Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many caps should i replace.

(This is post #2 for me)

I've already had success recapping a EPoX 8RGA board but i didn't replace everything above 470uF. Should i have?

I decided that if any cap showed signs of swelling i would replace all of that type. One type i left, showed absolutely no signs of swelling or leaking.

The board seems to work without any drawbacks.

Should i expect problems later?

Re: How many caps should i replace.

they look like sanyos should be fine

what caps did you use
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

When i ordered the caps the only ones i could find from the 'Known Good Caps' list were these (from DigiKey)

ELXZ6R3ELL152MJ20S - 1500uF, 6.3v, 10mm diameter LXZ Radial
      ELXZ6R3ELL102MH15D - 1000uF, 6.3v, 8mm diameter LXZ Radial

I have since discovered Mouser and Farnell, and i'm a little more proficient in searching for parts. DigiKey has many more compatible parts available.

I also noticed two other places in the states that cater to MB repair.

STSI has a supply of Panasonic FC caps
      http://www.stsi.net/storefrontprofil...104074&c=91679

and Computek has something they identify as only:

"high quality Japanese ultra low ESR & low impedance computer grade caps found in many high end motherboards, power supplies, and LCD monitors."

http://www.computekinc.us/prod01.htm

A part number would be nice.

Comment

I just bought some from Computek and they are Rubycon MCZ and MBZ's. Look like the real thing too
        Regards,
        db

Comment

Originally posted by dungbeetle
          I just bought some from Computek and they are Rubycon MCZ and MBZ's. Look like the real thing too
          Were they prompt? (PayPal and i are trying to make peace, so i need a source that accepts credit card.)

Originally posted by willawake
          they look like sanyos should be fine
          Yes, i think they are.

I did leave a row of GSC caps on the board behind the Sanyos. They didn't show any signs of swelling............but they're 'GSC' caps. (I opened the case back up to double-check.)

Can i assume that not all of the caps on a MB work to their limit?
          (When it's time to take out the trash should i make sure to take out ALL the trash?)
          Last edited by gastorgrab; 05-14-2007, 04:13 PM.

Comment

That GSCs will die - sooner or later. As it's probably worst cap brand ever, I always replace them all (unlike OST, TEAPO or G-Luxon).

Comment

Won't they all die sooner or later?

In a couple of years time this board will be so slow it may be completely unusable anyway.

Comment

No, GSC is the one of the worst brands, they do failfore shure and probably soon.
                A good cap will outlast the usefull live of a PC system with ease. But those definitely not.

Comment

Originally posted by gastorgrab
                  Were they prompt? (PayPal and i are trying to make peace, so i need a source that accepts credit card.)
                  Yes! I ordered them on a Thursday afternoon and had them Saturday. I was impressed.
                  Regards,
                  db

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                    No, GSC is the one of the worst brands, they do failfore shure and probably soon.
                    A good cap will outlast the usefull live of a PC system with ease. But those definitely not.
                    Hmmmmmm.....

......all the garbage above 470uF as show here?;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacit...ing_capacitors
                    Typically, only electrolytic capacitors with rated at 470 uF and above will fail. The smaller capacitances are presumably implemented with different electrolytes. They are also typically used for coupling and not voltage control. As such, they are not heavily stressed.

Usually, when motherboards are recapped, all the 'bad brand' capacitors of 1000 uF and above and any 470 uF or above in the vicinity of the VRMs (Voltage Regulators), CPU, chipset, memory, or AGP slot are replaced. Capacitors in other areas are typically used for signal coupling and not voltage control. ESR is not critical for coupling capacitors so one that is simply operating out of range normally does not cause problems. (Although a completely failed coupling capacitor will.)

Failing capacitors with smaller values are not unheard of, nor are bad brand capacitors (of any value) failing electrically with no visible symptoms, so replacing all capacitors may be advisable, particularly if the existing capacitors are from a questionable manufacturer.
                    ....or all the garbage, period?

Yes! I ordered them on a Thursday afternoon and had them Saturday. I was impressed.
                    I'm there right now, and yes they do accept credit card. It looks like even the credit card orders are routed through PayPal. It doesn't surprise me since i found the site by a posting on ebay.

Comment

Generally, it's considered 'best practice' to replace all the trash capacitors 1000uF and up on any given platform you're repairing/recapping

BTW is that a Teapo I see hiding up the back of the RAM slots (in the first picture)?
                      Last edited by tazwegion; 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM.
                      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Originally posted by tazwegion
                        BTW is that a Teapo I see hiding up the back of the RAM slots (in the first picture)?

Comment

That's funny.

That Teapo is the same value as the 10mm GSC caps i already replaced. - (1500uF, 6.3v, 10mm)

Why would they use a different manufacturer for this one part?

Comment

May be the GSC stock was sold out, and thus they order a few milions of teapos.

Comment

Well i didn't realize that the one Teapo was part of that same group. Had i seen this post i would have changed it the first time.

Comment

Yeah, i got the same here. These will go into the BX133;

10v, 1000uF, Rubycon MCZ to replace the 10v, 1000uF JackCon
                                10v, 1500uF, Rubycon MBZ to replace the 6.3v, 1500uF JackCon

I couldn't seem to find an 8mm, 6.3v, 1500uF cap anywhere that accepts credit card......ummmm.....without having to buy a quantity of 400 pieces.

Comment

Second order from Computek, not so good.

The 2200uF, 16v, 10mm caps are Rubycon, but they are PX series. These aren't low ESR caps are they?

Yes sir, a part number would really be helpful

Of the second cap in the same order, what came are 470uF, 16v, 8mm Rubycon MBZ.

Comment

i think you should complain and get the PX replaced. they are not what i would call "motherboard capacitors"

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                      i think you should complain and get the PX replaced. they are not what i would call "motherboard capacitors"
                                      Is there a spec sheet for the PX series somewhere on this forum?

I like to be prepared when i start trouble.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                        X