This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Well hello all, in sense I'm new here. I have visited the site many times in the past to have many inquisitive reads from many of the intuitive posts on this forum, and I've finally decided it was time to make my presents felt. Why you may ask? Well the all mighty quest for knowledge of coarse.
    Well a little about myself..., I am from the great state of Iowa. I do dabble in some computer repair and some other basic electronics's repair, self taught of coarse. When I have the time to mess around I do build and have several 1/10th scale nitro and electric RC cars and trucks. I wouldn't mind getting into planes but I'm not sure I'd enjoy taking myself out with one, I"m bad enough with cars already.
    I hope I can steadily increase my knowledge of the inner workings of many things and the theory's behind the workings or all things electrical, in hopes of being able to pass the knowledge down to future knowledge seekers.

Comment

Hi-

I'm Scott, I survived a Phillips 37 LCD repair and now looking up a Magnavox 42 LCD chirping issue. Great site, thanks!

Comment

Hi guys! Adrian from Romania ,college student, and i love to fix broken old stuff !!

Comment

I'm Adam from Michigan. I picked up a free busted TV and I'm curious to learn how to fix it.

Comment

Hello, I am Mikey from Mississippi. I am attempting to fix my grandparents television and have had no success yet. I would like to post my troubleshooting methods and open them up to critique. This forum seems like a great community and I would love to regularly use it when I am fixing my small electronics.

Comment

Hello, everyone! I'm Vic from Sacramento, CA. I'm looking to get into SMD and Micro soldering. This forum is kick ass and filled with knowledge and experience. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Comment

Hello

Comment

hello I am new member with soney bravia kdl-32L 5000 problems

Comment

Hello, hmm how to put retired Air Force, retired from the world of copiers, fax, printerts and networks. now I help build airplanes. Still playing with computers after all these years, think I should know better.Oh well always been a tinkerer.

Comment

hello ppls. here is malta. trying to do some diy problem solving on monitors.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am Joe and I am in Sussex. I have some experience in repairing motherboards, mainly for laptops and have found some useful stuff by looking at this forum a few times so wanted to get involved.

Comment

Hi , my name is Nikola and i'm from Croatia! I love to repair pc electronics, car ecu,audio amps and i love to learn new stuff

Comment

My name is Luke, I live in Virginia in the United States and I have a question about repairing capacitors on a Seiki TV.

Comment

Hi everyone. My name is Vaggelis an I live in Athens-Greece. I joined the forum for seeking some help on how to fix my ups.

Comment

Hello everyone, I enjoy fixing things .

Comment

Hi! My name is Mark and I live on Colorado.
                                  I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to electronics but I enjoy the challenge!

Comment

Hi,

I'm here because I need help about things I understand very little about, so please go easy on me!

I normally do nothing at all related to electronics, but I did manage to recap my old LG LCD TV last year without blowing it up! Worked until the inverter board somehow failed, so wasn't too bad ;P

Comment

Hi. My name is Andy, and I was born in 1955, so you may address me as AncientOne

I live in Hillsborough, NC USA, but grew up mostly in England and France. HP hired me out of college, and transferred me to Galactic Headquarters in Palo Alto, CA (Cupertino actually, but close enough).

I love solving puzzles, and building things. Electronics and then computers and networks were my hobby and then my profession, at HP, Apple (Mac Division, yes, I have chatted once or twice with Steve Jobs) and Sun Microsystems before I worked as an independent consultant and then co-founded an ISP (Brainstorm Networks) that introduced DSL to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Eventually we sold the company to an East Coast cable company (RCN) that wanted to expand to the West coast. At that point I figured that I had enough money to retire, so I decided to become a high school math teacher, because I always enjoyed math, teaching and teenagers. Then we lost 90% of our money in the tech crash of 1999, and I found that I actually needed to work for a living again.

We (wife and two kids) realized that the cost of living in the Bay Area was too high for us to stay there, so we relocated to Carrboro (next to Chapel Hill) in North Carolina, which at the time had a good educational system and a reasonably liberal government.

I completed a BS in mathematics specializing in secondary education and have been teaching math ever since. My old oscilloscope now helps kids to understand periodic functions and a bit of physics, and for a real blast from the past I get out my old slide rule when we cover logarithms. I still enjoy teaching, I still enjoy math, and I still enjoy teenagers.

The North Carolina government has swung WAY to the right, and is systematically demantling the public school system. Were I relocating again I would not choose this state. But hey, that's me. Were a conservative I suppose that I would be in hog heaven.

My electronics skills and computer skills are now about 10 years out of date, but I still enjoy solving problems and fixing things, so I look forward to participating on this forum.

Some memories:

Best Christmas present EVER a Heathkit O-12 oscilloscope

First computer programmed: IBM 1620

First computer built: Altair 8800

Favorite class to teach: AP Statistics

All the best,

AncientOne

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm just here for some help troubleshooting my mom's TV.

Comment

Hello all guys, joined. Nice forum and cool place.

Comment

Working...
                                          X