X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi All

I'm a new member and joined because a lot of google searches for info brought me badcaps.

I'm an amateur radio operator and have been since the early 80's.

I hope to have some fun here!

Comment

This is my "hello" to Madcaps.net
      Names: John William, but call me Bill

Started with an Apple Macintosh original in 1984, 128k "hard drive" but soon added an external floppy 400k, then upgraded to 800k and it's all been history, falling forward from there. Retired Methodist P.R. "pastor" - never had a church, but associate appointments, 9 years missionary first in Philippines (5 years) and South Pacific, based in Fiji (3 years).

Inveterate putterer (not golf), I've experimented with software - all the Words (Perfect, Microsoft and others), Photoshop, Pagemaker to InDesign, and others until I retired 1997, couldn't afford all the upgrades.

Working now with a 2009 MacBook Pro, enhanced with 8 GB Memory and 500 GB internal drive - keep physical back-ups on a 2TB external hard drive, had Genius Bar install OS - Yosemite, which screwed up my Apple Mail organization of folders and subfolders...still wondering what to do about that.

Comment

Hello Badcaps and Happy New Year! My name is Alan Kirk and I am just a handy guy looking to repair a TV for my Step-daughter. This forum looked like a good place to start.

Comment

Hello
          Happy new year for all
          My name is Jose, I am not experienced in forums but I found here what I was looking for.
          I hope to learn more and help in repairing area.
          Thank you all.

Comment

Hi there, I'm a newbie that just want to have full access.

Comment

Hello badcaps, joined because google keeps bringing me to badcaps and there is alot of info on this forum.

Comment

Hello all. Joining here because I have two monitors that could potentially be salvaged.

And hoping I can get a motherboard working again. I have a dead mobo that I can do plenty of testing on.

Comment

Hello and A Happy New Year to everyone ! I'm Silviu from Romania. Activated my account for more then a year ago but never got the time to write something in this topic. Keep up the good job you're doing here at badcaps. Thanks a lot !

Comment

Hi. I'm Dave and I have just joined. I repair computers in my spare time (I'm retired so I have lots). I have found this forum to be extremely helpful. Thank you all.

Comment

Hi,

new member in Australia, Blue Mountains inland of Sydney. I have two quite new TVs that have stopped working way too early in their lifespan so I'm trying to figure out why.

Have dabbled in electronics since high school - but that's a long time ago - and I'm hoping that digesting the information on this excellent site will help get me up to date and I can do something about this planned obsolescence that's all around us.

David.

Comment

Hi,

I'm a new member who was brought here by numerous Google searches and decided to finally open an account. Currently reside in Sweden and work as an EE. In my spare time I dabble in electronics, fixing broken stuff and whatnot, thus leading to the Google searches where Badcaps are amongst the hits.

Cheers,
                        Sudd.

Comment

I am a new member also brought here while doing some search on Google. My latest demon is this Altec portable speaker that either has a bad cap or diode maybe as the unit started having just a buzzing sound when I accidentally used the wrong AC/DC power plug. Grrr!

I'm from Wisconsin and am a diesel shop supervisor by trade. I do have some electronics technician schooling as well as low voltage wiring/networking experience.

Have a great day!

Comment

Hi All, new in here, came to find some info on a Yamaha RX-V373 turning itself off from time to time. Hope I can fix it!

FYI, here's what I did a while back!
                            http://iservio.ca/FRD/

Simon

Comment

HELLO - I am new here and need help please

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..

Comment

Originally posted by pennypooh View Post
                                HELLO - I am new here and need help please

I have a toshiba40bv700b tv and cannot access the "source" menu to change from tv to dvd etc - I thought it was my remote control so purchased a new one and I still have the same problem PLEASE HELP the "source" button just wont work on either remote

Comment

Hello everbody!

Trying to fight planned obsolescence and other corners cut by manufacturers! Hope to learn and share information on this forum to make this quest easier for me and others!

Comment

New to this forum. I have worked on electronics for some time now, but haven't really worked on tv's much. Looking for help with my plasma tv. Read a lot of post here and saw good replies to posts for help, which convinced me to join.

Comment

Hi I'm Timmypeeps and yes I'm new. I just need alittle advice with fixing a tv or 2 I am traffic signal technician so this shouldn't be to hard for me to figure out what you guys are talking about. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hello. I have just registered as a new member after reading through a very interesting thread in your great forum regarding a problem with a Crate KX-80 amp (Crate KX-80 Keyboard Amp fuse pops immediately). I found this after Google searching for how to diagnose a problem with my own Crate KX-80 keyboard amplifier that just went on the fritz. Unfortunately the issue described in the above-referenced thread in the forum was not the same as is on mine, however it is the identical model. After many hours of searching the net, this forum may be my best hope of resolving the problem. After my hopeful acceptance in this forum, I will post more details of the problem. Thank you all in advance. rpyka1

Comment

I forgot to give a little more information about myself. I am a mechanical engineer with limited experience in board-level troubleshooting.

Comment

Working...
                                          X