Dead solder iron heating elements...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead solder iron heating elements...

How many solder iron heating elements have you had to replace already?

Does it happen often?

I had to replace both solder/desolder heating elements in my rework station once already. The vacuum pump desolder heating element costed $ARM $LEG as it was out of production for a long time (probably should have replaced the whole rework station).

I suspect if the number replaced is low, then the frequency is low... maybe my options will not bellcurve out...

Remember this is the heating element, and ... well, to make things simple, do not include direct heat solder irons (i.e. solder guns like Weller 8200s where the tip is the heating element and do require to be replaced frequently.)
    Never - I've never had a soldering iron die
    0%
    1 - just once
    0%
    2-3 - a few
    0%
    4-9 - a few more
    0%
    10+ - I eat these things.
    0%

The poll is expired.

Re: Dead solder iron heating elements...

ive gone through 2. One failed open. I put that one across a MOT to see what it would do (don't do that) and the other failed shorted and blew sparks...
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Re: Dead solder iron heating elements...

I wonder if people aren't voting because it'll jinx them... haha
      Yes I made this limited time as it should be a snapshot and as time go on, I'm sure people will have irons die on them... and yes they would normally fail open...

I would suspect the contacts to the copper wiring would be where it'd be the weakest but it wasn't so easy to reconnect the wires. My desolder iron heating element failed inside the welded chamber...

Comment

Working...
      X