Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 03:19 AM   #1
xbdwk

City & State: CA
My Country: US
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Modifying Laptop PSU 19.5V to 24.0V

I have a 19.5V 11.8A 230W laptop/touchscreen desktop PSU. It's for HP machines but is branded Bestec, and seems to be the same one as Dell PA-19.

I'd like to use it for a project that requires 24.0V, so I'd like to modify the PSU's voltage divider according to https://polonai.se/smps/tosh/ and https://hackaday.io/project/3469-mod...k-power-supply

The output caps are rated at 25V, so I'll be close, but not over their limit.

I've identified the opamp/comparator and voltage reference as ST's TSM103 in red, and pin 2 is the inverting input and pin 3 is the 2.5V reference. I don't have a variable PSU with me right now, so I can't identify when the optocouplers turn off and the voltage divider to the output voltage.

1. Can someone help me identifying the voltage divider?

2. The PSU has two optocouplers separating mains from the secondary. Why two, not one?

3. There's a 50k trimpot in the area highlighted in yellow on the other side of the board. I've tweaked it, and the output voltage is constant at exactly 20.00V, regardless of the trimpot position. Since it's not affecting voltage, could it be used to set the OCP current limit?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HP PSU Marked.jpg (818.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg TSM103 Pinout.JPG (31.7 KB, 13 views)
xbdwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
cpt.charlie
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Torrelavega
My Country: Spain
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Modifying Laptop PSU 19.5V to 24.0V

One optocoupler is for controlling the voltage, and maybe the other is used for overcurrent protection (the trimpot is likely part of the OCP circuit), if you need to locate the voltage divider, start looking for the voltage reference (normally TL341) in a sot23 package.
cpt.charlie is offline   Reply With Quote