Soldering iron recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldering iron recommendations?

Weller brand is preferred, have soldered with a Weller iron before on a PCB. Also, any tips for lefties would be appreciated as I am one. Thanks in advance
    The great capacitor showdown!

Re: Soldering iron recommendations?

I've always used a Weller SP-23 25w soldering iron (no, I don't know why the model number is 23 but the power rating is 25w). I personally prefer the conical tip; it lets you get right into the holes to keep the solder hot when removing components. This iron has a round handle, not a fitted one, so it can be used equally well by right-handed or left-handed people. I should know; I was born left-handed, but my parents converted me to right, and I still occasionally do things left-handed including, when necessary, soldering. I like the power of a 25w iron; enough to get the joint warm and keep it that way, but not enough to really overheat anything, as long as you're careful.
    Last edited by AK0R; 11-16-2005, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks AK0R, how much does the SP-23 cost?
      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

I've seen it with tips for less than $12. I just bought some replacement tips from Knight http://www.knightonline.com/solder1.htm. They also have Ungar gear. A search on Yahoo (+SP-23 +solder) yielded 135,000 hits. You'll find someone that has what you want.

Comment

Working...
        X