Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsair AX850 low 12v and 5v voltage with random reboots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corsair AX850 low 12v and 5v voltage with random reboots.

you could have used the 9v battery from the centec

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      you could have used the 9v battery from the centec
      LoL true true but why go through the hassle of getting out a screw driver and all that for some simple voltages? I was just checking to see i I was not getting the right voltages under load. Now had I been doing something more than that yes I would of went through the hassle 😂 I cannot believe this PSU is like 10 years old and is still pumping. The only reason I think that cap even started leaking was because of the one time it got pretty hot. Either that or maybe it did just get old. However, everything else looks to be in superb condition for the age.

Comment

Congrats on the fix, Psychedelic!

Where was the faulty cap located and what kind of cap was it? SMD? Through-hole? Just curious to see if this could be some kind of wide-spread failure or just a "one-off" case.

Originally posted by stj View Post
        it's even more impressive that you did it with a Harbor Freight / CENTEC meter!!
        I know, right.
        I have (and use) a number of these myself. They can get the job done. But I know their flaws. For anyone that doesn't have experience in troubleshooting, though, these can be pretty horrible multimeters. It mostly has to do with bad contacts on the rotary dial making the multimeter either not read values properly or show bogus numbers. I have experienced this in resistance, current, and voltage modes. But like I said, I know their flaws and know how to "zero" them out before use, so they still get use despite being limp d***s.

Originally posted by Psychedelic View Post
        LoL true true but why go through the hassle of getting out a screw driver and all that for some simple voltages? I was just checking to see i I was not getting the right voltages under load.
        Well, that's assuming these CenTechs will measure the voltage correctly. I mean, they usually do... but sometimes they don't. Like I mentioned above, they are pretty low quality and have problems with the contacts in the rotary dial. So when using yours, just always make sure to double-check it's working properly every time. For resistance, select the lowest resistance setting (200 Ohms) and touch both probes together. Depending on how good (or bad) your dial contacts are, you should get 2 Ohms or less (preferably 0.9 or less, but not many of these can go that low due to being crap.) For DC voltage, I use a known-good CR2032 battery or 1.5V AA battery and make sure the voltage reads correctly. After that, I'll use the meter to measure voltage of whatever I'm troubleshooting. I've had issues in the past where the voltage reading would have a drift and either read higher or lower until the dial was rotated around a few times (which sort of "cleans" the contacts.) Same with current measuring mode.

Originally posted by Psychedelic View Post
        Awesome thanks for your help. Do you know a reputable place I can get a variety of good caps?
        In the US: Digikey, Mouser, badcaps.net/store (yup, this place has a store too )... and maybe a few other select places. But I definitely suggest to avoid Amazon. eBay is also quite full of counterfeit capacitors... but sometimes good deals can be found on new-old stock (NOS) components from sellers that do these kind of liquidations. AliExpress is also pretty hit-n-miss in regards to counterfeits (probably more "miss", though.)
        Last edited by momaka; 02-25-2021, 12:25 AM.

Comment

So could the capacitor in question be revealed? Where is it located? I just got same unit I want to get fixed with possibly same faulty cap. This could save a lot of hassle so please!

Comment

Originally posted by yjn View Post
            So could the capacitor in question be revealed? Where is it located? I just got same unit I want to get fixed with possibly same faulty cap. This could save a lot of hassle so please!
            Just replace any capacitor that is less than 100uf to be on the safe side
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
            X