T-CON Check Spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-CON Check Spreadsheet

Attached is a little utility spreadsheet for inputting gamma voltages, VCOM, AVDD, VGH and VGL to see if your T-CON board is working for LCDs.

Beta v0.01 may have bugs but please feel free to evaluate for testing purposes.

Tested only in OO.org and Google Spreadsheet. Not fully tested in Excel -- appreciate any feedback on that.

Enjoy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tom66; 02-15-2014, 08:45 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: T-CON Check Spreadsheet

Thanks tom66.

usefull info.

Regards

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
        Not fully tested in Excel -- appreciate any feedback on that.
        Have had a play on it in Excel not that I understand what its about but anything that helps test a tcon has to be good instead of test/clean the cables check voltage at fuse> look for a new board!!

Just one query - I was just playing at random numbers and it seems that to get a pass the voltage has to decrease on each step - right?
        So if I enter 19v 18v then7v6v5v4v3v2v1v on a 9 sequence it would record
        a pass but would the massive jump actually be a fail. (Does the test need more parameters like y must be less than x but not by more than 3(arbitrary number}
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Whoever did this piece of work is quite an expert at EXCEL.
          I randomly did some inputs and it works. Really appreciate this 'new tool'.
          Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Excel isn't hard, it's just equations and overly-complicated IF-equations (just click any cell to view the formula!) I did it in openoffice because I don't have a copy of Excel.

The voltage has to increase OR decrease, in other words, differential voltage from point to point, the sign of the number needs to stay the same. Also, the symmetry test mirrors the voltages around VCOM (AVDD/2 or mid point average of gamma voltages) and sees if they match up. The symmetry test is an additional test, both should be done. It's a lot harder to do in your head. If either of these fail, the result is a guaranteed fail.

Note -- the Detailed Results tab is more of an internal debug tab -- you should look at Summary for overall conclusion.

New version coming soon with improvements and bug fixes.
            Last edited by tom66; 02-16-2014, 01:56 PM.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

v1.1
              Bug fix:
              - handle symmetry curve check >18 items (typo)
              - new symmetry display
              - formatting improvements
              - added "v1.1" to title
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much for doing this Tom.

It worked great!

Now I just have to decide if I replace the T-Con or just the IC.
                Great to know what is wrong and it cost me nothing.

Mark

Comment

thank you Tom66!

Comment

Just encountered a TV with this symptom, tested and repaired 100% successfully thanks to your spreadsheet, thank you

Comment

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, it's very interesting and it did help me already a lot to understand things about LCD televisions. Thanks to this forum I suspect T-con board, before I also thought of mainboard..

I am troubleshooting a Sony KDL-37V4000 and it has all the symptoms decribed here in this forum of a faulty T-con board (the AS15 issue). The screen has a white wash and the colors look inverted. All the AV inputs show the same thing and also the menu.

The T-Con board is from AUOpto and it has the AS15. The code is: T370XW02 VC CTRL BD.

I measured the Reference points and entered the values in the Excel from Tom66 and the outcome was "failure". The reference points don't show a monolitic line, actually it goes up and down...

These are the measured values:

VGL >> -6,01V
                      VGHC >> +26,53V
                      VCOM2 >> +6,53V
                      AVDD >> +15,60V
                      VGMA_REF >> +15,33V
                      REF_1 >> 15,33V
                      REF_2 >> 15,32V
                      REF_6 >> 13,39V
                      REF_7 >> 13,05V
                      REF_8 >> 12,94V
                      REF_10 >> 12,21V
                      REF_11 >> 7,33V
                      REF_12 >> 6,84V
                      REF_13 >> 14,21V
                      REF_15 >> 10,48V
                      REF_16 >> 9,85V
                      REF_17 >> 8,65V
                      REF_21 >> 0,933V
                      REF_F22 >> 0,310V

The namings and numberings of the testpoints are like I wrote them down, so some numbers seem to be skipped (they are not present on the PCB). In the Excel sheet I filled them in on row 1 till 14 (left VGMA_REF out). There was no video input connected, so I had the white wash screen with only the channel number some OSD info.

Can one (or more) of the more experienced forum members concerning this subject confirm to me that the readings of the testpoints are indicating a faulty AS15?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply..

Comment

i would certainly say there bad

Comment

Ok, thanks. Then I will order the AS15 and then try to fix this Tcon board. SMD desoldering and soldering however is totally new for me, so I'll watch youtube videos and try on old computer PCB's first...

Another thing from I learnt from the postings there's a lot of rubbish being sold out there on internet (buying 5 AS15 and only 3 of them are ok...), smells like "component maffia"..

Comment

Sometimes they sell used chips, or bundle fakes and legit ones together. You never know what you're going to get if it comes from China.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks bro

Comment

Hi all,

Just to let you know that changing the AS15 fixed the issue and the Sony KDL-37V4000 is working fine again. I measured the voltages of the reference points of the AUOpto T370XW02 VC CTRL BD again after replacing the AS15 for your information, indeed very different values now (see my earlier post for the wrong values):

VGL >> -6,01V
                                VGHC >> +26,52V
                                VCOM2 >> +6,53V
                                AVDD >> +15,61V
                                VGMA_REF >> +15,33V
                                REF_1 >> 15,33V
                                REF_2 >> 14,95V
                                REF_6 >> 10,48V
                                REF_7 >> 9,75V
                                REF_8 >> 9,50V
                                REF_10 >> 7,85V
                                REF_11 >> 7,33V
                                REF_12 >> 6,84V
                                REF_13 >> 6,32V
                                REF_15 >> 4,64V
                                REF_16 >> 4,36V
                                REF_17 >> 3,82V
                                REF_21 >> 0,380V
                                REF_F22 >> 0,309V

Comment

I downloaded the spreadsheet (ver1.1) into Excel and this is great. There seemed to be index references on the Detailed Results page, on the Monotonicity Test, Voltage column (Index 11 is duplicated from 10 and follows down to Index 19). I had a couple questions on the Symmetry Test. On the Fwd Volt you use the range from b7-b23 and on the Rev volt you use b7-b30. Should they both use the same range? Also in the column Fwd Norm, the first row starts with L18 and goes down to L12, then the next row is L19 and goes to L24. Is this suppose to be in this order? Sorry, I don't mean to question your spreadsheet, I am still learning and want to make sure I am understanding it correctly. I am trying to figure out if a board I purchased is actually good. Does the Symmetry Test show if the t-con board is bad or just the AS15 chip? This is the first I've seen this spreadsheet and I think it is so helpful, thank you for doing this.

Comment

Hi all you helpful badcaps contributors. I need some help!

TV: Vizio VX37L 10A
                                    T-Con: AUO T370XW02 V5 CB 06A69-1A (TS-5537T03021-76A-DE20000-02975-08)

history: I got this tv used in early Dec. 2015, without actually trying it out, but on the word of someone that had and said it was fine. Well, fine to some is not fine to others. The color was sort of over saturated for my taste, too dark, and significant ghosting or image persistence, with very light backgrounds (e.g. people against a grey sky), and with the menu, or banners, like scrolling ones on the news etc.

So, after too much time tweaking the settings i was able to adjust to a point i could live with it. It was 'ok' till early Feb. Then i went out of town for 2 weeks, came back, fired it up, it was fine for about 10 minutes, then poof. . . went to a washed out, nearly all white/grey, with faint images (about 95% opacity), but sound was fine. Maybe it's important to note the house was cold, around 65F, and possibly some condensation was formed as it warmed up?

I did everything I could think of and managed to get more of a super-saturated image at one point, rainbow effect type thing, but it's mostly all-white, all the time.

As of today I'm on my 2nd used T-con board, and it's giving me a big fat red failed (using tom66's spreadsheet t-con check, thank you tom!) just like the original and 1st replacement board.

Ok, my bad. I got the 1st used board off of ebay from someone claiming it was pulled from a working machine with a cracked screen. Define working machine. Did someone throw a brick at it because of the washed out picture?

Slow learner here. I got another used board from some outfit on Bonanza, making the same claim about it having come from a working set.

I could post the numbers for all three if that's helpful, but I they're all failed, failed, failed. And the symptoms are the same as referenced many, many times on this site in various threads for failed AS15's. With the #2 board the image was a little different, even more washed out, like 99% opacity, but basically the same.

I need some advice. Should I try and replace the AS15 myself, or, as many have asked in the past, is there potentially something else causing this same result? Or is it impossible to know that without testing with a known good t-con board?

I'm a little concerned because at some point I read or saw a statement from shopJ, that said the only way to know if it IS the t-con board is to replace it, but if it isn't bad, and it's the panel, that would damage the replacement t-con board. Am i damaging the t-con boards I'm trying?

At some point I saw a youtube vid that demonstrated the test where you disconnect the ribbon cables to the panel from the t-con, one at a time to see IF the panel is bad or not I can't find that video again. Should I be looking for a bad panel? Is there an easy test?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

BTW, did you put the heat transfer silicone pad back in place on top of the IC which also make contact with the metal shield?
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

oops, I should have stated that the washed out screen is also on the menu OSD too. And I've let it sit for days, unplugged, held down on button when it was off, yadda, yadda. Did the "reset" from within the menu a few times too. nada, nothing.

also inspected the mainboard and power supply for any obvious bad caps. There are two really big caps under a big heat sink on the PS that looked a tiny bit suspect, tops ever so slightly raised. It's really hard to take a picture of them, but when compared to another pic of the same PS online they look the same. And I read someone stated that it's rare those large caps that fail. So, I'm trusting that is true.

And lastly, if you haven't gathered by now I am almost a complete novice when it comes to this type of stuff, but I'm die hard diy'er and a lifetime tinkerer and fixer of all things broken. This one's giving me a fit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X