This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - Hello everyone...

Huge bummer, I typed a long introduction and submitted but it logged me out. No copy when hitting back either (darn Safari). I've since clicked the remember me button but still GRRRR! Forgot that I'm not a regular here already.

Basically, I've used this site as a reference for a number of years. First when dealing with Dell 270s & 280s and then later in dealing with problems encountered with name brand motherboards in home built system.

Yesterday, I awoke suddenly (it wasn't quite clear whether it was the smoke pouring out or the assumed ?pop? from the ?capacitor? I found rolling around once I had time to open the PSU's case) but basically it scared the .... out of me waking up that way. The PSU was an Antec Smart Power 400. I had read problem posts about it some time back, but I mistakenly thought it was that the PSU wasn't up to providing enough power for a heavily loaded system ie it failing in heavy stress / torture tests, so my (goat) thinking was well I'm only going to be using it in a very lightly used HTPC / test bed system drawing maybe 120 watts; and used sporadically.

Usually when I don't use it for an extended period of time I unplug it, but it had been plugged in for a few weeks without being run... I'm not happy that it happened but I'm glad that #1 I was home and #2 my UPS shut it down due to an overload? I'm not sure if it had been plugged into the wall if it would have tripped a circuit breaker or just kept going?

My gut brain was telling me it could have been going bad for some time. That PC started having random BSOD. I when I had time I would try, different RAM, graphics card, HD, Optical drives, mice & keyboards, KVM... etc. Things would seem to be fine & then bang. I was confused and after looking at the reported voltages I really thought it must be the MOBO. I even ordered a replacement but hadn't had time to put it in. (maybe that's a good thing) if it turns out ---> though I hope against hope that since the unit wasn't on, that it didn't take out the MOBO, RAM, etc...

Anyway I wanted to see some pictures and images posted so it's time to join!

Comment

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Well, hello to everyone from mrfixit01. I started using that handle when I first signed on to AOL in 1995 or '6. I've fixed (or screwed up) just about everything there is on the planet. If I can't fix it I'll make sure it never works again! Electronics has always been my hobby ever since I could work a screwdriver and soldering iron! I just recently fixed a flat panel for my son and started working on another lcd tv. Scott at LCDalternatives referred me to your site. Hopefully I can find out how to fix this new challenge. Watch out here come more questions...B

Comment

Hi,
        I've been working with and repairing computers for 14 years. I like Mac computers and that is how I found this forum. My power supply for my MDD will not start up my mac. I am here trying to learn and to learn my about electronics. So if I ask a dum question its because I am trying to learn. So I'll be asking alot of questions. Any help would be greatly appericated. I've have sent my AcBel power supply to the shop and they said that it was working fine. Before I pulled the power supply out it wouldn't start up my MDD. We had a power blink and it was the only computer that didn't turn back on. But the shop checked it out and said that all of the power out was correct. What do you all think about if I should rebuild the power supply or could it be in something else. Never had any problem before with a power blink. Thanks

Comment

Hello ALL!

I'm a new member to this forum, found you all as I was searching for help on an LCD TV I'll be fixing. I saw the help a fellow member got on his same unit and knew I had to join this forum.

I am a slot technician buy trade for the last 8 years and an avid overclocker, like to build my own computers in my spare time. I look forward to meeting and learning from you all and maybe even giving some help where I can.

I have no formal schooling except the school of hard knocks, I started building computers as gambling my hard earned money away didn't prove as much fun.
          Nice to meet you all!
          X99 5930K
          X99-gaming 9
          EVGA 1080 Vanilla
          Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
          SSD'S
          Corsair AX1200

Comment

Hey there Cheese Steak - no worries on posting in the wrong section earlier. Glad you and all the other recent folks have joined the forums
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Thanks DOOD!

You in PA, i worked there for a lil while in Harrisburg for G-Tech at the main office. Setting up SAS601 testing for state software, miss that job!
              X99 5930K
              X99-gaming 9
              EVGA 1080 Vanilla
              Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
              SSD'S
              Corsair AX1200

Comment

Greetings to all. I'm a semi retired elec. tech with @ 45 yrs experience in working with all kind of electronics. I've worked with computer related equipment since 1984. I have a Dell Dimension 5150 (E510) and that *^%$# machine and Google has led me here!

Comment

Hello, I joined up because I am working on some UPS modding and was lured by the discussions and pics in some of the threads on here. I registered to see the pics, and now that I'm here I might stick around seeing the bigger picture. I do remember that fateful year around 2001 when one by one many motherboards started to fail, and I ended up replacing a ton of those pesky capacitors.

I am a long time computer and electronics enthusiast, and like many here my first machine was a C64/128 (combo). I've built many of my own PCs since then, and built my career around computer, network, and application security.

~Mike

Comment

Hiya all. My name is grace. I am an installer of Photovoltaics for european based company.
                    I have a keen interest in electronics within the renewable technologies and like to do all my own appliance repairs. I know all you guys are going to help me broaden my knowledge and I look forward to learning within this website.
                    Grace

Comment

Hey guys. I was looking up some things on google and came across this site. I am trying to fix my HP lcd monitor that went bad on me. So far I changed all the caps that I thought could be bad, but that didn't fix the problem. I am going to post a pic and see if you guys can point me in the right direction. I am very new to electronics, but I hope to learn a lot from you.

Comment

Hi, I tried to fix my BenQ FP91G+ and Google linked me to this site. As a technician, I am insterested to know more fixes.

Comment

Hello to everyone! Just joined. I am retired and like hacking into various pieces of technology I have lying around the house. At present, I am recapping an emachines motherboard. Ten caps were removed and I am now fixing a solder bridge that I created in the removal process! Thanks for letting me join.

Comment

Hello,
                            this forum seems to be a great source of information about PC hardware repairing. A very helpful idea. Thanks.

Comment

skystormfarms hi new here i mainley do repairs to 110&240 V STUFF i do make lo voltage stuff from time to time and i repair old stuff i do want to learn to make lo voltage stuff so please accept me my real name is skylar

Comment

Firstly,as a new member I would like to say hi to all members.I found my way to this forum while looking for info on an lcd monitor repair.I got a lot of information from the posts I read, and I am hoping I can give as much as I get.
                                Thanks
                                deltagulf.

Comment

Greetings.

I speak several languages, including SQL.

Comment

Hello

Im Pavithra. Im new member to this forum.
                                    Im from Sri Lanka.

Comment

Hello to all!

I have a very diverse background, but as with most of the members here, I have tinkered all my life with anything electronic. My formal background is a B.S. in EE and CSE with a minor in Organic Chemistry. I have been a professional in the IT industry since 1984 when I started working while attending college. My standing comment is "If I am on-site and it breaks, come see me because it's probably my fault or I know something about it." I'm glad to have found badcaps.net (darn near impossible to miss if you search on a monitor/display issue) and glad to see the free exchange of good information. I hope I can be an asset to the group as I have already put information from the forums to good use in the past.

Thanks for being here!
                                      -=<{Wherever you go, there you are!}>=-

Comment

Hello,
                                        New member here.... I'm very impressed with the level of help everyone gives... I happen to find this forum through Google the other day. I love it....

Paul H.
                                        Columbia,SC
                                        USA

Comment

Hi Guys,My Name is Harry Dillon and I live in Cherry Hill, New Jersey,USA

I'am 80 Year old guy.Who did work for RCA (now called GE) for 35 years as a Test Equipment Maintenance Forman.Retried 20 Years ago.I Have Build and serviced Many computers in the past years.Now I'am Trying to Repair LCD Monitors So I decided to join BADCAPS to learn about Inverter Cicuits used in LCD Monitors Which seems to be the major problem.

Comment

Working...
                                          X