Oscilloscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscilloscope

I have a couple of questions regarding an oscilloscope purchase and hope to have some help from you good people before I put some money on the table. I just recently started to look into repairing TVs and have noticed a lot of people saying that an oscilloscope is a vital tool in the repair process. My issue is that I really know close to nothing about them, and this is what scares me some what.

Well first of all I was told if I was going to buy one not to buy anything lower than 100Mhz. First, is that a good rule of thumb on an oscilloscope? Also what's the difference (other than price) of one that's 20Mhz or 400Mhz and everything in between. Also, is there anything else I should be looking out for when picking out my purchase.

Now with price being in mind, what do you think would be my best deal on an oscilloscope. I would like to stay under $200 or right in the area of $200.

Last but not least, to anyone who has taught themselves how to use an oscilloscope is there anything that helped you learn the operational process that you would be willing to share (such as links, PDFs, any kind of digital media) or if you can give any tips that you have found to be rather useful.

Thank you everyone!!!!! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and wish you the best new year!

Re: Oscilloscope

There are hours of videos regarding scopes over at

http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you, I will check out the site! I have been looking at other videos on YouTube, but you have to go threw so much garbage videos for one good video, it's just such a process! Anyways, Thanks again for the link and your post!

Comment

Check out the forums there as well. There is a thread about buying used scopes and suggestions.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I also like afrotechmods' videos (10 minutes total for all 3). I believe he is Canadian.

Oscilloscope Tutorial Part 1 - Choosing an oscilloscope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfo_-d82Co

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUIgAu3QQWQ

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_KuGEh0PyA
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You ROCK!!!!! I'm going to make a cup of coffee and get to watching some videos! Thanks!!!!

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about Oscilloscopes but as far as I can tell c_hegge likes his Stringray USB one... which is cool because you can screenshot the stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Peter9DO View Post
                I would like to stay under $200 or right in the area of $200.
                I should have mentioned that some of the eevblog videos are well past the $200 mark. You still learn something though.

I think the Rigol scope in some of his videos is $399?

Afrotechmods review is at $329.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiY9R93XA1g
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A 100 MHz (or greater) 'memory' or 'DSO' scope is the way to go if you only have one.
                  Much more useful than an analog scope.
                  If it doesn't come with a manual then check the availability of the manual before you commit to buying the scope in question.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Rigol at $399 that is mentioned

http://www.saelig.com/PSBE100/PSPC017.htm

PS. A lot of TV "repair" is more like replacement especially replacing complete boards in plasmas. Look through some of the threads at Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources here and you will see what I mean. Very few cases actually require a scope. A standard multimeter is sufficient for 90% of the cases.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You're correct about that Plasmas and LCDs for that matter normally require the entire board replaced rather than just being repaired. However with plasma TVs even in the manufacture's service manuals it shows the need of an oscilloscope for measuring wavelengths and such. In the past I have had great success with just using my multimeter, mainly on LCDs. However Plasma TVs seem to be a different beast. I have had no luck on plasmas. I just don't want to be limited to what I can test, it's very frustrating to me when I don't have the proper tools to do a job. I figure with the amount of electronics that I work on that I should have one at my disposal anyways and it would be nice to know how to use it as well. I need to buy as much equipment as I can now before my baby comes in Feb. I won't have the money for this stuff soon! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        A 100 MHz (or greater) 'memory' or 'DSO' scope is the way to go if you only have one.
                        Much more useful than an analog scope.
                        If it doesn't come with a manual then check the availability of the manual before you commit to buying the scope in question.
                        I have done a lot of reading about the DSOs and I have not seen to many people that like them. Also, they are very low MHz (at least the ones in my budget). They do look nice and the little room that it would take up on my work bench is most definitely a plus, but I think it's just out of my price range. Do you know of any DSO that's 100MHz and under $200?

Then for the USB ones they also fall under the very convenient but expensive category for me. If they have decent specs they are out of this world expensive. This was actually one of the first type that I looked into because it really was not going to take up any room on my work bench and I have a monitor mounted on the wall right in front of the bench as well so it would have been perfect! I came across a decent one for $199 that had me thinking but when I started reading reviews on it, I had to move on. I don't remember the make or model off hand, but if I can come across it I will post it to see if anyone else has used this scope.

Thank you for your reply!!!!!

Comment

If you are repairing plasmas to make money, it may be a very difficult resale market. Prices keep dropping every year for new plasmas.

On boxing day, one store had limited quantities of a Samsung 43 inch 720p plasma for $299 Canadian.

50inch 720p plasmas are around $500 now.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            I also like afrotechmods' videos (10 minutes total for all 3). I believe he is Canadian.

Oscilloscope Tutorial Part 1 - Choosing an oscilloscope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfo_-d82Co

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUIgAu3QQWQ

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_KuGEh0PyA
                            Well I like the oscilloscope he has, it's a little out of budget but I would spend the little extra cash for one like this. Now that I have looked at the reviews on it, everyone says it's a piece of junk. I think the only people that have said something positive about it is the people that have pictures of them taking it out of the packaging posted! lol! From what a lot of people are saying is that Owon is nothing but garbage. Again, I'm just going off what the majority of people have posted about the product.

Also in this guys first video he said the best ones are HP, Tektronix and HP/Aqulent. Then he is showing off his Owon, what's that all about? lol! His videos were great though, I have seen the 1st and 2nd one before, but I did watch them again, just to refresh the memory.

Comment

From what a lot of people are saying is that Owon is nothing but garbage.
                              I don't have a scope and don't plan to get one so I can't give an informed opinion regarding brands.

I'm just good at watching the videos and trying to learn something!!
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                If you are repairing plasmas to make money, it may be a very difficult resale market. Prices keep dropping every year for new plasmas.

On boxing day, one store had limited quantities of a Samsung 43 inch 720p plasma for $299 Canadian.

50inch 720p plasmas are around $500 now.
                                Yea, I know they are killing me with these prices. I will continue to say it I have much, much, much better luck with LCDs than plasmas. I have 3 - 42" sitting here that I have paid nothing for, or close to nothing for, so if I can repair them for under $100 and even sell it for $150 I would be happy! Also you have to keep in mind that the sales that the big companies put out are always limited quantities and it's normally for a day. Where if you can offer low prices all year round people love it!

I'm pretty successful in my other ventures such as laptops, iPods and monitors. It's always good to have a background in a variety of different products to hit different markets. If you have the ability to purchase a broken plasma for $20 or even for just getting it out of someones house it's worth giving it a shot to repair it, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

If it were me i would pick the Rigol. A lot of enthusiasts have it (just check the EEVBlog forums) so if you need help on using it, or if something goes wrong, you'll always get quick answers.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have done a lot of reading about the DSOs and I have not seen to many people that like them. Also, they are very low MHz (at least the ones in my budget).
                                    -Comparatively- Analog scopes aren't good for much.
                                    With Analog each trace passes and then goes *poof*.
                                    There is no memory to keep the trace in the machine.
                                    They are intended for signals that are exactly the same on every pass which isn't useful to find spikes in ripple or things like that.
                                    With DSO's you can hold a single trace on the screen so you can actually look at it for a bit. That's why when the were introduced they were called 'memory' or 'storage' o'scopes.
                                    There was an intermediate kind of scope [and advanced analog so to speak] where the phosphor on the tube would glow for longer than normal so you could actually look at it for a short time but I don't think those have been made since the 70's or early 80's.
                                    No, DSO aren't low MHz. That is a ridiculous statement.
                                    They go way up into the GHz range now days.
                                    My Tektronix is like 30 years and it came in a 1Ghz version way back then.
                                    If you're planning on buying new and want a decent scope you need to rethink your budget because that's your problem.
                                    Buying new you aren't going to get much of a scope for $200.
                                    A used 100 Mhz DSO shouldn't be too hard to find for $200.
                                    For new then you need to think more like $300-$400 and look for an el'cheapo Chinesse brand.

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                      -Comparatively- Analog scopes aren't good for much.
                                      With Analog each trace passes and then goes *poof*.
                                      There is no memory to keep the trace in the machine.
                                      They are intended for signals that are exactly the same on every pass which isn't useful to find spikes in ripple or things like that.
                                      With DSO's you can hold a single trace on the screen so you can actually look at it for a bit. That's why when the were introduced they were called 'memory' or 'storage' o'scopes.
                                      There was an intermediate kind of scope [and advanced analog so to speak] where the phosphor on the tube would glow for longer than normal so you could actually look at it for a short time but I don't think those have been made since the 70's or early 80's.
                                      No, DSO aren't low MHz. That is a ridiculous statement.
                                      They go way up into the GHz range now days.
                                      My Tektronix is like 30 years and it came in a 1Ghz version way back then.
                                      If you're planning on buying new and want a decent scope you need to rethink your budget because that's your problem.
                                      Buying new you aren't going to get much of a scope for $200.
                                      A used 100 Mhz DSO shouldn't be too hard to find for $200.
                                      For new then you need to think more like $300-$400 and look for an el'cheapo Chinesse brand.
                                      I never said I was looking for a new oscilloscope, I can care less if its new or used, I just want a working one. As for my budget of $200, unfortunately it is what it is, with a child on the way there really is nothing more I would be willing to do for a piece of equipment that I don't know how much it will come of use to me. Now just so we are on the same page, when you say DSO your are referring to the Nano style oscilloscopes correct? If that's the case I really have not seen any over 25MHz, that were reasonable priced, and this is why I have made that statement. If this is not what you mean by DSO, then I really don't know what your talking about then and if you would be willing to enlighten me some.

Thank you,
                                      Peter

Comment

Now just so we are on the same page, when you say DSO your are referring to the Nano style oscilloscopes correct?
                                        No.
                                        DSO stands for Digital Storage Oscilloscope.
                                        It's a standard term.
                                        All it means is the scope has some memory in it so it can save a trace and display it for as long as you want to look at it.
                                        Analog scopes don't do that.
                                        They display in real time, then it's just gone.
                                        Very hard to trouble shoot intermittent problems [spikes] or see the shape of a pulse with an Analog scope.
                                        I don't even know what you mean by a Nano style scope.
                                        My DSO was made in the 80's so they call it a 'Storage' scope even though it's an actual DSO.
                                        It looks like this:

Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X