My new "Blue" ESR tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new "Blue" ESR tester

I have just finished building my “Blue” ESR tester. I had read some of the threads here about it before purchasing and I was not sure what to expect. Apparently someone paid attention to the complaints that I had read about and corrected them. Mine seems to have good capacitors not real sure about the “Lelon” brand but they had good bungs, Nichicon and Panasonic were the other brands. My casing screws, not snaps together and has a battery compartment door so you do not have to take it apart to replace the battery. It passed the calibration test without me having to adjust the calibration trim-pot. I was really impressed by PCB, the components were well spaced and the silkscreen was crisp and legible. You may notice in my pictures that I managed to mount the PCB to the wrong side of the housing. I have since corrected it but my sticker is now on the back.

I have been saving some capacitors to test for when I got a meter, and I have to say that some of the results surprised and confused me. Most of the tests came out as expected. The swelled Rubycon that read .00 seems strange. The big 3300uF 16V Teapo looks fine, and tests .00 Ohms. I had read these are junk so I just expected it to be bad. The Fuhjyyu are just bad, bad, bad.

Anyhow, I thought I would share my experience and see what kind of advice or pointers I could get about using an ESR tester. I also am trying out a loaner camera that I may purchase, so respectful feedback on picture quality would be appreciated. I know my lighting needs work but there was no sunlight at the time.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: My new "Blue" ESR tester

This meter can do .xx Ohm (two decimal points) resolution?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
      I also am trying out a loaner camera that I may purchase, so respectful feedback on picture quality would be appreciated.
      Too grainy for my taste. For our purposes, you want a camera with good macro mode.

I have an old Canon A80 (taken probably over 30,000 shots) and you can see a sample of my shots.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...8&d=1334360320

What is make and model that you are evaluating?
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Feedback on the camera... Panasonic DMC-F27.... see a review here if you want to know the (more or less) expert's oppinion : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7

Yeah, a bit too grainy. Might be because you didn't use the macro mode (if it has any)

In regard to blue esr... it's a good meter but I sort of dislike that they still rely on old zilog microcontrollers and architecture as a simple reverse engineering block.

Also, for a commercial product the pcb is sort of... meh. Looks like a FR2, the resistors and other parts are not aligned properly on the pcb, sort of sends me the "lack of attention" or carelessness feeling. Considering it's also targeted to do it yourself, they also could have done the pads a tad larger, there's plenty of room.

On the other hand, I saw the documentation and I remember it was very nice, with plenty of detail.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
          I cannot attest to the accuracy of the readings, I am only going by what the display shows.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          What is make and model that you are evaluating?
          The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DCM-FZ7. It may be that I am not operating it correctly, I am using macro mode, manual focus, and stabilization mode 1. I have some trouble being able to tell how sharp the focus is on the LED screen due to its' resolution. I have little experience with cameras or photography, I am just trying to be able to post satisfactory images to the forum.

Comment

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DCM-FZ7. It may be that I am not operating it correctly, I am using macro mode, manual focus, and stabilization mode 1. I have some trouble being able to tell how sharp the focus is on the LED screen due to its' resolution. I have little experience with cameras or photography, I am just trying to be able to post satisfactory images to the forum.
            To reduce the grainy appearance you will need to switch to a lower ISO sensitivity value, take it off auto and set it to 400 or lower. The downside is that you'll need more light to take good photos. Auto focus will likely work fine, you don't need manual.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
              To reduce the grainy appearance you will need to switch to a lower ISO sensitivity value, take it off auto and set it to 400 or lower..
              The ISO was set to 400, but I will have to try the auto-focus. The owner was demonstrating his much higher-end model to me using manual focus, so I was just playing, monkey see monkey do.

I am currently reading the link provided by mariushm, which is proving quite informative. I would like to know how he knew the camera model before I posted it.

Comment

400 is also fairly high, but it depends on the sensor if you get noise or not. Try 200 and 100 too.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I just read this in the review:

"Unfortunately, no matter how good the camera we can't let the noise issue pass; like the LX1 reviewed late last year the FZ7 exhibits an unacceptable level of noise at all ISO settings, most especially at ISO 200+. For this reason - and this reason alone - the FZ7 misses out on a Highly Recommended; let's hope Panasonic has a better sensor up its sleeve for the next generation of this otherwise superb camera. As for you - have a look at the samples gallery and decide for yourself if the noise in real-world shots is acceptable; I'd happily buy the FZ7 myself, but I wouldn't use it at over ISO 100."

I will try some shots with the ISO set to 100 using auto-focus and see if my results are better. Thanks for good the input guys.

Comment

LDSisHere: the camera adds EXIF information to the images... as long as you don't strip it, it remains there.
                    I just downloaded one of the images and Irfanview (the image viewer I use) has an "Image information" menu option which shows all:
                    Code:
                    Filename - P1050470.JPG
                    Make - Panasonic
                    Model - DMC-FZ7
                    Orientation - Top left
                    XResolution - 72
                    YResolution - 72
                    ResolutionUnit - Inch
                    Software - Ver.1.0
                    DateTime - 2012:09:13 10:25:23
                    YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
                    ExifOffset - 418
                    ExposureTime - 1/50 seconds
                    FNumber - 4.00
                    ExposureProgram - Normal program
                    ISOSpeedRatings - 400
                    ExifVersion - 0220
                    DateTimeOriginal - 2012:09:13 10:25:23
                    DateTimeDigitized - 2012:09:13 10:25:23
                    ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
                    CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
                    ExposureBiasValue - -0.33
                    MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
                    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
                    LightSource - Auto
                    Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
                    FocalLength - 6.00 mm
                    FlashPixVersion - 0100
                    ColorSpace - sRGB
                    ExifImageWidth - 2816
                    ExifImageHeight - 2112
                    InteroperabilityOffset - 6908
                    SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
                    FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
                    SceneType - A directly photographed image
                    CustomRendered - Custom process
                    ExposureMode - Auto
                    White Balance - Auto
                    DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
                    FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 36 mm
                    SceneCaptureType - Standard
                    GainControl - High gain up
                    Contrast - Normal
                    Saturation - Low
                    Sharpness - Hard

Maker Note (Vendor): - 
                    Image Quality - High
                    Focus Mode - Manual
                    Color Mode - Normal

Thumbnail: - 
                    Compression - 6 (JPG)
                    Orientation - Top left
                    XResolution - 72
                    YResolution - 72
                    ResolutionUnit - Inch
                    JpegIFOffset - 7060
                    JpegIFByteCount - 8431
                    YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
                    later edit: Without knowing the price you're asked to pay for this one, I'm reluctant to say skip this one.

I'd recommend looking out for some Canon cameras, especially some of the ones supported by CHDK... which is a custom firmware that can be loaded from the SD card and doesn't mess with the internal camera software, adding lots of features and options to make cameras better.

CHDK is here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
                    Last edited by mariushm; 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                      Also, for a commercial product the pcb is sort of... meh.
                      Ok ,you spent 88$ at anatekcorp for it, for 99$ looks to come assembled.

Either way as the others commented all ready, it is very basic design with poor resolution.
                      You should do a better research prion getting it.
                      Do not get me wrong, but this looks as waste of cash to me.

Edit: My vote on cameras goes to Olympus.
                      Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post

Either way as the others commented all ready, it is very basic design with poor resolution.
                        You should do a better research prion getting it.
                        Do not get me wrong, but this looks as waste of cash to me.

Edit: My vote on cameras goes to Olympus.
                        What would YOUR choice be? I went for the Atlas ESR60 which also does capacitance.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom, I talked the RusMike here on the forum and got his ESRMicro 4.0 for a very good price.
                          It was 50 (dollars or euro, I don't remember now) without the case, but with a baggie full of spare parts.

The Blue ESR banks on Bob Parker's reputation to sell - the most expensive stuff on that meter is probably 3-5$ for the case, overall all the parts aren't more than 10$.

To sell it for 88$ in kit form is just... I mean they probably just bought everything in volume to get low prices, otherwise I can't explain why they'd still use such old mcu.

Why use a 1$ Z8 18 pin mcu when they could just as well used a 1.5$ 28 pin PIC or AVR and drive the display straight from the mcu (saving on an ic and socket and a few transistors) and make the design simpler, possibly by using 2-3AA batteries with a regulator down to 1.8-3.3v for the mcu, instead of 9v dropped to 5v.

It's old and complex for today's standards and too expensive for what it brings.

Comment

I agree. I await a cheap ESR meter on a China-made $20 DMM, it would probably cost less than a dollar to add and make them much more available to the average user.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

LDSisHere: the camera adds EXIF information to the images... as long as you don't strip it, it remains there.
                              I figured it had to be something like that. Do you know if GIMP will allow you to display/edit that information?

I did not intend for this thread to become about "cameras". I am not camera shopping. I may have the chance to trade some work for the FZ7 or I do not get a camera is pretty much what it comes down to in the end. What I am trying to determine is if the quality of pictures from this camera are satisfactory for troubleshooting on a forum, this one in particular. To that end I am posting some pictures using 100 ISO and auto-focus of a Cisco power supply. (It was handy.)

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                              I did not spend $88 on it as I did not buy it directly from Anatek. As for assembling it, that is one of the reason I chose this one, I enjoyed putting it together. If the kit and the fully assembled one were the same price, I still would have chose the kit. I already have a capacitor tester so I did not need that feature. I am also sure it is much more accurate than the homebrew devices I had been considering building.

Also, for a commercial product the pcb is sort of... meh. Looks like a FR2, the resistors and other parts are not aligned properly on the pcb, sort of sends me the "lack of attention" or carelessness feeling. Considering it's also targeted to do it yourself, they also could have done the pads a tad larger, there's plenty of room.
                              For a while now I have been drawing and etching my own PCB boards so compared to what that involves, having a pre-made, silk-screened, and solder masked board was a luxury. I usually use much smaller pads, pack my boards denser, and I probably break every engineering rule known to man in the process. From my home hobbyist perspective it was better quality than I was expecting,
                              Attached Files

Comment

To that end I am posting some pictures using 100 ISO and auto-focus of a Cisco power supply. (It was handy.)
                                The ISO 100 makes a huge difference. If selldoor were not on vacation, I think he would approve.

My own A80 is set to 50 ISO so I'm used to seeing something slightly sharper.

One retiredcaps bonus point for a picture of the Cisco power supply out of a Catalyst 2950. Nice to see Rubycon caps in the enterprise class workgroup switch.
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The ISO 100 makes a huge difference. If selldoor were not on vacation, I think he would approve.
                                  Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is what I was wanting to hear.

My own A80 is set to 50 ISO so I'm used to seeing something slightly sharper.
                                  This one has an 80 ISO setting but the review I read had some negative things to say about it so I just tried the 100 ISO setting. I will do more experimentation as I get time, at least I know it is worth keeping for now.

One retiredcaps bonus point for a picture of the Cisco power supply out of a Catalyst 2950. Nice to see Rubycon caps in the enterprise class workgroup switch.
                                  The mainboard has good caps also, this device is from the early to mid 2000's. I actually intend on starting a thread on it very soon, I just was not going to bother until I could get decent pictures to post.

Comment

Anyhow, I thought I would share my experience and see what kind of advice or pointers I could get about using an ESR tester.
                                    I forgot until just now that this was posted recently over at eevblog

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/general...ter-by-anatek/
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

As for assembling it, that is one of the reason I chose this one, I enjoyed putting it together.
                                      Yes, for some people that is all the fun. Just like building model airplanes or ships inside a glass bottle.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                        I have the same meter. Yes, lowest readout resolution is .01 ohm.

Comment

Working...
                                        X