Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is why you don't buy cheap multimeters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is why you don't buy cheap multimeters.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    What were you trying to measure? The explosion does look pretty spectacular.
    Details at

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2585.0

A few times I tried to measure DC on the AC mains - again, no explosions. Perhaps I've been lucky?
    See the very popular $4 or less Harbour Freight multimeter on Fluke's test and safety promotional video.

http://assets.fluke.com/video-MULTI/...afety_lab.html

The above multimeter is shown near the end of the video. Unfortunately, there is no timestamp that I can see on where it starts, but you get to see the flames in slow motion.

I think the Harbour Freight multimeter is set to 200 ohms when it is fed with 300+ DC volts.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The same way everyone ruins their first meter:

"So this plug can supply 15 amps, eh? I can check that with this amp scale."

Then you learn that measuring amps is not like measuring volts.
      sig files are for morons

Comment

What were you trying to measure? The explosion does look pretty spectacular.
        I can't remember, might have been some high current or voltage. I was just shocked when smoke started pouring out the back of it. It might have been a manufacturing defect because I've still got one of those meters and it's survived many more abuses.

Originally posted by Retiredcaps
        Did it look like this? I got this one free, but not working.
        Nope, it was this one: http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...st-leads-31052
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Sometimes the problem is poor knob contacts, you might try popping it off and cleaning the areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            Well, since a couple weeks ago it started working erratically on resistance. More specifically, on the low ranges it reads in the hundreds of ohms even if there's a short, then it slowly counts down to the real value...
            I noticed a similar problem (though not as bad) with my meter (it's one of the better-built 830B types)

Turned out to be dirty contacts on the rotary switch.

I cleaned the copper springs on the knob and the gold contacts on the PCB and haven't had the problem since.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Well, since then, i have dropped it (a few months ago) and it now displays entirely rubbish. So it's definitely not the range switch which is the problem on mine.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Maybe the spring-contacts went out of alignment from the drop? They just sit there on a little plastic ledge (Though you probably already know and have checked that!)
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

This is normal for the 830B and part of it is due to the crummy probes it comes with. With good probes it should read 0.6 to 0.9 ohms when shorted.
                  This is a prime suspect - both the probes (either end) - and the banana sockets into which they plug. I'm spoiled rotten - HP 73As are the "worst" DMMs in my test area, plus some Fluke 187s and some top-end Agilent handhelds. When you're trying to set voltages in the 4000 volt range to +/- 1 volt, a +/-1%, 3-digit meter is not adequate. I'm not the paying for the meters I use, while you guys are. Still, cheap @#$% meters will cost you more in the long run - in $$ and time wasted - than a Fluke 10, 20, 70 or 80 series DMM (also, look into Extech, which seems less expensive, but still decent quality). This is in the US ... not sure what's commonly available in EuroLand and Asia.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

In EU you can find Uni-T meters. Uni-T makes pretty good stuff. From bottom-of-the-barrel to Fluke level accuracy, they got everything covered. What you pay for is what you get. Uni-T is from China so no problems getting them in Asia either.
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                      This is a prime suspect - both the probes (either end) - and the banana sockets into which they plug.
                      Since my 99 cent 830 variant from ebay arrived DOA back in June 2010, these probes were NEVER used and have been put away. I took them out last week due to some of these threads and it literally fell apart in my hand.

Evidence.

And yes PeteS, I have much better quality name brand multimeters now.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                        Uni-T makes pretty good stuff.
                        I'm thinking of getting a low end one (at the right price) just to see myself first hand what they are like. I have read most of the reviews here and at eevblog.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a DM210 and DM350, two real low-end meters... The DM210 works fine and I have had it now for a while... The DM350 I got recently. I turned it on and it was giving me very erratic readings. I opened it up, just to peek inside, and then I put it back together. I don't know what I did, but nothing comes up at all now. The LCD has some really weird connection, like some sort of plastic block with black things sandwiched in-between that somehow links it to the PCB... Does anyone know how that works?

Oh yea, the difference between them is that the 210 has only voltage and Ohm, and the 350 has a diode finction, so I have been using the 210 as a glorified battery tester.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                            The LCD has some really weird connection, like some sort of plastic block with black things sandwiched in-between that somehow links it to the PCB... Does anyone know how that works?
                            Post some pictures please. I'm always curious to see the insides of any meter.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And here is the PCB (Full size 300+ KB version is attached to this post)L

Fuse is ok... Could it be the custom IC or you think it's a diode or transistor?
                              Attached Files
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

The LCD has some really weird connection, like some sort of plastic block with black things sandwiched in-between that somehow links it to the PCB... Does anyone know how that works?
                                That black/pink thing is a zebra stripe.

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_au...#AUDIOFAQC_012

For those curious, I figured out these are Sperry brand multimeters through some searching. Sperry DM-210A and DM350A.
                                Last edited by retiredcaps; 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Fuse is ok... Could it be the custom IC or you think it's a diode or transistor?
                                  If you are talking about that black circular blob, that is a chip on board (COB). It is probably a ICL7106

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/icl7106.php
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the model... Yea, I knew it was the IC, I was asking if he thought the IC was the culprit or maybe a diode or resistor was shot. I've read about transplanting these ICs, but like Unique said, for a $5 DMM... I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                      Since my 99 cent 830 variant from ebay arrived DOA back in June 2010, these probes were NEVER used and have been put away. I took them out last week due to some of these threads and it literally fell apart in my hand.
                                      Yep, cheap probes are cheap.
                                      I was measuring some current last week with my 830D. After measuring about 1.7A for over 2 minutes, the wires on my probes were actually warm to the touch!
                                      ... and to think the meter can measure up to 10A. I bet the probes will melt at 5A.

Comment

I bet the probes will melt at 5A.
                                        4A actually. Melted a few myself.

Comment

No wonder they don't put fuses for the 10A current setting - it's just not needed when the probes are acting as a fuse .

Comment

Working...
                                          X