Cheap P6100 probes = junk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap P6100 probes = junk?

For the heck of it and waiting till I perhaps fan find a hamfest that are selling real Tek probes, I got some chinaprobes to see how bad they were. These are "100MHz" 10/1:1 probes. I suppose I can keep them with my old VuData 20MHz, but wanted to see how bad they really were for my 300MHz Tek.

Wow, not sure what to say about them. Perhaps I'm expecting too much and expecting the pink unicorn. And perhaps not an banana to banana comparison:

From top to bottom are ch.1 to ch.4, and ch.1/ch.2 have full attenuators (set to DC coupling) with the cheap probes switched 10:1. Ch.3 and ch.4 have DC coupling only. Ch.3 has a RG174 with alligator clip wires and no attenuation. Ch.4 is a 1.5" piece of solid wire from the calibrator output to the input. (BTW, bottom of the screen are the attenuations for the 4 channels and the time/division. Top of screen is trigger source, trigger voltage, and time between cursor marks).

Now I would guess that since all of the connections, especially the 4 ft of RG174U would add quite a bit of cap, but even if I disconnect it, the waveforms don't change that much, but it is noticeable. The two scope probes if disconnected do not affect the display at all, implying perhaps the 10:1 really is working.

What I'm wondering is if the bad ringing should be tunable or perhaps that's the way it should be (I don't know how good the calibrator output should look.) The probe compensation adjust seems to be simply attenuating the signal and not affecting the ringing (I suppose the attenuation is not unexpected, after all, it is a short at high frequencies.)

Am I using them all wrong, or is this what I get for having bad chinaprobes?

And here's one of the probes on my Vu-Data using its probe calibrator:

This time I guess it's clearly overcompensated/overdamped. Perhaps I'm running the Tek's calibrator a bit too fast? (Note poor Vu-Data is in chop mode...)

BTW: I hate these cheap chinaprobes hooks. Every other hook I have is really "thin" - these hooks in these probes are really thick, making it probably impossible to hook onto through hole IC pins. The other spring hooks I have are "thinner"...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 05-21-2016, 07:06 PM.

Re: Cheap probes = junk?

Okay this was a very, very tough shot to do. Really need three hands to do this shot justice:

Terrible. Though it is much "stronger" than the red hook, it's much less versatile.
    Attached Files

Comment

isnt that a bit unfair, repeat the test with the probes set 1:1 to match the other inputs.
      btw, there isnt much to probes and leads - just some company's completely rip people off.

ask yourself why a set of fluke cables for a DMM cost $100.
      hell, superior ones from AGILANT with more end pieces only cost a 3rd of that!
      and they arent much better than $5 chinese cables.

obviously none compare to a $1 set though

Comment

Hmm... maybe, though since I never had the original probes I don't know what to expect :o

It's true that DMM probes probably don't have much but was wondering about scope probes. If the scope probe cables were simply RG174U then I'd have to question its capabilities as the cap on these probes would be atrocious.

Sigh. I wish Agilent/Keysight was still HP...

I will probably have to get a 300MHz or more set of passive probes at some point, but wonder what the difference is between the cheap probes and the ones fully rated at 300+ MHz...

Comment

High MHz probes are allot more than you might think stj,
          Watch the following video:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiAmER1OJh4

As for the problem you have eccerr0r I'm not sure, but there have been some probes recommended on eevblog.
          You might want to take a look there and see what people recommend.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

i know about high MHz or even GHz probes, with coils, filters and even fet amplifiers in them,
            but we are talking about relativly low frequency stuff here.
            even the chinese more than double the price for a 200MHz probe.

as for eevblog, a lot of the people there are snobs, they will recomend something worth more than the scope without taking that into account.
            look at the bullshit over DMM's and the inclusion of GDT's and HV fuses.

they would throw a fit if they saw the thread here where a guy had a 1200v fence charger,
            put his fluke on it and got nothing.
            then put a $15 500v max uni-t on it and got the correct reading - without it blowing up!!!

Comment

Okay you didn't make it clear in your first post when you said "there isn't much to probes and leads" which is what I don't agree with

eccerr0r, I found the page I was looking for now, I actually intended to buy some P6100 probes myself but never got around to it, based on the test results here:
              http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews...nds-on-review/

But now after Googling around some more I found the following thread where a followup test was done with new probes from the same eBay seller, looks like the quality went way downhill under those two years... (page 2)
              http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...'scope-probes/
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Re: Cheap P6100 probes = junk?

Yeah I need to find some way to measure rise time, I don't have any equipment to do that. The Tek scope *should* exceed the speed of the probe, or at least I would hope so - if not it needs some adjustments I ended up getting a set mainly because I did not have probes for my Vu-Data either, which these cheap probes *should* exceed.

But yes I agree with stj - there are a lot of equipment snobs out there and use a 300MHz scope to test an audio circuit. Want to cut through that BS.

My guess right now is that I'm far exceeding the intended bandwidth of the calibrator on the scope, or at least I'm not sure what the calibrator waveform should look like at 5MHz (the waveform is much cleaner at lower speeds as the calibrator speed tracks the time/division knob. My Vu-Data has a fixed calibrator speed so I could easily get a decent waveform that shows what I need it to show.)

Comment

One more thing that scares me:
                  Clones of clones.

I've heard there are some chinese companies making clones of another chinese company's clones. You can imagine how bad these products are, if the first one is not so great...

Unfortunately I can't tell if the scope probes I have are this case, but after a bit of research I found out my cheapo hot air rework station is the case... Ha... I just need to make sure I turn it off and not let the triac fry my house down when it gives way...

Comment

lol - soldering stations (900m type) seem to be made by half the chinese population.
                    there are probably more manufacturers than iron tips!!!

Comment

More tests from a equipment challenged person:

I'm using an Eico 324 signal generator, setting it to 145MHz (note: it has harmonics). I can't vouch for the amplitude on this signal generator and as far as I can tell, it's not constant as I slip through the frequencies. Theoretically this also has harmonics so it should produce an "interesting" signal on the 2465 at least if conditions are ideal. But it's not...

Probing the BNC output directly with the P6100 probe in 1:1 mode: 40.2mV p-p
                      Probing the BNC output directly with the P6100 probe in 10:1 mode: 29.8mV p-p (but x10 = 298mV)

Now if I hook up the sig gen directly to the scope through RG174U
                      140mV p-p to 1M coupling input
                      95mV p-p to 50 ohm termination (-> now I can find the output impedance of the sig gen).

According to Belden's web site, RG174U is about 33dB loss per 100 meters at around 150MHz, and I have about 1 meter of cable so it would be about 0.33dB loss through the cable I have...

Something isn't quite adding up here. Grrrr.... would be much easier to direct measure or measure by rise time! :\

Comment

I found my first physical construction issue with these P6100s:
                        The clip liead on the alligator clip side. This is asking to break... Not sure if I want to add stress relief but at some point the ground wire inside the plastic insulation will break and I'll wonder where all the noise is coming from.

Comment

i replace those with spring-hooks anyway.
                          the stuff i test, you wont find anything big enough to put a croc-clip on.
                          Last edited by stj; 06-10-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

That is true... hmm. I will need to get more spring hooks and replace the alligator clip when it breaks.

Mostly I've been clipping on chassis ground, however it is kind of noisy.

(Incidentally those Y caps are amazing. I noticed my dead computer, if I unplug just the power cord (including ground) but leaving all signal cables connected, and connect just my scope tip to the chassis letting the ground cable dangle. Scope is grounded of course. With a x10 probe I see a 12V P-P AC signal on the scope.

Dare to touch that chassis, knowing that?

Comment

you used to be able to get rifa film caps with an internal series resistor to limit ac current.
                              i dont know if they still make them.

we used to put them across record deck switches to reduce arcing and eliminate switching noise.

Comment

Typically, an oscilloscope probe has a 50 ohm impedance cable; bandwidth is limited by a high impedance (1M ohm) termination by the oscilloscope, but if the oscilloscope can switch to a 50 ohm termination, signal transfer by the probe cable is optimum up to its rated frequency, but stray capacitance can be an issue.
                                Active FET probes have a high impedance input (accurate measurements at the probe tip) and a 50 ohm impedance output amplifier connected to the probe cable, which requires an oscilloscope with a 50 ohm termination for accurate results.
                                Last edited by japlytic; 07-13-2016, 03:48 AM. Reason: Clarification
                                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

you could use an old headphone cable and a rusty nail.
                                  (almost )

http://www.emcesd.com/1ghzprob.htm

Comment

Now this will exceed the bandwidth of my Tek scopes...

Anyway, I wonder how close to 50 ohm impedance the cheap P6100 cables are.

Comment

i dont think they are, i think they are 1meg

Comment

Hmm. need a way to find out, of course assuming that the probe is in 1x mode.

Looking at some sample coax cables, the highest impedance cable I see doesn't even hit 1K ohms... can scope probe cables be all the way at 1M ohms? DC resistance is probably a couple ohms... hmm. Should measure that too...

Comment

Working...
                                        X