Cheap P6100 probes = junk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap P6100 probes = junk?

I chanced upon getting an official Tek P6120 x10 probe. Alas it's only a 60MHz probe, but I can assume that Tek really means 60MHz. I tried hooking up a P6100 probe to Ch.1 and a P6120 to Ch.2 and tried comparing the two...

Unfortunately no fast edge to check rise time...

Alas other than mucking with the compensation a bit to match my scope... can't really tell much difference using the calibrator output (not unexpected...). The calibrator output doesn't really have a fast rise/fall time.

Comment

ALLRIGHT... I built an avalanche pulser (breakdown testing of a 2N3904 and 150V supply, 20pf cap discharge) on a breadboard, and tried measuring rise time with the cheap china probes... On my Tek 2465, I got... 1.96ns risetime. This is scope + probe + breadboard...

My 20MHz scope... Being non-digital and 100ns/div is the fastest sweep, was tough to tell. I estimate around 20ns rise time, maybe less.

I also have some Tek P6120s which are rated 60MHz probes.
      Rise time = 1.88ns on the Tek 2465...

What the...

Well at least the china P6100 probes are almost as good as the P6120's.
      Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-06-2016, 08:32 PM. Reason: More data!

Comment

it's possible the tek probes can go over-rating,
        and the chinese meet spec.

i'v seen people on EEVblog using 100MHz scopes to view upt 300MHz signals - although not perfectly!

Comment

Well if the probe isn't rated for 300 and you run it at 300, it just means it's attenuated. Trouble is, indeed, it's a bit iffy to use them because now the 300MHz component is attenuated but the 100MHz component isn't, so your waveform looks a bit distorted from reality (!)

But it looks like in Tek's world with their screwy formula,
          P6100 = 1.96ns => 180MHz
          P6120 = 1.88ns => 194MHz (!)
          20MHz scope = 20ns => 17.5MHz ... At 17ns it would be 20.6MHz, but in any case the scope is limiting bandwidth, not the probe.

Comment

Hmm... and my third scope (DSO), using its onboard rise time measurement, says ~1.6ns rise with the cheap china probe (!). However this DSO is using multisampling to get a waveform (Tektronix 2440: 300MHz frontend, 500MS/sec backend). Ah... the conveniences of a DSO...

All in all I guess other than the possible crappy construction issues that will cause the probe to disintegrate on you, the P6100 does indeed meet 100MHz spec. Thumbs up. I do wonder if there are "clones of clones" of these probes (seems like there are multiple versions) - and whether they are up to snuff.

Hmm. I may have to build the pulser into a self contained unit, hopefully to reduce parasitic inductance to stop ringing and to test other things later. Though I will have to figure out how to squeeze in a power supply for it...

Comment

Pictures!

My Tek 2440, Tek 2465, and 20MHz VuData scope output from the pulser and the cheap china probe (P6100)

I don't know why the 2440 rings so much worse than the other two...Something weird going on. Termination was off on this run but didn't help much with it on.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X