Kitchenaid food processor burnt wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchenaid food processor burnt wire

I'm trying to fix my kitchenaid food processor KFP750WH. The on button will press properly and the light will go on, but it will not run.

I've experienced this before and taken it apart, and previously there would be a connection that simply disconnected. I would reattach it and it would be fine. Now, that connection is burnt and partially broken off.

I put a few pictures here. I have no problem getting my hands a little dirty but can't figure out the best way to remake this connection. The male part where it attaches seems to have a little coating from the plastic from the wire (female) attachment. I'm assuming i can scratch this coating off. The female connector is unfamiliar to me with regards to naming it and getting a replacement, if possible.

thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

Re: Kitchenaid food processor burnt wire

i would fit a new blade and spade connector and push them together and then solder them together .

Comment

it's just a spade connector in a plastic housing.
      you can just crimp an insulated one onto the wire
      find out the width of the tab though, they come in different sizes.
      the common ones are 4.8mm and 6.something

and the insulated crimps usually come in red, blue and yellow - the colour indicates the maximum wire diameter.
      you can probably get them anywhere that sells stuff for cars - even a gas station

Comment

No go to a appliance repair shop and get the high temperature blade crimps the are used on compressor terminals or stove type of crimps will also work if they fit they also come in two sizes

The ones that are used in automotive use are not ( high temperature terminals ) —> ( heavy current use devices )

You will have to use heat shrink tubing because as far as I know they do not come that way

One note this type of crimps are harder to crimp than automotive type crimps and they are made differently

You just need side cutters to close the crimp tabs depending on which stile that you can find

I hope this helps you
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-18-2021, 10:51 AM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

What a great community here! such quick answers and help. I appreciate it.

It's not easy to measure but it looks like the male tab is approx 0.25".

A couple of questions still:
          1. Would this be a good recommendation, considering the internal heat?
          https://www.amazon.com/Supco-T1111-D...ustrial&sr=1-5

2. for heat shrink, do I just do this around the small hole (where the wire goes through) or do i need to heat shrink the entire area?

Thanks!

Comment

Gently scrape off the melted plastic from the relay terminal and I would put on a new crimp connector, something not from china where the metal is thin-not copper, plating is crap and the spring is flat.

From the pic is #18AWG 105°C wire, KFP750WH is 700W around 6A.
            I use TE Connectivity 1/4" or 6.35mm terminals from Mouser (no.. Texas storm now) or Digi-Key. The Amazon part looks OK but it's from china, nothing great.

You can put a piece of heatshrink or silicone sleeve over the connector and wire. The old cover that is melted, could cut off that bit and use the stub.

Comment

Originally posted by pulper111 View Post
              What a great community here! such quick answers and help. I appreciate it.

It's not easy to measure but it looks like the male tab is approx 0.25".

A couple of questions still:
              1. Would this be a good recommendation, considering the internal heat?
              https://www.amazon.com/Supco-T1111-D...ustrial&sr=1-5

Thanks!

Yes this would work and I have use this brand in the past and had no issues with them

However if you can Japan made terminals that are high temperature terminals would be the best but I have not found them very often
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-18-2021, 03:59 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Just want to give a big thanks to everyone here! I received the quick disconnects in the link above, used the side cutters (helpful tip!) to close the gap, scraped off the burnt stuff (another helpful tip) and then put on some heat shrink. a couple pics here to show the finished product.

wouldn't pass for professional but i've just used it and it works well.

thanks!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

One thing I would recommend is after you have used for awhile take it back apart and see if there any issues with again
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X