Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluke Scopemeter190

Hi folks,

I have just come into a Fluke 190 Scopemeter that has sat idle and was put up for a few years. Everything looks to be in excellent physical condition including probes and leads. After reconditioning the battery, the unit came right up and seems to hold a good charge.
    The VOM functions all work fine, but the scope functions seem to flatline. An Attempt to trim the probes to the build in square wave generator was dysfunctional, even though I can read proper voltage there with an alternate VOM.

I have been away from component level diagnostics for a few decades and even though I felt comfortable finding my way around this unit, I am not familiar with the particulars of this unit. My initial thought is that it is in need of repairs.

So I have 2 questions. First...anyone here familiar enough with these to confirm or deny my thoughts on the condition of this unit. And secondly, any suggestions on a decent repair facility that might be able to get this thing back in the groove?

Thanks much.
    Poultry is just another word for chickens.

Re: Fluke Scopemeter190

Ok,

My n00bness is showing through, along with my age. The "Thumbs down" Icon registered in my brain as a "Question Mark" when I posted this. Working now to figure out how to edit that to something more appropriate. Bad eyes, bad brain, just one mark short of a trifecta here.

Comment

Hi Dominigi

Welcome to the Forum!

A broken Fluke? Aren't those supposed to be like really good meters?

Have you got the manuals for it? Maybe there's something you missed, like some goofy setting or other hidden in some obscure sub-menu.

Fluke appears to have manuals for it here:
      http://us.fluke.com/usen/support/manuals/default.htm

Good luck,
      Keri

PS.
      Getting a scope to operate: Easy
      Figuring out what the darn thing is trying to say: AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Not to state the obvious, but -
        Is the probe good? Did you check it for continuity? Try another probe?

Fluke offers repair and calibration services not only for their equipment but many others. There are also assorted repair and calibration services throughout the country. A Google search may be in order.

Perhaps: http://www.byramlabs.com/
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Good morning folks,

Thanks for the replies so far. I can see that I should have been more descriptive in my original post.

This unit is in just mint condition as are all the leads, probes carrying case etc. which is all the more confusing to me. It doesn't look like this thing worked hard a day in its life. All of the original paperwork, manual, CD serial cable, 2 sets of probes and several adapters are present and in the same condition.

I didn't think to originally, but I did go ahead and check the impedance of both probes and found then to be sitting at 9 M ohms and the grounds to 0 without any shorting between so they appear to be fine.

When I go through the probe calibration routine, I read no wave on the screen. Understand that the lcd screen is functioning overall very nicely. This occurs on either probe in either (A/B) input. I went ahead and popped the case for a quick peak inside thinking that perhaps there was an internal fuse or 2. I saw no fuses, and what I did see was very pristine.

Also just to clarify a bit , the unit is in the 190 series, but more specifically is a 192 Scopemeter 60 MHz 500MS/s V04.04 with calibration #1 dated 5/28/2001.

I also tried setting the unit back to factory defaults just in case there was a "software/firmware" bug.

Hmmm, I just found that a firmware update exists to take this to v4.08. Would hate to think that software was the issue here but I think I will download and installing that to see what happens.

Comment

Okay. I mean no disrespect and I don't mean this in any way but good...

Why are you screwing around with a $3,000 piece of equipment? If it's not working, get a hold of Fluke and get it serviced and calibrated. I'll bet they update the firmware while they're at it. Even if it cost a few hundred to do so... it's money in the bank.

I've seen other folks "have a go" at fixing test equipment before, with some expensive lessons learned there...

Just my 2¢ worth
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Thank you for the very succinct reply there Toasty, no disrespect taken here in the very least.

I am screwing around with it simply because I am a man, and that is what we do. I've never been able to quite put my finger on it, but it's the same reason I screw around with my boats, bikes and cars.

You needn't have any concern of me "having a go at fixing" this unit, I have no intent to perform any sort of component level repair on this unit. I was just looking to see if there was anything obvious. Perhaps things have changed in the last 30 years, but the first thing we were taught was to take a look and smell. Upgrading the firmware seems no more complicated than updating a bios in a computer, and is recommended as a user level "field upgrade" by Fluke.

I have tried to get hold of Fluke's service department this morning without any success as of yet, but have found a few authorized Fluke repair firms that I have on my short list and should my efforts fail, it will be on the first bus out.

I thought , perhaps there was a person or 2 here in these forums that might have first hand knowledge of this unit and any peculiarity or tip that might make for an easy fix. Thanks again for your positive and informative contributions to this thread.

Comment

Ok, new information.

The Firmware upgrade succeeded however the unit will still not read a waveform, so unless I happen across a "secret recipe" to fixing this, it will be off to the repair shop.

I just got off the phone with the fine folks in the service area of Fluke out there in Everitt WA.

They "flat rate" repairs as follows:

$615.00 + freight to fix anything and everything that is wrong with the unit. Includes calibration.

Calibration only is $198.00

Their standard "target" turnaround after receipt of the unit in house is 10 days.

Several of the repair centers I have looked at also go by the "flat rate" program, but the least expensive that I found was $695, leading me to believe that the take and reship the unit to Fluke and take a drag off the turnaround.

I have found a few shops that charge a flat rate "bench testing" fee which would get me in the door for a bit less, but as hard as it might be to believe, none of them are down here in the Florida Keys and the thought of not being able to walk-in with this leaves me with a cause for concern.

I'll stop back in once my final decision is made and let y'all know how it goes.

Comment

>>I am screwing around with it simply because I am a man, and that is what we do.<<

Are you originally from Missouri? The "hold mah beer and watch this" driver state?

Anyway, the link that I put in my first reply, they have a facility in Orlando.

I might also inquire of them as to why a brand new unit of theirs has failed. *ahem* "Is this something I should expect from Fluke equipment?"

Toast
                  Last edited by Toasty; 03-06-2009, 01:10 PM. Reason: Mis-read -fixed
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

LoL

Nah, not from Missouri... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comment

Did you perform the unit Reset function? Maybe you did if you updated firmware...

It's in the Service Manual from Fluke.

4.4.1 Resetting the test tool
                      Proceed as follows to reset the test tool:
                      • Press [Power Button] to turn the test tool off.
                      • Press and hold [User Button].
                      • Press and release [Power Button] to turn the test tool on.
                      • Wait until the test tool has beeped twice, and then release [User Button]. When the test tool has beeped twice, the RESET was successful.

Cheers!
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Hey Toasty,

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did perform the reset procedure, it is also included in the user's manual.

If you have access to a service manual, what does it say in the chapter titled "Darned thing looks perfect but won't grab a signal"?

Thanks again.

Comment

The Service Manual is available on Fluke's site.

But let me have a look for you...

Hmmm. Ahh! Here it is -

Open case and look for obvious signs of problem - broken connection, corroded wires or loose circuit board interconnects, rodent/insect infestation, gremlins, or Leprechauns abuse.

After that are some sub-sections, and the last section is "Other Uses":

a) How to use equipment as a hammer or other striking device
                          b) How to use equipment to gain entry to a locked vehicle
                          c) Proper method for shot-putting equipment
                          d) Proper method for drop-kicking and not causing self-injury
                          e) Use as bookcase, night table, foot rest, chair or table leveling device
                          f) Doorstop and wheel chock methods
                          g) Classroom/Educational uses on how not to treat test equipment
                          h) Small caliber impact resistance test
                          i) Large caliber impact resistance test
                          j) High voltage resistance testing and connection procedures
                          k) Acids and bases exposure resistance methods
                          l) Solvent resistance measurements
                          m) Proper method for flame resistance testing
                          n) Cooking and barbecuing with your meter
                          o) How to use as a beverage holder - non-alcoholic
                          p) I have to.... brb
                          q) How to perform the Urine Standard Analysis test
                          r) Proper display and use as a holder for alcoholic beverages
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

On a more serious note, I went digging in my records and found the company I used years ago. They repaired, certified, and calibrated my service monitors, signal gens and freq counters:

Auburn Electronic Labs
                            12345 Bowling Rd
                            ( Highway 68/80 )
                            Auburn, KY 42206

270-542-6000

I did a quick Google and it looks like they're still there.
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Oh, nice find.

Looks like my Firefox + NoScript was keeping me a little too safe, wasn't able to get to those pull down menus before. Thanks much for the lead.

Looks like I have a little perusing to do this evening.

Comment

As they say in the classics: "If all else fails, read the manual". Before you start concluding that there's something wrong with it (there probably isn't), be absolutely certain that you're driving it properly.

Go to the part of the manual about "Basic operation" and how to get it to display the probe compensation waveform. Maybe you've just got the inputs grounded or somethng really basic like that.

Good luck.
                                It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Any word there Domingi?
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Sorry to revive such an old post, but I haven't had success looking anywhere else.

Domingi, if you're still an active member and are receiving messages, I am looking for the firmware upgrade file for the original 190 series like yours. Do you still happen to have that firmware lingering around on an old floppy somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                    X