Haier L42B1180 - solid blue light, EEPROM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haier L42B1180 - solid blue light, EEPROM problem

So my reading on these forums suggests that a HAIER with a solid blue light that won't turn on probably has a bad EEPROM at U11.

Shop jimmy doesn't have one for my main board (looks the same but numbers don't match)

I ordered a replacement EEPROM from Digikey.

If I put it in blank will the CPU fill it up on forst POST or do I need to pre-program it?

I'm lucky in that my set is still intermittantly working but I've read the EEPROM multiple times and can never get my programmer to "verify" it so I don't know if what I'm pulling is any good.

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

JayArr

Re: Haier L42B1180 - solid blue light, EEPROM problem

You can try freezing the eeprom and see if the tv will turn on, You need to freeze the eeprom with the tv unplugged, then plug the tvin and see if it turns on. If that works, remove the eeprom, freeze it, read it, and program the new ic.
    Usually the microprocessor is dumb and the program is stored in the eeprom, but not always.

Comment

Are you reading it on or off the board ?

Comment

I'm reading it on the board, power off, with a clip.

Comment

You need to take it off the board to read it properly.

Comment

CH341A is all you need. But the motherboard and panel code is required to look for the right software.
            Attached Files

Comment

Regardless of which programmer is used the only reliable way to read the EEPROM is off the board.

Comment

I agree with the above, when the clip applies power to the eeprom it also applies power to the rest of the circuit, like the microprocessor so it could be trying to access the eeprom at the same time. also the voltage could just be droping out due to lack of current from the usb programmer

Comment

Thanks Yokoono

The sticker on the mainboard has these numbers:

222-110505001
                  TV 222-110418005-v420h2l01

Where would I find the panel number and can you point me to where I'd look for a file? I've already searched this forum and came up empty is there somewhere else on the net to look?

As far as reading the IC off board with freeze spray, I'll give it a try, I've got to remove the old one anyway I'll take it off carefully instead of cutting the legs.

That said, I've read hundreds of EEPROMS on the board sucessfully, mostly in handheld radios like Motorola or Kenwood but also from computer motherboards, industrial computers, optical equipment etc. My experience is that it works just fine.

I've found that in most modern designs the CPU and EEPROM use different VCCs from separate regulators, the CPU is very low, around 1.2V and the EEPROM is usually around 3.3V. Powering the EEPROM should not power up the CPU or make anything run. Since an EEPROM is basically only connected to a CPU it's isolated with the power off, there may be other things running on the 3.3V line that will get powered up but they shouldn't affect the EEPROM.

The programmer I use has a dedicated power supply from the wall, it doesn't rely on USB power so maybe it's better at powering the circuit to get a reading than a programmer that only uses USB power. Like I said, never had a problem before.

JayArr

Comment

I've got the kit in post #6 and have experienced it myself. There are also several cases on this forum that have had the same issue until they removed the EEPROM.

Comment

Thanks Diff

I'm using a GQ-4x4 like this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PRG-1117-GQ-...MAAOSwi6dcIWzN

It doesn't show it in the pic but there is an external power supply so that the USB power isn't relied on. The trouble with USB power is that it varies from computer to computer, motherboard to motherboard and sometimes the front ports have different rated regulators than the rear ports. It's a real crapshoot as to how much power the port is able to supply.

My problem isn't that I can't read the IC, I can and it has readable data, I can see the message texts and text from the menus in the editor page of the programmer software. The problem is that when I ask the programmer to "verify" by re-reading the EEPROM and comparing to the buffer it always fails. Maybe I'll try freeze spray on the board first and then if that doesn't work I'll remove and try freeze spray with the IC in the SOIC adapater. I'd just feel a lot better if I had a "verified" file of the EEPROM.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by JayArr_BC; 05-28-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

It's always chip off for me on one of my programmers connected to a rear USB because I encountered similar issues early on.

Comment

I had this problem verifying an original (from the tv) eeprom until I froze it, then it would verify. This was with the chip removed and in the programmer
                          Last edited by R_J; 05-28-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X