Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U "1/3 Screen Blank"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U "1/3 Screen Blank"

Hi, New to the forum here, was hoping to get a bit of insight to an issue with a TV I was given. I received it in this condition, so I don't really know the backstory in detail.

It is a Sharp Aquos LCD85U. It powers up fine, but one third of the screen is "blank". Not dim, just missing like somebody drew a straight edge across the screen and magically turned that zone off. It also has, about a half inch apart, from top to bottom, faint ghost lines going across it, sort of like a spiral pad notebook, which is hard to see in the pictures below.

I believe it is a cable or a circuit board to blame, because the backlights are visible through the case openings from the back across the whole TV, and a light touch from your finger on the LCD screen itself(I'm sure this is a big no-no for the gurus here) will make the screen go "colorful" for a lack of a better word, across the entire panel, regardless of area, and consistently. There are no visible cracks or shatters in the panel either.

So far, here is what I've done to attempt to resolve the issue.

- Verified that it happens on all inputs.
    - Verified that the system menu has the same problem (indicating problem with the set itself)
    - Reseated all cables and connectors that I could find.
    - Looked for leaking capacitors. (found none)
    - Looked/sniffed for burnt components. (found none)
    - Replaced the T-Conn board with one I bought from an online retailer, which came in a sealed static bag, with a "inspection and properly working" tag. It was the exact board, down to the revision number.

I was really hoping the T-Conn board would fix it, but it did not.

From here, I'm not positive which way to go, as tv repair isn't my strong point. The two wide ribbon cables, exiting the T-Conn board, are what I'm thinking. At a glance they look the same, but they do have different part numbers. My thought process is if they are physically the same, and they were the problem, it would move the problem to the other side of the screen, indicating I need to replace them...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Sharp Aquos LC-52D85U "1/3 Screen Blank"

I've did some searching on this forum... and tab bonding seems to be a very plausible solution to my issue. I think I'll look into that as well... anyways, still open to ideas!

Thanks again!

Comment

I was working on an LC-52XL2E a few months back, it's reasonably similar to this model, European but quite similar inside. I had the panel apart to check the bulbs. When I put the display back together I damaged one of the ribbon cables linking the thirds of the display. The result was a blank 1/3rd of the display. Thankfully I had a scrap set to get a matching cable from. Perhaps the cable is damaged or mis-seated on your set.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi tom66, thanks for the reply.

Which cables exactly are you referring to, the ones labeled "M05xxx"?

If so, those are the ones I was planning on swapping side to side, and they've both been re-seated at both ends of the cable. Do you know if they are interchangeable left to right, in order to see if the problem migrates? I know I can verify by looking at the pinout, and inspecting the traces, but I just want to be sure, in case I'm not in the know about "why not" to do it.

Thanks again!

Comment

I can confirm on my set they were interchangeable. Mine, however, had ribbons on TOP and BOTTOM of the panel, with each ribbon area responsible for 1/3rd of top or bottom of the panel. Sorry for not mentioning that; maybe your fault is different?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Skeeveman,

Were u able to resolve the issue. I have same TV and same issue and on top of it, I burned ribbon cable of TCON board.

Comment

Working...
            X