Quality solder iron tips and Kapton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality solder iron tips and Kapton ?

Hello, I have a solder iron pen (50w) with tips « 900m » (hollows ones, standard). I'm searching to replace mines because it's impossible to tin, they remain black and impossible to unsolder a mini SMD capacitor with. Bad ones.

I'm looking to replace the iron tips but, on Amazon, Ebay… all no names, the sames. Sold by 10, 15 or more at low price and « pro » websites only one Hakko tips sold 20 dollars. I'm lost.
    Do you have brand of qually tips pls ?

Same question for Kapton (for my other hot air iron), do you have brand or good place to buy, the true please? (I'm from Europe, France).
    Have you found something else to replace Kapton pls ? I saw aluminium ?
    Maybe silicone cover ? Like ones used for cooking ?

Re: Quality solder iron tips and Kapton ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946173316.html

Comment

Personally I'd nudge that iron in to the bin and upgrade to one that takes T12 tips.

Comment

Thanks for the link, I have already worked with pro tools and solder irons (Weller) in industrial electronic labo long time ago. Tips was always easy to clean, brilliants, tinning was easy. But these actuals tips I have, are not possible to clean and it's been the same from the start that I bought them. I remember another tip on this iron, the first sold with it, it was easiest to clean and good for soldering (not SMD at this moment).

So, I'm pretty sure these current tips are impossible to clean. They are juste bads, offered with solder if I remember.

Yes, I thinks too to replace this soldering iron could be a good idea, at least for find best tips. However, it is not bad, it has regulator, 50w. I want to use it only for fast desolder and solder smd caps or resistors (laptops). it can make the job I guess ? I would to try with a new tips before replace it.

I dont know the T12 tips (and irons). What's are benefits pls ? These tips are very long, probably long to heating ? But better thermal inertia I guess ?

Comment

The benefit of T12 tips is the heating element is in the tip, there is no air gap between element and tip, so better thermal inertia as you state but quicker to heat up.

Comment

No name kapton off ali is fine. I use it all the time, I don't think I have ever had the real stuff.

I'm also interested in getting some tips for my hakko 888d (900m style). I have seen some "lead free tips" that might be decent, but I have also bought some ebay tips that are just terrible. I might just take a gamble.

Comment

FX-888 tips have a slightly smaller hole by a few thou, tighter gap to the heater, than the 900 style. Although they fit, I would say don't mix them up.
              I put 900 tips on a 888 (genuine Hakko) by mistake and it worked terrible.

chinese tips have very little copper, crappy plating and sloppy tolerances, so I don't consider them to be worth the hassle.

Comment

I just found old tip, the first one sold with my (pen) iron. The color stayed metal while chineses new ones (1 month) tips are full black by oxidation. It's juste low cost metal, not for solder iron.
                I don't think to replace the iron will solve the problem to finding the quality metal for tips.

It's true, the 900m has bad design, but that can be solved by a thin copper sheet between heat element and tip. The benefit of 900m is the wide standard, so the price of tips wich should be low.

For the Kapton, I found a Ytb french video which test chinese false Kapton vs Kapton, we could see the Kapton staying good under hot air (460C, 860F) while chinese one retracts. I bought the chinese one and it retracts too, it's unusefull.
                I ordered the same of this video (5 dollar/33meter-12mm), I will test it soon and feedback here. (But this shop seems send only in France). Probably not the true Kapton too, but one best than chinese could be enought for me.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                  FX-888 tips have a slightly smaller hole by a few thou, tighter gap to the heater, than the 900 style
                  Yeah, good point, this was probably my issue. I found a place that seems to specialize in iron tips and makes tips specific to the T18 series. Most others say they work for both 900M and t18.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001204730953.html

Originally posted by corrize View Post
                  It's true, the 900m has bad design, but that can be solved by a thin copper sheet between heat element and tip. The benefit of 900m is the wide standard, so the price of tips wich should be low.
                  I wouldn't say it's a bad design, it's just different. If I really wanted to use 900m tips, I'd probably just buy a 900m iron and rewire it to attach to my 888D. Messing with copper sheets sounds like a huge pain.

Comment

but when you can get T12 cartridges for 3-4€ why bother with 888 or 900m?
                    and lets not forget that the T12 is hakko's pro line - so brand loyalty is preserved!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      but when you can get T12 cartridges for 3-4€ why bother with 888 or 900m?
                      and lets not forget that the T12 is hakko's pro line - so brand loyalty is preserved!
                      I had never considered it, but I might be able to swap the handle to a t12 one. I wonder if the wattages are similar.

Comment

I just saw Aliexpress sell T12 tips and there is T12 pen solder iron too (50w). So the problem is the same. If I buy T12 tips at 2-4 euro, it's probably the same metal than 900m ones ? And if I buy at well know Electronics shops, branded ones cost 20 euro. There is probably something between ?

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                          I had never considered it, but I might be able to swap the handle to a t12 one. I wonder if the wattages are similar.
                          T12 is about 65w but the drive circuit is different - you cant swap irons
                          the 888/900m have a seperate sensor and the T12 has it in series with the element.

Comment

Originally posted by corrize View Post
                            I just saw Aliexpress sell T12 tips and there is T12 pen solder iron too (50w). So the problem is the same. If I buy T12 tips at 2-4 euro, it's probably the same metal than 900m ones ? And if I buy at well know Electronics shops, branded ones cost 20 euro. There is probably something between ?
                            the T12 tips on ali are fine - i use them every day.
                            specially the branded ones from quick or ksger

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              the T12 tips on ali are fine - i use them every day.
                              specially the branded ones from quick or ksger
                              I keep thinking about a kgser one. Maybe I'll get one. The hakko just keeps going strong though.

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger on those tips. I'll report back when they get here. Might be a while though.

Comment

Me too, soon. Last week I bought « Amazon first choice » 900m tips. Deutch sticker on the pocket, but in use, just chineses ones. The same I bought before. They was a little bit best but finaly, unable to tin them. I finished to solder with the best one : my old first tip delivered with my 900m soldering iron (branded… Amazon !)
                                  I will send back to Amazon and buy T12 solder iron.

I have question about T12 pls ? I saw thin handle and normal handle, what is the best for SMD pls ? And the shape of tips, what do you use ?

I received the kapton, it’s good. I dont used hot air yet but with soldering iron, i touch it and it dont move while the other (chinese one) was holed.

Comment

what temperature are you using the tips at?

Comment

Iron was at 280C (526F) and 350C (660F).
                                      U can see the same in video on Ytb. Search ; « cyrob kapton ». At 5:00 he say the hot air is 450C (842F).

I bought the same at same vendor. This is what I expected from Kapton..

I have another question about solder. I have bad one. It is pasty and hang other components. I will try the brand « mechanic », it seems good. But i saw the « solder paste » and it seems easyest for solder little smd (0402) without putting traces of solder on the components. Do u use it?

Comment

I mostly use hot air for component removal. Solder paste is a bit messy, if I can, I'd rather place components and use an iron. It's very, very easy to put too much paste down. A plate to preheat the board really helps with hot air, I need to buy/make one.

Mechanics solder paste has been ok for me, but I don't have anything to compare to. I have the Pb 63% IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X