My very first Rework flux by KINGBO Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My very first Rework flux by KINGBO Japan

That's what happens to it when it's kept too warm for too long.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

You mean a bad supplier then cause I have never heated...

Comment

Manufacturer suggests : Kingbo flux is available in 100 gram jars. It should be stored in a cool dry place, away from moisture and ignition sources.

Therefore now sounds as more reasonable, the idea to load some of it in a syringe, and keep the box stored in the refrigerator as protection for it texture.

As long it's not a baby food, all that it matters is to stay usable as much time as possible.

Comment

Kyriako it was like that from the moment that arrived on my hands almost 1 year ago. One friend of mine send me a small sample of his KINGBO and it was soft and white color. Bad seller I think although it gets the job done well, have done some reballings succesfully!

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitrios View Post
            Bad seller I think ...
            All chemical products can be easily manipulated, those days you cannot even feel safe for the quality of the gasoline that gets in the fuel tank of your car.
            Either way thanks for your feedback.

If some one receives something like that, we will use the proper eBay button that solves such problems.
            When buying something for a first time the chances of getting scammed are always higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
              This is one of the significant details about it success.
              And in my very first post this is what I mentioned that I need to confirm too.
              Thanks mate.
              Yep remaining active for lead and lead free is great

Last year I bought one KINGBO but instead of being the nice soft whitish cream, I 've received a hard yellow compound which at the end gets the job done but doesn't like its texture. Maybe its been on the shelf for too long and then they sent it to me? who knows..

Yes flux and solder paste should be stored in a less humid area

That photo however im not even sure how it became that way, unless it was recycled flux lol

Comment

We have to store solder paste in a dedicated fridge at the workplace, though we do work to IPC standards.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Last year I bought one KINGBO but instead of being the nice soft whitish cream, I 've received a hard yellow compound which at the end gets the job done but doesn't like its texture. Maybe its been on the shelf for too long and then they sent it to me? who knows..

http://imageshack.com/a/img42/9909/qhx2.jpg
                  Yep, that's just old/stale Kingbo flux there.

I can confirm that because mine was white and soft too when I got it 2 years ago. It's been sitting on a bookshelf in my room, though, where the temperature in the room often drift as high as 86F (30C) in the summer (and no less than 70F or 21C in the winter). And now it looks even worse than yours. But surprisingly, it still works great. Just tends to "smoke" a little more when burned/heated. No nasty residue left afterwards, though.

So Kingbo really is decent stuff.

Comment

Hmm I see. It still works good for me too but it is harder and difficult to squeeze out of a syringe though...

Comment

Yeah, when it's cold, it is indeed.

If you have a needle on your syringe, just cut/shorten it.
                      I also apply flux on the board after it has been heated to 150C or above (if doing a reflow or lift, that is). At that point, the heat that comes off of the board heats the needle on my syringe, and that makes the flux flow much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        At that point, the heat that comes off of the board heats the needle on my syringe, and that makes the flux flow much easier.
                        In such a scenario I will blast the syringe with a bit of Hot air, thanks for assisting further my imagination in finding solutions.

Comment

No problem . But don't heat it too much because it will eventually gunk up the needle.

... or if you are like me and it takes you more than a year to use half of a 10g syringe .

Comment

Just got in what looks to be enough kingbo flux to last a lifetime. Nice and creamy looking, very slightly yellow tinted at the edges, going to keep some out in a syringe, the rest in the fridge. 9$ USD on ebay, so far looks to be legit, was very well packaged too.

Comment

it is very hard to buy a genuine branded flux from internet. there is also big difference in price. someone will sell a fake at expensive price, so only good sellers will save you from fake.

personally i got a amtech 559 from china (seller goldpart) and it is for sure fake. ok for 10€ what would i expect, but the bad thing is that it make lots of smoke, and become black and glued like, very hard to clean.

now i use a mouser flux and is very ok. also i have a original amtech and is ok too, and a fake amtech rma that do it's job fine.

for example

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1pcs-100g-KIN...item3380ef35f9

or

http://www.ebay.it/itm/100g-KINGBO-R...item2a1ee018c6

both say it's original; so a good kinbo is 7€ ship included?

from goldpart i got this:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/100g-AMTECH-N...item2c66cd5fdf

and here it is some picture i made.

PS: i see a video of a dude using kingbo and it was quite similar to white (transparency)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dellxps15; 03-30-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Just used some last night. It gets sticky after heating, but seemed to work really well. Using kingbo, wick and an iron I was able to remove some smt leds quite fast. Does not wash off with soap or IPA. It did come off with acetone. I cleaned the board with brake cleaner and it came off quick.

I think next time Im going to use rubber gloves. I also may end up getting a large fan and running it super slow for fume extraction. This stuff put out some seriously acrid smoke.

Comment

Yeah the smoke it makes is not exactly pleasant. A fume extractor is a good idea. Nothing worse than coughing while you're cleaning solder off a sensitive board, and accidentally pressing your soldering iron against the board, pulling some parts or traces off... Almost happened to me a few times.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                                    Does not wash off with soap or IPA.
                                    Your IPA is weak, less than 85% purity.
                                    Getting high quality IPA is the second side of this coin, which we have not analyze yet.
                                    Because I consider it as pointless, different state laws, different countries, in this chase every one is alone.

Comment

Unique: Yeah, I hadnt thought of it, but i could see that happening. It burns enough that I dont want more than the whiff I had.

KGR: Bottle says 91%. I bought it fresh for this. If I recall correctly, IPA is hygroscopic, so I made sure it was sealed. IPA is freely available in the US, no restrictions AFAIK.

Comment

I use 99.7% ... and it's readily available here. Honestly, 91% I can probably have a hard time finding even at a veterinarian, it's so low purity.

You can even find it on Amazon at 99.5% or better.

Comment

i find it cheaper and easier to use denatured alchohol

Comment

Working...
                                          X