Trying to update firmware on Hitachi 42HDT79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to update firmware on Hitachi 42HDT79

I found this set in the dumpster. I brought it home and it works fine. I've had it playing a movie on repeat for hours two days in a row now. I have the back off though. I see no bulged caps at all. I read that there is a common problem with the 3300uf 100V cap on the PSU, so I ordered one to replace it. Maybe it was tossed due to a heat related issue and with the back off it's not getting hot enough to shut off. I don't know. At any rate, it looks like it's got the original firmware. I am trying to update to the latest version I can find. The set is running version 0112. I have version 1261 on my SD card. I've followed the instructions on Hitachi's website, but I can't get the TV to recognize that the SD card is inserted. I've formatted the card with a program called SDFormatter. It worked when I needed to update a Panasonic plasma recently.

Any advice?
    Last edited by johnboy1313; 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM.

Re: Trying to update firmware on Hitachi 42HDT79

Does this help?

Comment

Those are the exact instructions I'm following. The instructions say MMC card or SD card, but the TV says insert MMC card. I'm going to try to track an actual MMC card down and see if it works.

Comment

Did you check the sd card slot for any junk stuck in it? You did get it from a dumpster.

Comment

No. Good point. Though it was an electronics recycling dumpster and it was just sitting there with nothing around it.

Comment

Try canned air just to blow it out could be a lot of dust,or worse from a smokers house. May be full of that brown tar crap.

Comment

Did you put both files on the card, What are the file names as listed on the sd card?
              should be memp1261.f01 and update6x.gfl

Comment

Yeah, both files are on the card. The TV is very clean inside. Very little dust at all. Even on the fans. It seems like it just doesn't recognize that the card is inserted.

Comment

You tried a different SD card yet from a different manufacturer?

Comment

No, but the same SD card worked fine a few days before when updating a Panasonic plasma.

Comment

I fell upon this thread and forum when updating the firmware... The SD card I used was formatted FAT. Not sure if it's a requirement, but the update went smoothly.

Also re the OP, I recently got this TV from a buddy who had it sitting in his garage for a few years. It was giving the blinking blue error LED when he tried to turn it on. He was a heavy smoker and the fans had locked up due to the tar and dust. Tore it all down... cleaned the fans up.. it fired right up.

Anyways... Thanks for the info on the links for the upgrade.

Comment

Found this thread via Google - just found the same model by the side of the curb.

Booted it up and it seems to work well overall, but the picture is kind of fuzzy. I'm first trying a firmware update (it's on the original), but I move my selection to upgrade firmware and press the lowest button on the side of the unit (what I've been using to select menu items) and nothing happens. I have a 2GB non-SDHC FAT formatted memory card in it with the two files on it above. I noticed the directions on the website say to use the remote. Is it necessary to use the remote to upgrade the firmware? Or is its lack of response to the button pressing mean it can't detect the SD card? I'm not sure if it should say "Cannot read SD card" or something like that. I'll probably take it apart and clean it too, I can smell the smoke on the TV pretty clearly.

I've ordered a 128MB SD card on eBay to give it a try as well.

Here's a link to download the firmware if anyone else finds this via Google - it took me a few minutes to find it:
                        http://www.hitachiserviceusa.com/index1.asp

EDIT: I read the button that I'm press and it is labeled select on the side - I guess just complete lack of response means it can't read the card?
                        Last edited by darkNiGHTS0; 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

delete this post, couldn't edit before because account wasn't 100% approved.

Comment

Working...
                          X