Win xp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win xp ?

Hi guys i have here a n Old Vaio P m 1.5 cpu, Mem1G, and i have installed in xp sp1 from the recovery cds that came from sony,i got win xp sp2 from a download link which installed.
    how can i make it workable,i have I6 and i tried upgrade to I8 but will not install also tried to install Firefox but it wont install either,
    i have Installed Xubuntu 12.04 along side win xp which works great.

Re: Win xp ?

Check the disk for errors and do a virus scan. Then try installing SP3 for XP.

Comment

you need sp3.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
        you need sp3.
        Thanks guys,i shouldn't have any virus cause i just did the fresh reinstall,anybody has a good link for sps3.thanks

Comment

be warned,
          sp3 will slow it right down.

Comment

You can still get it from Microsoft last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              be warned,
              When SP3 was released, I remember everyone saying that it would make everything faster.

According to Microsoft, SP3 should download through Windows Update. It can still be downloaded here:
              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24
              There is also a CD image:
              http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=25129
              Last edited by lti; 06-17-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

be warned,
                I've installed it on hundreds of PCs - including some older ones, and it's never made one of them slower than SP2.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

it will be slower if your not stacked with ram.
                  it's caused by extra security(insecurity?) crap.

Comment

The OP has 1GB, which is plenty. I haven't found it to make any difference on machines with 1GB of RAM.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

that's a lot of ram for an xp era machine - most only have 512meg

Comment

SP3 has slowed down every computer I have installed it on, including one with 2GB of RAM. I haven't seen a computer running XP with more RAM than that.
                        Last edited by lti; 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.I was able to get I8 but those microsoft for Sp3 links will not open.well for now if i do not use internet it will run ok,i just need to run a music programe thanks.

Comment

If you want to go a different direction , some of the Linux distros will run on older systems . I will post more if asked.

Comment

http://distrowatch.com
                              that pretty much covers it

Comment

as i remember because of my dang photographic memory ivtec is the one constantly posting ubuntu questions.
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                  as i remember because of my dang photographic memory ivtec is the one constantly posting ubuntu questions.
                                  goontron tell me what does that has to do with this,you are kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                                    goontron tell me what does that has to do with this,you are kidding!
                                    as i remember he is runnning ubuntu, so why post this?
                                    http://distrowatch.com
                                    that pretty much covers it

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Distro watch would of been the link I would of posted. With a link to Wattos , I know it, and a few other distros are written to run on older systems . Ubuntu and many other distros of Linux wont run on older systems . If any one hear does not know , you down load an i.s.o. image , burn it to a disk and run it as a live cd/dvd to see if it will work with all your hard ware .
                                      http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wattos
                                      http://www.ubuntu.com
                                      p.s. Hear is the distro watch page for Ubuntu , with a link to there user forum . Ubuntu questions might be better answered there .
                                      http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu
                                      Last edited by desert-rat; 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM.

Comment

He's already dual-booting with Xubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                                        X