Win xp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win xp ?

I have W7 / dream studio set up rite now . For some reason the vlc player and Opera browser did not want to set up on dream studio , so I use W7 part of the time .
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?dis...on=dreamstudio
    p.s. For any one hear that does not know what Xubuntu is
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xubuntu
    Last edited by desert-rat; 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
      He's already dual-booting with Xubuntu.

I stated:{ i have Installed Xubuntu 12.04 along side win xp which works great.}

Thanks iti; for reeding well my post for help about win xp,cause some people start to judge without reeding well posts threads ,and come up with the weirdest answers,better keep quit and not butt in.

Comment

I have only seen SP3 cause problems on problematic machines. On a healthy PC that runs XP it does fine. It can reset some default behaviors that effect performance and if that's the case do the required tweaking to set them back. SP3 can also slow boot times for a couple of restarts while it reconfigures whatever you or it has changed after initial install.

Comment

Not my intention to hijack or derail your thread , just let know you are not stuck using one operating system .

Comment

Thanks guys ,i was able to go in microsoft and downloaded winXp SP3 from this link.
            and install went good, also downloaded firefox30.
            But the pc some times still shutts off when in facebook or some other sites.
            I tried to install AVG but it will not install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
              Thanks guys ,i was able to go in microsoft and downloaded winXp SP3 from this link.
              and install went good, also downloaded firefox30.
              I tried to install AVG but it will not install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24
              That link does not work. Usually when an AV suite will not install, ( you are not giving enough info why or error messages ) means you could have a malware virii or rootkit on the machine. Does the computer just shut off or restart automatically? More detailed and accurate info would help.

Comment

Try this link for Windows Xp (sp3) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Click on Download, next page, click on the "Proceed with this download", then click "Next".
                On the next page you can click on "No thanks and continue"
                Last edited by R_J; 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                  Check the CPU heatsink.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    Try this link for Windows Xp (sp3) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Click on Download, next page, click on the "Proceed with this download", then click "Next".
                    On the next page you can click on "No thanks and continue"
                    Thanks R_J: that one works, sorry for mine not working it was exactly where i did download Win Xp sps3

Comment

I have recently run into a problem installing AVG on XP from the stub downloader too. Try to find the full, offline installer and use that instead, if that doesn't work then try a previous version of AVG and after installation you can update it to the current version. The offline and previous versions are a little hard to find but they are out there.

Comment

You may want to do scan on the hard drive with something like seagate seatools, sometimes one bad sector can cause problems (usually happens in the page file area)
                        Then I would do a virus scan with something like Kaspersky rescue disk from a cd/dvd or usb drive. (hirens boot cd/dvd), It does'nt hurt to check.

Comment

Hi guys after instal reinstall i think i finlely got it running with win SP2 only,and installed google chrome and so far i only have encoutered a small issue is that some times wireless fails and the only way i can connect is by going in firewall and switch it on and off,Well hope it holds on.
                          I only going to use it for a Music Notation program and download my piano gigs to Utube.
                          most times i will boot with Xubuntu,
                          Last edited by ivtec; 06-22-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                            SP3 has slowed down every computer I have installed it on, including one with 2GB of RAM. I haven't seen a computer running XP with more RAM than that.
                            I ran systems with ~3.3GB (out of 4GB installed, minus overhead from 32bit limitation) and saw no difference from SP3, but with heavy multitasking the extra 1.3GB really sped the systems up. IMO at 3.3GB you want XP SP3 for a good computing experience, it's not enough memory for the same performance with Vista or later, forcing purchase of a SSD to counter having too little memory available for caching.

Web review benchmarks of clean systems doing nothing but the benchmark state differently but of course they would, having a smaller memory footprint than everyday use systems that load a lot at boot time, and rebooting to flush the cache which is the exact opposite of what you want to do for the memory to benefit with caching.

Comment

Working...
                            X