Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crimping crimp-on RG58, RG174, etc. connectors without die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crimping crimp-on RG58, RG174, etc. connectors without die?

I've seen these really specialized hexagonal die crimpers for RG58, etc. crimp-on connectors. I wonder if anyone has been successful crimping these things without the special crimper?

I've come across many RG59/RG6 crimpers which does me no good...or maybe they could?

Re: Crimping crimp-on RG58, RG174, etc. connectors without die?

I've never been able to cheat using a die-crimp on coax. RG-59 rings I have mangled and fudged with pliers, not a decent option.
    You need to crimp in a concentric (circle), not like spade crimp connectors.

Dies are $6 a set and the tool $16,
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...23703640.html?

HEX die
    RG-6 8.1mm
    RG-59 6.5mm
    RG-58 5.4mm
    RG-174 2.6mm

Comment

how do you crimp the center pin?

Comment

The center pin can be soldered for me, no problems with that. I just wonder if it's possible to cheat crimping the main connector. Sounds like I have to get a crimp tool.... ugh.

Mainly because there are so many kinds of cable out there... though I think the main ones I need are RG8 RG58 and RG174. I suspect that RG59 most connectors out there are the compression type as the industry uses so much of it they're cheaper...

I've seen some second hand RG6/RG59 crimpers around, wonder if it's worth picking up one though I don't need it... the others are the ones I really want.

Comment

You know, technically I just need the die... then I can stick it in my vise...

Comment

they dont usually use a die, they are single function - i have one from the cable scumbags.

Comment

Well depends on the type, yes, the RG6/RG59 ones I've seen are indeed single use and hence useless... Likewise the compression tool...

but there are the die based ones, of which I need to acquire the die.

Comment

try aliexpress.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  how do you crimp the center pin?
                  Usually the center pin is the inner copper wire itself stripped from the coax cable.
                  (Not sure if that was the question, though)

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                    RG-59 rings I have mangled and fudged with pliers, not a decent option.
                    Me neither.
                    But since i only do it very occasionally never bored to buy the crimp tool.

Comment

center pin is silver plated brass on BNC's,
                      the only connector that uses the internal conductor as the pin is an "F" connector.
                      and those are 75ohm and only used for tv(inc sat & cable feeds).
                      and for F connectors the twist-on ones are best.

Comment

There are some RG connectors with a screw-on threaded collar, so you don't need specialized tools.

The crimping tool (coax) dies pay for themselves when you make BNC-BNC test leads and cables. Also need something for Molex pins or crimp connectors sometimes.
                        The Ali store sells 44 different kinds of dies. Wow.

Comment

I make up a lot of these cables for people and have never found a decent crimp tool for RF connectors, and never had any success with the compression types. I once brought a 100 of the %^$*&^ things from a local supplier and got nowhere with them, took the lot back to the supplier with cable and asked them to make up a set. That was an epic fail hence I don't use crimp or compression types.

If some one does come up with a decent crimp tool for RF connectors point me in the direction please.

Comment

Yeah, most of the screw on connectors cost $ARM$LEG. Grr.

On the other hand, I thought the RG59 compression connectors were really consistent (because so many are made/used, they had to get it right for the cable layman.) Crimp connectors, on the other hand, take forever to put together and touchy, especially if you didn't cut and strip the right lengths...

I might end up having to buy a crimp tool as there are no cheap compression connectors for RG58, etc... Sigh. Just need to find one that supports all the cables I could possibly need with the minimal amount of dies.

Comment

this whole thread is pointless unless someone actually names the connector type rather than the cable.
                              FFS, i could terminate rg59 in a terminal block!

Comment

BNC crimp, N crimp, PL-259 crimp, whatever - they all use the same collar when dealing with crimps - depending on the cable!

I don't think terminal blocks come with crimps and the SWR would be miserable.
                                Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

well they all have a center pin - the pl259 is a solder job obviously.

Comment

In all these cases, the center pin is not a problem with ad hoc tools or even solder if it comes down to it (unless the connector was designed to be soldered, then your choices are limited.) The problem has always been dealing with the shield, namely, crimping it.
                                    Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

GRR... I just chanced upon a ratcheting hand crimper tool with a die I don't need... seems that the dies may not be interchangeable between the different tools even though they look so much alike?

Anyone used them? What brands are out there? Could they be jury rigged to fit?

Comment

every company uses there own spacing for the die screws/clamps.

if i ever but another crimp tool it will probably be an "Engineer" brand.
                                        but they arent cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                        X