Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestions..

I've finally bought my first ESR meter kit. Wish me luck.

Parts

Front

Back reads "Bob... Dec '07" lol

Please note PCB images are for my reference.
    Does an idiot make a sound if no one’s there to hear them talk?

Re: ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestions..

Luck has very little to do with it. This kit can be assembled by anyone willing to follow directions (assuming all parts are there).

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Re: ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestions..

I'm done building the meter, but I have 4 silver clips leftover. Any ideas what these are for?

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOne302
        I'm done building the meter, but I have 4 silver clips leftover. Any ideas what these are for?
        The case is a marvel of multifunctionality. With those four clips the battery compartment becomes a battery holder for 2 AA cells.

PlainBill
        Last edited by PlainBill; 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM.
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Bill for the update ((no extra parts) = (a good build))...

Anyone know why I'm having to zero the meter out every time I power up?

Comment

>>Anyone know why I'm having to zero the meter out every time I power up?<<
            'cuz that's the way it is.

If you were to use longer or shorter leads, change tips, use probes instead of clips etc., the meter is so sensitive to low ohm changes that if not zeroed, you'd have false or bad readings. Simply moving along a trace on a PCB will register changes.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Looks like I'm good then.

Thanks Toasty,

Joe

Comment

I just got mine yesterday and put it together in a couple of hours. I was going to post pictures but it looks just like yours! Enjoy!
                Why throw it away? I might need it in the next 40 years. Duh!

Comment

Here are a few pics of the completed Blue ESR meter and my work bench / kitchen table. =)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well done! Looks nice. I hope it will give you years of faster electronic repairs.

Bob
                    (in Australia)
                    It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

WOW, we commoners aren't use to such kind words from royalty.

Thanks Bob for the complement on the build…

May I ask that on your next ESR meter have three digits please, the Blue meter reads .01/.00 on 6.3v 820uf MBZ's; I really would like to see how low SP-Caps can go.

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Royalty? Definitely not!

Thanks for suggesting a higher resolution ESR meter. Actually quite a few people have asked me about that. Once you start measuring down that low, it's necessary to do things a bit differently like using 'Kelvin' (two wires to each cap terminal) connections to the cap being tested to minimise errors.

I've finally added it to my list of things to try doing. Maybe it would only need to read from 0.001 up to 0.099 ohms and the present ESR meter would be OK to use above 0.1 ohms? That would be much easier than trying to cover the whole range in just one meter.

Thanks
                        Bob

Comment

just give us a ship date Bob - I want one

Comment

We all know you can do it, you're the "Cap Master"…

Do you realize you've created Bob? An low ESR seeking capacitor cult; may we live strong and prosperous on our repairs.

Oh ya, you can do it...

Comment

Maybe there could be a way to integrate the two meters in to one case using the already existing display but adding one more LED to the right side instead of adding another digit (because we would already know it's a zero, it would just be kind of a place holder). And we could switch between the two PCBs with a selector switch. We could add spacers to the case, it would be just a bit thicker. The display would look something like this ..0.0

What you think?

Comment

We all know you can do it, you're the "Cap Master"…

Do you realize you've created Bob? An low ESR seeking capacitor cult; may we live strong and prosperous on our repairs.

Oh ya, you can do it...
                                Wow, thanks for your confidence, Joe! Actually I'm just another technician and I only designed that ESR meter for myself originally.

Back in 1995, if someone had told me that it would get well known outside my native Australia (that Down Under place where it's winter right now) and even get sort-of 'cult' status, I would have told them they had rocks in their head.

For sure I want everyone who's got one of the meters, from the original 1996 Dick Smith version to the present Anatek Blue one, to live strong and prosperous (very Spock-like) in their repairs. That's what the meter's for!

Maybe there could be a way to integrate the two meters in to one case using the already existing display but adding one more LED to the right side instead of adding another digit (because we would already know it's a zero, it would just be kind of a place holder). And we could switch between the two PCBs with a selector switch. We could add spacers to the case, it would be just a bit thicker. The display would look something like this ..0.0

What you think?
                                Good idea. There are better components available now, than when I designed the original meter. I'll need to put some serious thought into what would be the simplest & cheapest way to measure single milli-ohms, and how to display them. Thanks for giving me some possibilities to contemplate.

Comment

Re: ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestio

Any updates on the “higher resolution ESR meter”?

Comment

Re: ANATEK Blue ESR Meter REV 1 PCB first build. Tips and component upgrade suggestio

I'd be keen on an ESR meter that can measurer lower too.

I love my Blue ESR meter but I have seen several datasheets which state values lower than 0.01 Ohm, so there is need for one that can do lower better range, I think.
                                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

I've looked [a little] into making one but I never seem to have enough time to devote to it.
                                      That kind of project is not something I'm particularly good at [I have to 'cook book' every step] and for things like that I have to set -everything- else aside for the duration or I'll never finish.

BK Precision 885 and 886 will do it but they start at around $500 a pop.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOne302 View Post
                                        Any updates on the “higher resolution ESR meter”?
                                        Hi again. Sorry but unfortunately my 'home' situation hasn't let me do anything useful with electronics for the last few years and it's likely that I won't get a chance to get back into it until some time late next year.

Conversely, measuring down to milliohm resolution runs into the problem of contact resistance between whatever your test leads terminate in, and the capacitor's leads.

Assuming that things start looking up next year, I'll try to look at all this in more detail.

Comment

Working...
                                        X