guts, the skidmark on the capacitor next to it would also indicate this.
              Thanks Ruky, I'll check that out.

Comment

Any luck in fixing this issue or any updates? I have a similar UPS with the same issue, immediate F03 error after powering it on.
                Haven't opened mine up yet to have a look, but after some googling this thread is the closest thing i've come across in trying to fix the issue.

Comment

CyberPower 1500 AVR here, approx 2010 vintage. Unit shutdown with a slight crack and ARC flash caught out of corner of my eye as I happened to be in the same room when it happened. Took it apart last night and the issues resemble OP issue, as well as two other Cyberpower repair threads I found on this forum. In all cases it seems that the cap next to the Viper chip got cooked / dried-out / & was failed. The Viper chip had to work harder and harder as a result, eventually shorting through the faulty glue. The capacitor (C3 I think) appears to have gotten so hot it melted a spot on its plastic wrapper.

I will replace ‘Lytics and test nearby passives. Will also check the (glass?) board fuse with the black shrink wrap on it. And I assume the Viper 22A chip will need replacing. If I get it working I'll also add a small heatsink to the STM Viper chip, and possibly wire the fame to run continuously at a slow (reduced voltage) speed. That's assuming it doesn't run continuously already - I don't actually know.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ttbloke; 03-11-2020, 04:57 PM. Reason: adding one more close up photo of shorted glue

Comment

This is what I would recommend doing if I were troubleshooting this switching power supply

Here is what you need to do when you replace these parts put a 100 watt incandescent bulb in series ( instead of the main fuse if need be remove it ) if the light bulb is very bright and does not dim down to at least 45% or more then you could still have problems with this power supply
                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-11-2020, 07:28 PM.
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply
                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Great tip, thank you. Will definitely do this !

Comment

I would recommend you also try a 200 watt bulb as well if your light bulb is real bright and the power supply try to powering up but the 200 watt bulb does not give you as much current protection as a 100 watt bulb does so be aware of this
                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-12-2020, 03:34 AM.
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                        X